Ryo's SDM in '02?

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Can anybody here execute it on a consistent basis?

[qcf + C~A] while you're recovering from another action.

WTF is C~A ? Hard C , then quickly tap A?

Fuck this move.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Maybe you have to press A, B and C together, or C, B then A one after the other.

In Garou MOTW, I can't hardly ever do Tizoc's first power move where you have to spin the joystick twice and then press A or C while near the opponent. That's an awful move input, you jump whenever you push up or up left/up right. Even then, it's hard trying to spin the stick a full two rotations before you get hit and gotta wait to get back up again.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
That's an awful move input, you jump whenever you push up or up left/up right. Even then, it's hard trying to spin the stick a full two rotations before you get hit and gotta wait to get back up again.

In SF games, you usually only have to do 540 of the full 720, does that apply in Garou?

As for the super, I'm pretty sure you just press A immediately after C.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
In Garou, each character has two Super/Power moves that uses up the power meter on the bottom of the screen. Whether it's super or power just depends on whether you use A/C or B/D, or something else depending on the character. One of Tizoc's requires a full 720 spin then A for Super or C for Power. The issue I have is it's too damn hard to spin the stick that much that fast in the heat of battle, ugh.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I don't suppose it's necessary to really state this, but... input your 720˚ as you are descending from an uf/jump toward being in grapple range of your opponent.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
You have to "slide" from C to A in about a tenth or so of a second. If you're quick, you can do a fake normal or command move and chain it into the SDM.

720s while jumping are veeeery obvious, btw. :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Gotta start somewhere though, huh?

I also used to use jumps as a cover-up/starter for 720s but it almost never worked against skilled opponents. It's better not to practise inferior techniques too deeply because once it gets imprinted in your mind, it's very difficult to get it out again. I had to learn that the hard way.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
You have to "slide" from C to A in about a tenth or so of a second. If you're quick, you can do a fake normal or command move and chain it into the SDM.

Holy shit, I'm not fast enough for that.

I can pull off his HSDM pretty good, though.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster

Using an air 720 works as long as you use the right setup. What you're saying is the same as saying doing the raging demon input is pointless cause it's ridiculously obvious once you hear someone mashing it out.

My personal favorite is tying it in to jump kick attacks. Once you get the person not looking for it and just waiting to block a jump kick, you throw it out. I do totally agree with you that the more you throw it out the easier it is to see it coming. That's a big mistake most have with it.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Yeah I never thought of doing a 720 spin during a jump. Still, that's pretty hard, you'd have to spin the joystick really fast before you landed.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ It's not as hard as you would think. Most versions allow you to reset position/allow a neutral after the first 360. Some also allow cheating like going up/fwd to fwd (counter clockwise) then finishing the full 360. Once you get the motion down for a 360 it starts to feel pretty natural.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Using an air 720 works as long as you use the right setup. What you're saying is the same as saying doing the raging demon input is pointless cause it's ridiculously obvious once you hear someone mashing it out.

My personal favorite is tying it in to jump kick attacks. Once you get the person not looking for it and just waiting to block a jump kick, you throw it out. I do totally agree with you that the more you throw it out the easier it is to see it coming. That's a big mistake most have with it.

All of this...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

If inputting a 720 while jumping is the only way you use to start the move, your game might become a tad too obvious, that is what I wanted to say.

The magic word for not having to use jumps is buffering.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ I can see that. Like I said at the end. The more you use the air buffer, the easier it is to see it coming. It's best to have multiple ways to use a move totally agree.

Mee Kee Cx

n00b
Talking about Ryo's SDM in KOF 2k2. You say C~A Hard C, then quickly A. That is not the question. Actualy the speed is the same as K' MAX2 (qcb + C~A) and I'm sure you already get it.

The question aren't the buttons but THE JOYSTICK. The command is qcf + C~A but Ryo has another move which is performed by qcf + C (ko 'ou ken C version, short ranged projectile) so you need to enter the command while you're recovering from another action.

The command when you use it "standalone" is:

a _ perfectly hidden_ qcf while you're recovering from another action and then C~A (when you get the mobility). When I mean a perfectly hidden quarter circle forward I refer you must even release the joystick to neutral stance and so you can finally press C~A. For example: do the MAX activation, when you watch that pose, perform the qcf and don`t forget to release the joystick, then when that pose ends C~A .

You can even perform it after a jump/hop. Jump and near of the end of the jump/hop qcf and release the joystick and exact you land C~A. The SDM can be performed after a roll, backstep, during the last frames of an attack that _doesn't hit_ (let's say the final frames of Ryo's crounching C) and after you block an attack (yes, after you block an attack) as well.

Unfortunatly the hidden qcf must to be so perfect (the joystick should return at neutral and stay still). If you do the qcf, releasing the joystick and it gets shaking a little bit, the SDM won't launch at all. I usually shove the joystick with the palm of my hand (instead of using my fingers) in order to appropriate works.

Performing the SDM in a supercancel (after his dragon punch) is another story. In fact when you're in MAX mode you are not able to do the ko' ou ken in a "free cancel" (cancelling a special move by other one) so dragon punch cancelled by ko' ou ken is not allowed. For this reason release the joystick is not a requirement. The trouble comes when you do the move in a fast way. You possibly get buffering a Haou Shoukou Ken instead. To prevent this I suggest carefully perform the dp, release the joystick at neutral trying to don't get a shaking effect., let Ryo hit the first hit of his dp, let Ryo travels a little bit in the air (yes, a little bit in the air) and then qcf + C~A. I've only gotten this 2 times in my whole life. It's the hardest way to pull it off if you ask me.

Ryo has invincibility during the startup flash (except for throws) but during the forward dash you're FULLY INVINCIBLE and yes is _unblockable_. The move can be reversed and the autoguards can stop it, though.

I hope this can help you.

P. S. English is not my native language, so I spent a long time typing this LOL

Regards from Mexico.