Offical Omega CMVS Tech Support Thread

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
PSU is the most common cause of random resets. If you have a multimeter, check the voltage coming off the barrel of the AC adapter.

I don't have one at the moment, just gonna send this back for repair. Apparently there may be some RAM issues on the board which is definitely not something I'd feel comfortable fixing myself.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Hi all,

I had my omega for a while now and have decided to use component for the first time and noticed the picture is extremely bright and washed out. Upon further research, this appears to be a common problem for the omega when using component. Has anybody come up with a fix for this issue?

Last edited:

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Hi all,

I had my omega for a while now and have decided to use component for the first time and noticed the picture is extremely bright and washed out. Upon further research, this appears to be a common problem for the omega when using component. Has anybody come up with a fix for this issue?

I've had my Omega for years and have only ever used component out and never experienced the issues you're reporting. I've used it on both an HD Vizio 70" and currently an 86" LG Super UHD using a RetroTINK 2X. Where did you hear this was a problem with the Omega?

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I've had my Omega for years and have only ever used component out and never experienced the issues you're reporting. I've used it on both an HD Vizio 70" and currently an 86" LG Super UHD using a RetroTINK 2X. Where did you hear this was a problem with the Omega?

I just tried it with my other flat screen TV and have no issues. Looks like its issues with the TV (24in Vizio ) instead of the console. I have the same problem in this guy's youtube video that prompted me to try out the component at the 6 minute mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBCWqnJ-pxI

Move along, nothing to see here haha.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Check if there's a game mode on the TV, it will usually darken the image on some brands

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
I just tried it with my other flat screen TV and have no issues. Looks like its issues with the TV (24in Vizio ) instead of the console. I have the same problem in this guy's youtube video that prompted me to try out the component at the 6 minute mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBCWqnJ-pxI

Move along, nothing to see here haha.

Good to hear man, enjoy and Happy New Year to you.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member

Interesting - I use component out and it gives me an overblown signal on the retrotink but not my TV and HD receiver. I talked to Mike Chi and it’s a reported issue with the Omega.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I’ve never had any issues with my Omega via component or RGB, but I’ve always run mine into a CRT. Here’s a video on how to “upgrade” your video, but I’ve never noticed any of these issues with mine.

Last edited:

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
Interesting - I use component out and it gives me an overblown signal on the retrotink but not my TV and HD receiver. I talked to Mike Chi and it’s a reported issue with the Omega.

I believe the incompatibility with the RetroTink 2X is a known issue for the Omega

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I believe the incompatibility with the RetroTink 2X is a known issue for the Omega

It is, which is why I’m curious how TMOSteel says his Omega works with the RetroTink2X over component

TMOSteel

20 Year Member

Can you clarify what's meant by an "overblown" signal? I may not be up on all my terms as of late, thanks.

Interesting, I did not know this when I first heard of the RetroTINK back in August of 2018 from a user on AtariAge.

It is, which is why I’m curious how TMOSteel says his Omega works with the RetroTink2X over component

I picked up my Omega from Quan back in January of 2013; in November of 2015 I shipped it back to him to install the NeoBiosMasta VMC.

The RetroTINK 2X is the original version from Mike Chi purchased back in August of 2018 (I believe he has revised the RetroTINK since then, to resolve a Nintendo 64 issue).

I'm running the Omega with the component cables into the RetroTINK which is then connected directly to my LG UHD TV.

Back when I first got the Omega I had a 70" Vizio HDTV that accepted the 240p signal and had component inputs. My Onkyo AV receiver at the time did not, I think the minimum it accepted was 480i.

When the Vizio developed issues I replaced it with an LG back in 2017, only to find the LG wouldn't accept the 240p signal either.

When I heard about the RetroTINK and the fact that it supported more usable inputs for me than the OSSC I purchased it from Mike and received it in November of 2018.

I tried connecting the RetroTINK to the same Onkyo receiver but could not get a signal with either component or S-VIDEO out of the Omega.

Connecting it directly to the LG worked like a charm, and as far as I can tell it looks great.

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Can you clarify what's meant by an "overblown" signal? I may not be up on all my terms as of late, thanks.

Interesting, I did not know this when I first heard of the RetroTINK back in August of 2018 from a user on AtariAge.

I picked up my Omega from Quan back in January of 2013; in November of 2015 I shipped it back to him to install the NeoBiosMasta VMC.

The RetroTINK 2X is the original version from Mike Chi purchased back in August of 2018 (I believe he has revised the RetroTINK since then, to resolve a Nintendo 64 issue).

I'm running the OMEGA with the component cables into the RetroTINK which is then connected directly to my LG UHD TV.

Back when I first got the Omega I had a 70" Vizio HDTV that accepted the 240p signal and had compoenent inputs. My Onkyo AV receiver at the time did not, I think the minimum it accepted was 480i.

When the Vizio deveopled issues I replaced it with an LG back in 2017, only to find the LG wouldn't accept the 240p signal either.

When I heard about the RetroTINK and the fact that it supported more usable inputs for me than the OSSC I purchased it from Mike and received it in November of 2018.

I tried connecting the RetroTINK to the same Onkyo receiver but could not get a signal with either component or S-VIDEO out of the Omega.

Connecting it directly to the LG worked like a charm, and as far as I can tell it looks great.

Overblown being an image that is excessively bright. A very washed out image.

Scarlet Sprites (his video has been posted in this thread) had the same issue.

My Omega I got in 2017 and both revisions of the retrotink had the same issue.

You’re the first I’ve heard say it looks fine.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Overblown being an image that is excessively bright. A very washed out image.

Scarlet Sprites (his video has been posted in this thread) had the same issue.

My Omega I got in 2017 and both revisions of the retrotink had the same issue.

You’re the first I’ve heard say it looks fine.

Ah, thank you for clarifying.

Could be I was without the Omega for so long I just didn't notice, and thought I was eating a Saltine cracker, or maybe a Ritz. And all along, it was just a regular old cracker... ;)

Let me look up the video you referenced and see if I can compare it. I'll get back to you.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
be2bcaa4b581caa8f9435ec30105f674.jpg

68558ea95548c158e5f5bf7c7ad7cbf6.jpg
c6ec3504cc0bfd10b90ecc6e3067b8f7.jpg

5d0fd61e7a2b09ebbf230403fbb0d11d.jpg

6f82640d254d73c880a58203210492f7.jpg

For brevity sake, this is what the Omega with component looks like ran through a RetroTink 2X, same results on both revisions (had mine in the initial shipment, the micro usb broke, i was given a new revision by Castlemania).

Component into my Yamaha Aventage Home Theater receiver upscales to 1080P and 4K with no issue. RGB is passable into OSSC.

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Does anyone know where I can purchase of one these so I can test it out personally? The discussion about the retrotink2x seems to directly contradict what RetroRGB says about the RGB output not being bright enough.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Does anyone know where I can purchase of one these so I can test it out personally? The discussion about the retrotink2x seems to directly contradict what RetroRGB says about the RGB output not being bright enough.

I purchased mine from Mike Chi directly:

https://www.retrotink.com/

Looks like he's taking a break until February but he lists 5 resellers on that page.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Castlemania said it was in stock so I placed an order there. The other two domestic shops were out.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I’ve never had any issues with my Omega via component or RGB, but I’ve always run mine into a CRT. Here’s a video on how to “upgrade” your video, but I’ve never noticed any of these issues with mine.

Very interesting rgb replacement video board. It would be interesting to see how the new video board works with the rad2x or hd retrovision cable.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
So, thanks to XxHennersXx, I realized I am fucking going blind. Thanks for that man. ;)

All kidding aside, hooking my Omega back up using the RetroTINK I saw exactly what he was referring to, and it seems my year without playing the Omega left me oblivious to just how "overblown" the image really is.

I played Metal Slug and its related versions, similar to the ScarletSprites YouTube comparisons XxHennersXx posted (and also pointed me to).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBCWqnJ-pxI&t=2s

I also played through a number of other Neo games off my NeoSD just to see what the results were, and the results varied depending on what was being shown on screen. Some games in parts looked great, others not so much (Puzzled for example had extremely almost washed out images on the game intro).

This now makes sense now why my play through of Kraut Buster when I first got it didn't look as good as I expected.

So, what exactly are my options? Here are some questions I had:

1. Is the issue with the Omega, or the RetroTINK? Has Mike Chi posted anything about this or is there an active forum where this can be discussed?

2. Any chance a component/composite board could be made similar to what was done with the RGB board?

Quan, just wondering if you received your RetroTINK yet and got a chance to look at anything? Maybe the existing Omega board could be revised to work with the RetroTINK?

3. DFO mod - would this help this situation in any way, shape or form? If not with the Omega > RetroTINK issue, what about being able to connect my Omega directly to my LG UHD?

In my previous posts I mentioned how I could not connect my Omega to an Onkyo receiver, nor my current LG TV. Both produced an "invalid format" error when the Omega was connected via component.

Now, in playing around with connections presently I actually tried Mode 1 - Transcoding Only on the RetroTINK which is supposed to perform digitization only, and I actually got a picture on my LG with a resolution of 240p (I have normally only used Mode 2 - Line Doubling which outputs 480p).

I'm guessing the RetroTINK outputs a more compatible NTSC signal that the Neo normally does, even if the RetroTINK is set to passthrough? (I'm guessing here of course, I know little to nothing about the inner workings of the Neo, AES or MVS).

I know Xian Xi installs these DFO's in his systems; James, can you shed any light on this or any thoughts on this and if you feel installing a DFO in my Omega might help?

I don't mind if I can hook the Omega directly to my LG as the LG upconverts on its own.

I can keep the RetroTINK for my other systems (and actually that was one of the reasons I bought it).

I appreciate anyone's input.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I only install the DFO if it’s requested. The DFO fixes stutter problems with some upscalers as well as correct the refresh rate to NTSC standard.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
TMOSteel; when i got the RetroTink last year I reached out to Mike Chi over Twitter. His response was that it would be an issue with the Omega.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Very interesting rgb replacement video board. It would be interesting to see how the new video board works with the rad2x or hd retrovision cable.

I'll let you know, I plan on pickup up the replacement AV RGB board as soon as it's available. I reached out to the designer on twitter so more should be on the way. I'm going to pickup the Sega Mega Drive 2 / Genesis 2 RAD2X HDMI cable from Retro Gaming Cables which should be perfect for my setup.

TMOSteel; when i got the RetroTink last year I reached out to Mike Chi over Twitter. His response was that it would be an issue with the Omega.

Interesting; I reached out to him via his site and assuming he was the one replying he was saying it should work correctly. I'm going to point him to this thread in case he wants to read up on it.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I'll let you know, I plan on pickup up the replacement AV RGB board as soon as it's available. I reached out to the designer on twitter so more should be on the way. I'm going to pickup the Sega Mega Drive 2 / Genesis 2 RAD2X HDMI cable from Retro Gaming Cables which should be perfect for my setup.

Interesting; I reached out to him via his site and assuming he was the one replying he was saying it should work correctly. I'm going to point him to this thread in case he wants to read up on it.

I’d like to move all of my equipment to HDMI solutions to more or less future proof my set up. If the RAD2X works well (I imagine it will. I’ve been pleased with the retrotink with everything else) I will swap that board and get that going.

I’m honestly trying to so I can get rid of my CRT - I kept it around for light gun games and I rhythm but most rhythm games are fine on my newest TV and I find myself not ever bringing out the light guns.

The more simplified and plug & play my set up, the better. Which is one thing I really liked about the retrotink 2X

Teknoman

n00b
So for the first time in awhile, I had time to boot up my Omega, but the instant I pressed the on switch, the power light flashed briefly then nothing. Tried different power cables just in case, but it seems to either have given up the ghost or could it be something else? I've had it for a good few years with no issues, so I was really surprised when this happened. I've got light solder experience, but im not sure if this is something I could check to fix on my own or if it may be as simple as replacing something internally?

Sucks because i’ve also got Mutation Nation and Blazing Star on the way.

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
So for the first time in awhile, I had time to boot up my Omega, but the instant I pressed the on switch, the power light flashed briefly then nothing. Tried different power cables just in case, but it seems to either have given up the ghost or could it be something else? I've had it for a good few years with no issues, so I was really surprised when this happened. I've got light solder experience, but im not sure if this is something I could check to fix on my own or if it may be as simple as replacing something internally?

Sucks because i’ve also got Mutation Nation and Blazing Star on the way.

I recommend opening it up, and checking any of the ribbon cables and if nothing then just swapping the PSU to an identical unit. Fortunately everything is connected with ribbon cables so swapping components is easy.