Ys: Memories of Celceta (PS Vita)

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
With my FFXIV ARR sub running out I've been looking for something to fill the void until MK8 arrives on the Wii U. I've read nothing but praise for Ys: Memories of Celceta, so the steep discount given to the game on PSN earlier this month was...timely. I haven't played an Ys game since Book I & II on my Turbo Duo. I suppose a return to the series is long overdue.

As of this post I'm only a few hours in. I can already see why the game has received the praise that it has. It's not the curb appeal; this certainly isn't the best looking Vita game, not by a long shot. It's not the art design; lots of flat polygon backgrounds and recycled enemy models. It's the combat that's the real pull here.

It's the RockSteady Batman games (and Assassin's Creed) all over again. Dodge, counter, combo, special, repeat. Combat is fast, furious and just tons of fun. The gear and skill grind adds additional layers to the simple, addictive combat.

I think I'm hooked.

Has anyone else on the boards played and enjoyed this...diamond in the rough?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Y's games are always a diamond in the rough. When VI hit the PS2 I slaughtered that game. I have put a little time into Y's:MoC and so far I dig it. Hope to finish it soon.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I picked up the CE at release but haven't gotten around to it yet, sounds like I will have to make the time sooner rather than later.

bradtemple87

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I have finished most of the games in the series but I refuse to buy a vita just to play it. The game looks great!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Played I through VI on the PS2. This is a series with great gameplay.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Got to the final boss on 7, but lost steam when I realized how much I still needed to grind to beat him. MoC is good, but feels kinda' lackluster for some reason. I can't put a finger on it, but I'm not really enjoying it as much as the games before it.

prosolis

n00b
We have similar gaming tastes, Magician. I'll pick up a copy of Ys soon.. Ragnarok Odyssey Ace was disappointing.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I think my biggest problem with the game is they use that Bleeding Cowboy typeface on the logo

l_507792f933fac.jpg

Bleeding-CowboysA.png

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Ys' Seven was a damn good game. I played thru it twice.