Metal slug defense released on ios and android

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Now I feel bad for people who paid real money for that ammo.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
playing this, I can say that as far as touch screen games go, this is the right kind of game.

If you're too emotionally invested in the original style of games, then this won't work for you. Touch screens can't offer the same gameplay for fighting games, or even run n gun style games. Shooters on touch screen devices suck too. If you want to argue, that's your prerogative. But as I see it, touch screen devices lend themselves to a different style of game.

Metal Slug Defense is a simple game.

You don't need to spend a penny on it. You can spend money if you don't want to unlock things naturally. You can have that option.

The "ammo" replenished itself over time, much like credits replenish in the iOS Arkham game that came out last year. So if you run out of ammo, just do something else. Play a different game.

There is an RPG element in that you can upgrade your units or your base. You start out with a weak grunt, who can either toss grenades or knife enemies. You can also set down sandbags to shield you from enemies. After you clear some stages, you can use Marco. Clear the next level and you get Tarma. Then Fio, then Eri, etc.

Anyhow, I highly recommend the download.

Agree completely with this. We need more games designed from the ground up to be played on a touchscreen, and Metal Slug Defense plays really well. I played all through the tutorial and first stage and had a blast. No problem with ammo either. I had plenty to get my fill.

The game is basically free except for those who really want to get in and play it for hours, and if that's you, then why not kick some coin SNK's way. Everyone else will have plenty of ammo and things to do each day... This is probably the best effort I've seen from SNK in years. Really fun game.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Kinda bummed that this won't work on the phone we have since its only running Android 2.2 :(

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Kinda bummed that this won't work on the phone we have since its only running Android 2.2 :(

Went back and played missions two through four. Was just about to take a break when I ran out of AP. This game rules. You get about 30 minutes of play, depending on how you're playing it. I spent a lot of times playing missions over to get the POWs.

Really good game. Everyone shunning it for the in-app purchases... not sure why. This is a ton of fun, even without spending a dime.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Went back and played missions two through four. Was just about to take a break when I ran out of AP. This game rules. You get about 30 minutes of play, depending on how you're playing it. I spent a lot of times playing missions over to get the POWs.

Really good game. Everyone shunning it for the in-app purchases... not sure why. This is a ton of fun, even without spending a dime.

When I find games online that happen to be free, but I end up enjoying them, I buy an in-app-purchase, more as a thanks than because I need to.

On the other hand, games like Batman, which have in-app-purchases but don't need it, and are shit games, I don't chip in a dime for.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
When I find games online that happen to be free, but I end up enjoying them, I buy an in-app-purchase, more as a thanks than because I need to.

On the other hand, games like Batman, which have in-app-purchases but don't need it, and are shit games, I don't chip in a dime for.

I could definitely see myself doing that with this game. I'm happy to throw SNKP a bone for the app. It's good fun.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
On a side note, I may have cheated myself into a corner. The game refuses to replenish my ammo now. It was fun while it lasted.

The obvious point from this is that I can connect my iPad to my computer and using iexplorer I can access the files from the MSD app and hex edit to unlock everything.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Loving it so far. I am on level 7 now and haven't spend a dollar. I might spend a few bucks down the line seeing as it is "free" and I do want to help SNKP.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I set the clock wayyyyy forward and it restored my ammo.

then I set it back and the ammo is still there. I am hoping that the problem is fixed...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Fix request for Metal Slug Defense:

In online, just remove the customizations to units and bases. Equal footing for all things except troops. If someone wants to wait forever to release a mammoth slug, while you release a ton of gatling slugs, then so be it. But the idea of going head to head against someone who has already figured out the hex edit on the save file, well, that's shitty.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
This game is awesome. If they are going to continue to use the same sprites and music at least they are delivering it coupled with a fresh idea.

Last edited:

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Agreed. This game is really fun. I've never gotten that into defense games but I'm enjoying this one.

At first I thought reusing the sprites was cheesy, but now I'm glad they did.

Dampfwalze

Armored Scrum Object,
20 Year Member
Watched the trailer on YouTube.
smiley1070.gif

Backgrounds and music again recycled.
Please SNK Playmore close your doors once and for all!
It makes me sad watching you releasing such crap.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
It's kinda fun, loaded it up on a Kindle Fire. Very repetitive so far, but I'm only up to level 3.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Just beat it without spending a dime. Good game overall and I would have paid to get it. There were some fun, tough moments where it took some strategy to get past the waves of zombies and martians. It is nice to play a F2P that you can beat without paying anything.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
So far I'm enjoying it, and I don't mind waiting a few hours to have my AP replenish since I've always got something else to do. As long as I can unlock all the content on my own, and in a fair manner, then I'm a happy camper.

I'll probably shoot $10 SNK's way for this game, and I look forward to them coming up with some more creative and fun uses of their IPs. They really hit a home run with this one.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Up to level 7, getting kind of bored of it already. Is there an ending sequence or something worth playing it through the end? Because if the end sequence is anything like the intro, Im thinking no.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Up to level 7, getting kind of bored of it already. Is there an ending sequence or something worth playing it through the end? Because if the end sequence is anything like the intro, Im thinking no.
You get an ending and it's pretty forgettable. After the first levels are beat, you get a +game after that.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
unlocked a lot of troops in the store. I really want the jupiter king

Jupiter.gif

KaedesDisciple

Angel's Love ,
20 Year Member
Also very much enjoying the game, although NOT enjoying the game lying to me when it says I've won medals when I do get a fair win in wi-fi mode and the opponent doesn't ragequit, yet the medals never materialize.

If they fix it, maybe I'll throw them an IAP because the game is really fun otherwise, I'm working through the + levels now.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Upgrade your units. Try to get Tarma, Eri and Fio to max out. Then you can steamroll past most levels. Use medals to get the shield soldier and max him out too.