Offical Omega CMVS Tech Support Thread

Teknoman

n00b
https://imgur.com/a/A0YKVPo

So is it just the component connected with the blue and yellow wires that would need replacing? As in where the power cable would plug into, or is it this:

https://imgur.com/a/koM1mgg

Edit: Ah never mind, I see its https://www.meanwellusa.com/productSeries.aspx?i=18&c=6#tag-6-18

Now to see if I can locally source it. Also i may just try to change the fuse first since they're only like a buck or so.

Edit: Fuse didnt work so I guess its just replacing the PSU, but how would you check the model number?

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
If you have a multi-meter, I would check if the psu is getting AC power before purchasing a new PSU. You can shove the probes into the connector where the blue and yellow wires are.

Teknoman

n00b
If you have a multi-meter, I would check if the psu is getting AC power before purchasing a new PSU. You can shove the probes into the connector where the blue and yellow wires are.

Unfortunately I dont have one or access to a multi-meter at the moment. I suppose I could try to source a cheap one just to check?

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Unfortunately I dont have one or access to a multi-meter at the moment. I suppose I could try to source a cheap one just to check?

Harbor Freight has some really cheap ones. Often given away for free with purchase if you have their coupon ad. Just don't expect much.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Check it where the blue and yellow wire path ends (the whitish connector with 2 of 3 pins populated) and see if still reads a similar voltage.

Teknoman

n00b
Check it where the blue and yellow wire path ends (the whitish connector with 2 of 3 pins populated) and see if still reads a similar voltage.

It fluctuates between 1 and 15.

https://imgur.com/a/Llg4R6i

This is just to show how I had the probes set. I only got some sort of reading when applying a bit more pressure to make sure they were fully making contact.

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Just to be sure, that's with the power switch in the ON position? If it is, that small wiring segment needs to be replaced/recrimped.

Teknoman

n00b
Just to be sure, that's with the power switch in the ON position? If it is, that small wiring segment needs to be replaced/recrimped.

Yup it's with the switch in the on position. How would I go about that? I guess I'd rather replace it?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
By design, that power inlet module isn't easy to remove. You need to press in on the snaps on the top, side, and inside where the power plug goes in all at once for it to come out. If you can manage to remove it without snapping off the back panel, you can just send that over and I'll fix the wiring. Alternatively, you can send the entire system and I can check the PSU as well in addition to performing the same upgrades that go on current outgoing systems (replace all sram, new battery, etc). You can also opt to have the VMC upgrade installed as well.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I would totally opt for the VMC upgrade. I had mine done awhile back and it’s great.

Teknoman

n00b
By design, that power inlet module isn't easy to remove. You need to press in on the snaps on the top, side, and inside where the power plug goes in all at once for it to come out. If you can manage to remove it without snapping off the back panel, you can just send that over and I'll fix the wiring. Alternatively, you can send the entire system and I can check the PSU as well in addition to performing the same upgrades that go on current outgoing systems (replace all sram, new battery, etc). You can also opt to have the VMC upgrade installed as well.

Yes I'd rather send the entire system and have the upgrades as well.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
While waiting for the replacement AV RGB board and the Sega Mega Drive 2 / Genesis 2 RAD2X HDMI cable to come back into stock, I picked up the RetroTINK-2X Pro that just came out.

I am not noticing any of the previous issues with the component out on the 2X Pro that showed with the 2X.

Apologies for the crappy video, but I at least wanted to get something out there to compare to the previous 2X.

Let me know what you think of the output compared to the 2X.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
While waiting for the replacement AV RGB board and the Sega Mega Drive 2 / Genesis 2 RAD2X HDMI cable to come back into stock, I picked up the RetroTINK-2X Pro that just came out.

I am not noticing any of the previous issues with the component out on the 2X Pro that showed with the 2X.

Apologies for the crappy video, but I at least wanted to get something out there to compare to the previous 2X.

Let me know what you think of the output compared to the 2X.

Hard to tell. it looks better but really really vibrant -but it could just be your TV settings. I wonder what was changed that increased that compatibility.

2020-02-13.png

I'm waiting for the 2X Pro to come back in stock. Now that the 2X pro and the Scart 2X are coming out and enable scanlines, i'm debating if i want to use the replacement board and the RAD2X.

I was looking at the gscartswitch website and it says Superguns will damage it - can anyone confirm if the Omega is compatible?

Last edited:

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Yeah, this is an 86" UHD 4K LG set, using their default game mode settings for this input. Also, the video was shot in 4K as well, and I noticed watching it at any lower resolution on YouTube you lose a lot of the detail and quality.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Yeah, this is an 86" UHD 4K LG set, using their default game mode settings for this input. Also, the video was shot in 4K as well, and I noticed watching it at any lower resolution on YouTube you lose a lot of the detail and quality.

Yeah, but you see in the picture how that building is purple on the video your recorded? Compared to how it should look in the pic next to it?

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
I do now, thank you for pointing that out. So there are still some issues then even with the Pro. Bummer. I need to try the video settings I have set based on the recommended calibration settings for the TV and see if that makes any difference. I expect it won't, but you never know until you try.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
New problem with my Omega, hopefully someone can chime in here:

I had my Omega hooked up to my ossc via component cable for about 2 years and everything was fine. But out of no where, it started loosing sync a few months ago. I messed around with some ossc settings but couldnt get it it sync again. Thinking maybe there is something wrong with the ossc, I switched the Omega to my Sony CRT via component and it played fine. The ossc has been fine, no problems with any other systems, just the Omega issue.

The Omega has been fine for the few months its been on the CRT. I went to play it last night and the colors looked all wrong...Everything kinda looked off and there was no red, it was kinda of a drab gold color instead of red. I tried 3 carts, all were having the same issue. Thinking maybe its a cable problem I moved the cable around, made sure everything is hooked up right and tight, etc. no change. Tried a different input on the TV, no change. I noticed when I unplug the Red video cable of the component cable, there is no change. Its like its not getting any red. Just in case, I tried my PS2 which is also on component thru the same tv input, and everything looks perfect.

So its definitely something with the Omega. Do you guys think its just the cable, or something more than that?

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member

I had my Omega hooked up to my ossc via component cable for about 2 years and everything was fine. But out of no where, it started loosing sync a few months ago. I messed around with some ossc settings but couldnt get it it sync again. Thinking maybe there is something wrong with the ossc, I switched the Omega to my Sony CRT via component and it played fine. The ossc has been fine, no problems with any other systems, just the Omega issue.

The Omega has been fine for the few months its been on the CRT. I went to play it last night and the colors looked all wrong...Everything kinda looked off and there was no red, it was kinda of a drab gold color instead of red. I tried 3 carts, all were having the same issue. Thinking maybe its a cable problem I moved the cable around, made sure everything is hooked up right and tight, etc. no change. Tried a different input on the TV, no change. I noticed when I unplug the Red video cable of the component cable, there is no change. Its like its not getting any red. Just in case, I tried my PS2 which is also on component thru the same tv input, and everything looks perfect.

So its definitely something with the Omega. Do you guys think its just the cable, or something more than that?

Do you still have the composite cables the Omega shipped with?

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Yikes, it might be somewhere, but I honestly have no idea where. I'll take a look.
Do you know if any other system cable works on the omega?

Ray

New Challenger

I've been having similar problems in both RGB and component mode using original cables shipped with the system. In RGB mode it tends to lose sync or one of the colors, and in component mode it loses red much like you describe. Sometimes re-connecting the cable would solve the problem, and other times a reboot seems to do the trick. I think in my case it may be a problem with the video board or the mini-DIN connector being loose.

I might pick up one of those replacement boards at some point but for now the video problems aren't too common on my end.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member

How long have you had the system and the component cable? I've gone through several revisions of the component cable before I settled on the current batch.