World Cup 2014 BRASIL

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
you're making some heavy references to 2002, which was a crocked Cup. The circumstances for South Korea getting past Italy were highly dubious. (I would say that the final between Germany and Brazil was a great game, and the overall result was fine).

Uruguay has a great team, and has been damn good for a while now. They have more world cup wins than England, although yeah, that was a helluva long time ago. But I can see Uruguay and Italy going far in this tournament (obviously that means I think England flies home early).

Uruguay is definitely one of the heavy hitters, especially per capita, thats true. I have Uruguay in my final eight in a pool.

Anyway:

Belgium (1986) Bulgaria (1994) Chile (1962) Croatia (1998) South Korea (2002) Turkey (2002) Soviet Union (1966) United States (1930)

Semi-finals can happen at some point for the US (again).

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Uruguay is definitely one of the heavy hitters, especially per capita, thats true. I have Uruguay in my final eight in a pool.

Anyway:

Belgium (1986) Bulgaria (1994) Chile (1962) Croatia (1998) South Korea (2002) Turkey (2002) Soviet Union (1966) United States (1930)

Semi-finals can happen at some point for the US (again).

If you think about Croatia in 1998, that's an amazing feat. They had just gotten their independence, and while Clinton was ruminating over his awesome cash flow from the Yugoslav civil war, the level of talent that once existed to a single country was suddenly split 7 ways.

Belgium in 1986 had Scifo and Ceulemans? Not sure the US has anyone like those guys.

I feel like some teams just have amazing players at a certain point in time, and success is a logical progression. I don't see that with the USNT. The best players for the US are Tim Howard and Clint Dempsey. Bradley was almost at the level but he moved to Toronto to play in the Medicare League Soccer. If Bradley stayed in Italy he would be a better player.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
If you think about Croatia in 1998, that's an amazing feat. They had just gotten their independence, and while Clinton was ruminating over his awesome cash flow from the Yugoslav civil war, the level of talent that once existed to a single country was suddenly split 7 ways.

Belgium in 1986 had Scifo and Ceulemans? Not sure the US has anyone like those guys.

I feel like some teams just have amazing players at a certain point in time, and success is a logical progression. I don't see that with the USNT. The best players for the US are Tim Howard and Clint Dempsey. Bradley was almost at the level but he moved to Toronto to play in the Medicare League Soccer. If Bradley stayed in Italy he would be a better player.

I can see it sometime over the next 40-50 years. It can happen. But not this year.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
You take offense because you are hurt by the truth. That's fine. Blame the system that Americans are perpetuating. The best athletes are raised to play sports that the rest of the world doesn't give a shit about. Imagine now if Americans actually did have a great pool of football talent. So much money to be made, but the folks who own the NBA would never allow that, would they?

I take offense because it's such a indefensible statement. Must be fucking awful to be a fan one of the top 20 teams in the world at the moment, one of only 7 teams in the world to qualify consecutively since 1990.

NBA and MLS aren't even competing for the same players. Why would they? The youth system/college sports/draft situation is pretty fucked up, yeah. MLS academies are making progress, starting to produce players like Diego Fagundez (who clearly should have been a point guard amirite?) that would have definitely slipped through the cracks in the past.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I take offense because it's such a indefensible statement. Must be fucking awful to be a fan one of the top 20 teams in the world at the moment, one of only 7 teams in the world to qualify consecutively since 1990.

NBA and MLS aren't even competing for the same players. Why would they? The youth system/college sports/draft situation is pretty fucked up, yeah. MLS academies are making progress, starting to produce players like Diego Fagundez (who clearly should have been a point guard amirite?) that would have definitely slipped through the cracks in the past.

You're taking offense because you can't defend it even in your own mind. You know the US is far from the level of a top team. There is no shame in being mediocre until people deceive themselves into thinking they are better than mediocre. When a country is honest they are ready to make positive adjustments.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
When a country is honest they are ready to make positive adjustments.

It's been 48 years since we (England) won the World Cup. We've been honest with ourselves and know we are shit. At least the US have no expectations.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It's been 48 years since we (England) won the World Cup. We've been honest with ourselves and know we are shit. At least the US have no expectations.

English teams pamper English players into mediocrity. Can you imagine how Lukaku would be treated if he was born English?

Actually Toure is a better example. Yaya Toure was easily one of the best midfielders in the Prem last season, and somehow he's not tipped to stay at his current side? Wow.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
You're taking offense because you can't defend it even in your own mind. You know the US is far from the level of a top team.

Of course they're not. Are they better than probably 175 other countries in the world? Yes.

Last edited:

Mac91

10 Year Member
English teams pamper English players into mediocrity. Can you imagine how Lukaku would be treated if he was born English?

Actually Toure is a better example. Yaya Toure was easily one of the best midfielders in the Prem last season, and somehow he's not tipped to stay at his current side? Wow.

He's going to leave us because the club didn't celebrate his birthday well enough! :D

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
He's going to leave us because the club didn't celebrate his birthday well enough! :D

He's going to leave because he was the best midfielder in the prem and thinks he's 23 and can go anywhere. He's 32 and about to get a rude awakening.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Im getting ready to see 10-15 goals put on us. Should be a hoot :lolz:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Okay... beer is ready, Tak is ready, let the footie commence. Sitting on my couch, watched the opening ceremonies a while ago, now I'm looking forward to the first match Brazil - Croatia.

World Cup 2014, here we go!! :multi_co: :drool::loco:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Are you seriously not going to join the World Cup competition for pizza?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Are you seriously not going to join the World Cup competition for pizza?

I would if it would be about Schnitzel and beer, but pizza... well, I don't need a championship for that, the best Pizza gets made in Cicciano near Napoli at Mimi o pazz, Via Caserta 220. Simple as that. :)

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
preditctions?

heres mine

Croatia will open up the scoring, it will be 1-0 at half time.

Brasil will hit 2 back and will take the win 2-1

I tip Brasil to win the whole tournament, with some help from the refs/FIFA along the way

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think Brazil will thrash Croatia. Croatia is a good team but ...

Mac91

10 Year Member
My internet will fuck about during the game I bet it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Haha, silly me, now I got the Pizza comment, Chas... :emb: Uhm, sorry, must have missed the Bracket pred thread... I'm shit at that stuff anyway.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Brasil defense is a mess right now. Still think they will win 2-1 though