Post your keyboard controllers, synths, drum machines, etc!

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
It's been awhile since I acquired any instruments. I was going to be cheap and pick up an mpk mini, but instead decided to go with this thing:

Akai MAX25
akaimax25.jpg

I love how compact it is & certainly capable of doing quite a bit. Still tinkering around with it right now.

It helped a tad with this track I finished up this morning:

----------
----------

How about you lads? What equipment do you own?

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Most of my stuff is long gone, I had a few different configurations when I was still rockin' it down in Atlanta.

Teh original:
kdk_0648.jpg

At its peak:
61325_126080054110304_7912204_n.jpg

Novation X-Station 25, Korg KP3, Korg EMX-1 (killer), Shure SM57 (for vocoding), MBox 2 w/PT 8 LE, Macbook Pro, Logic Pro 9, Reason 4 & Record, Event ASP8 monitors (I'm sure my neighbors loved those, lulz). Not pictured: Juno 106, several guitars.

I eventually got tired of it all and sold most of it off to travel, which I did for a couple years. I'm getting back into music again, though just as a hobby this time around. All I have left is the Macbook, Mbox, X-station and an Akai APC40, I think the Juno is still floating around at my parents' house. Of the old stuff, all I really miss is the Electribe and the monitors.

I've also previously owned a Roland Fantom X6, Yamaha DX-7 II, Casio CZ-1000 and a Virus rack synth.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'll take some new pics and post my setup tomorrow. A lot has changed since I uploaded some in 2011.

Meanwhile, feel free to follow the links in my sig and listen to some of my current tracks.

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
i have this old shot of my studio from early 2013, (MPC1000, computer + other modular not shown since theyre behind me in the photo)..

75052_512398905468430_503926810_n.jpg

Arp Omni II, Juno 6, Juno 60, Roland RS-09, SH-101, some old Moog that I sold, Korg Poly Six, Synsonics Drums, Yamaha DX 7, Eurorack Modular, Crumar Bit ONE, Space Echo + a bunch of effects pedals... a bunch of changes since then, will snap a pic next time im there..

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Impressive setup, potetoboy. I'd really love to have a Space Echo and some modular bits and pieces one day. Must have been a real challenge to find all these great synths in good condition.

Here are some pics of my stuff:

Atari 1040 ST-E with 4MB RAM running C-Lab Notator 3.21, my main MIDI sequencer, and a Lenovo laptop for audio recording via Behringer UCA-202 interface:
studio01.jpg

Novation BassStation, Roland MC-202 (original analog version), Korg Volca Beats and Keys, Korg Monotribe, MFB Nanozwerg, various MIDI interfaces:
studio02.jpg

Kawai K1m, Roland TR-606 and 626, Mackie 1604 mixer, Yamaha YS100 (under the table):
studio03.jpg

Rack with Yamaha TX81Z, dbx 166a, Behringer Ultrafex II and SNR-2000, Quasimidi Technox (currently unused due to technical problems), DigiTech TSR-12, Akai S-20:
studio04.jpg

Ensoniq Mirage:
studio05.jpg

I also have a Yamaha FB-01 and YS200, they're getting fitted with a new memory buffer battery, as well as a full set of Korg Monotrons (original, delay, duo). I have a thing for little squeakboxes like that.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Gawd, I still have never had a chance to play with the MC-202, things are pimp.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
oh boy this thread is relative to my interests! very cool setups from everyone.
1534687_10152204266688044_1472704997_o.jpg
1399486_10152051778523044_2053793896_o.jpg
afraid my pics suck and are out dated.

my toys are

MPC-1000
behringer xenyx-802 mixer
M-audio M-track plus
yamaha FB-01 sound module (thanks for the recomendation takumaji:))
volca beats
volca bass
volca keys
M-audio axiom 61 midi keyboard

I am new to this gear whore lifestyle but I have enough toys to make some cool noises now and then.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
What's with all the 2 octave keyboards? I know nothing about that style of music, but that seems so limiting.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
What's with all the 2 octave keyboards? I know nothing about that style of music, but that seems so limiting.

Those of us that do not actually play piano but like synths tend to gravitate towards them.

Don't ask me why, it makes no sense to me either.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Those of us that do not actually play piano but like synths tend to gravitate towards them.

Don't ask me why, it makes no sense to me either.

Well if you have no intention of utilizing the full range of a traditional keyboard they are much less expensive, and much easier to transport and store.

For recording you can always change the octave after the first recording and dub over with the new range.

1459757_10101633133634130_1266098543_n.jpg

Just some Roland V drums. I connect them to my computer via a midi and record that way if I so choose. Once I have more money (and a career) I'll be making some hopefully big upgrades in terms of equipment.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Well if you have no intention of utilizing the full range of a traditional keyboard they are much less expensive, and much easier to transport and store.

For recording you can always change the octave after the first recording and dub over with the new range.

You always so smart, Eddie. I guess that's what happens if you live in a mirror dimension inside God's mind long enough.

PS: Nice LP collection. ;)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Small two-octave keyboards are sufficient for most electronic music needs. For many years I have used my Novation BassStation shown in the second pic as a master keyboard to control my setup. If you make techno-ish music like me, triggering drums, samples, sample loops and the occasional chords is all you need so two octaves are enough in most cases, and you could always switch octaves live or for recordings like OrochiEddie mentioned.

Nowadays I use my Yamaha YS100 (61 keys) as a master keyboard.

When I started making music, I had a full-sized 88 key Roland JV-1000 workstation, it was a great piece of kit but way too large and heavy for gigging so the BassStation came in handy to replace it for that purpose. Bought it in '94 and it arrived two weeks before a gig I had in Hamburg, had to take the plane to get there and it would have been a nightmare lugging that big-ass JV-1000 around.

complexz, nice to see you've bought a FB-01, it's one of the best synths bargains you can make these days. FM synthesis is a wonderful beast, it takes a while to become familiar with it but the tons of awesome sounds you can create with it are more than worth it. Bought my FB-01 for 40 Euro bucks, YS100 for 70 and YS200 for 75, that's only 185 Euros for a setup which blows most other systems out of the water, sound variety-wise. I hope that prices for used FM synths won't get affected by the current classic synth price hype, people these days are asking ridiculous prices for crappy gear only because it's old... fucking "retro" bullshit... and then there's the tiresome analog vs digital debate. Complete waste of time if you ask me.

Oh, and as you can see from the pics, I'm a proud (and long-time) owner of an Ensoniq Mirage DSK-8, it's the first model with Reed keybed and steel top. It was the first affordable sampling keyboard ever released in 1984 and I love its gritty and lovely strange sound a lot, you just can't beat the combination of 8bit samples and analog Curtis filters, makes my knob twiddler balls tickle. Yeah, it's not really intuitive to use to say the least... it has a two-digit LED display, data gets entered in HEX values from 00 to FF. There are dozens of parameters accessible via numbers like 36 (filter cutoff) or 50 (VCA ADSR), takes a while to get the hang of it but it's actually not that difficult as long as you keep a parameter reference sheet within reach, have a calculator with a HEX function and don't mind reading up on stuff like Nyquist frequencies or input filter anomalies on certain sample time/rate combinations and how to avoid them...

...or to put it in the style of Zed from MiB: "The Mirage keeps us on HEX and standard 2x64k memory. Give it a few months. You'll get used to it... or you'll have a psychotic episode." :D

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I was planning on upgrading my DJ setup and getting that Pioneer DDJ-SX. I like how well it integrates with your PC and still has the option of hooking up external turntables/cdj's.

Controller-side, I'm was looking at that MPC Renaissance and debating between that and the Native Instruments Maschine. What are your guys' thoughts?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Controller-side, I'm was looking at that MPC Renaissance and debating between that and the Native Instruments Maschine. What are your guys' thoughts?

The main difference between MPC and Maschine is that you can use a MPC standalone while you would always need a computer/laptop with Maschine. That's not to say there isn't a proper computer integration of the MPC, you can use various software and DAWs to control it (or vice versa), add samples, etc., but once that's done, you can disconnect it from your laptop and do a gig with it straight away without having to use a computer on stage. IMO that's a big plus, I've had some unpleasant experiences with computers fails during gigs while MPCs (or my little S-20 desktop sampler for that matter) are rock-solid and will never quit on you no matter how deep you tweak them.

However, Maschine is a great tool for production use, probably more so than an MPC, so... ... ah, decisions, decisions, eh... :)

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I'm no expert but going by what I know about the ren vs the machine, I think the mpc ren is awesome looking and if I ever did move over to PC, the ren would be for me as it would give me that MPC workflow I am used to. The machine seems to have the better reputation with software so it might be the better choice if you don't have a background with the MPC.

The ren does have the built in interface so if you don't have a interface yet that might work into your decision, machine is cheaper but it's a controller only.

EDIT:

The main difference between MPC and Maschine is that you can use a MPC standalone while you would always need a computer/laptop with Maschine. That's not to say there isn't a proper computer integration of the MPC, you can use various software and DAWs to control it (or vice versa), add samples, etc., but once that's done, you can disconnect it from your laptop and do a gig with it straight away without having to use a computer on stage. IMO that's a big plus, I've had some unpleasant experiences with computers fails during gigs while MPCs (or my little S-20 desktop sampler for that matter) are rock-solid and will never quit on you no matter how deep you tweak them.

However, Maschine is a great tool for production use, probably more so than an MPC, so... ... ah, decisions, decisions, eh... :)

unfortunately the MPC renaissance isn't standalone, just a controller/interface :(

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Maybe not the Renaissance but the others are, but yeah, you're right.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
You always so smart, Eddie. I guess that's what happens if you live in a mirror dimension inside God's mind long enough.

PS: Nice LP collection. ;)

That's my little music corner in the apartment's living room. My roomate's shoes dominate the other corner. I've snapchatted it to the NG.com folks a few times because it overflows all the damn time.

I have an eventual goal of integrating keys, or maybe an MPC or two into my drumming to be able to create some complex beats on my own. Deantoni Parks is one of my main influences in drumming, but I'm light years behind

fluxcore

Another Striker
I'm a total poser in that I don't have anything set up currently, and making music is one of the hardest things for me to do (I enjoy music so much, and my personality is such that I can't stand producing crap, so it's just so difficult to CREATE, even though I know producing lots of work, crap or not, is the way to get better). I suppose what I should really do is find a collaborator, so I just HAVE to try to make stuff, and also then have another noggin to bounce ideas off etc.

Anyway. I have a Juno JU-6, and a Novation Nocturn 49 keyboard. The Juno has the usual 'standing on the seashore' noisy chorus, I even tried changing the BBDs, to no avail). Still just a classic bit of hardware though. I like the action on the Nocturn, was going to get an MPK but those keys are not to my taste.

IMO software plugins really are the sensible way to go (with some knob boxes or what have you), but there's something so much nicer about having the actual kit. I was really keen to get a 606 or similar in order to drive the trigger on the Juno, probably should still do that, but the ipad DM1 app will about do me for a drum machine. Prices are really getting silly for some of the old Roland gear!

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
View attachment 13537
Here is a panorama of my work in process studio in the back of my pops warehouse.
I got an Akai MPK25 and a Technics SL 1200 turntable, I need to purchase an amp for the turntable to take samples through my PC, I also have a sega genesis in the pic lol.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
I have an eventual goal of integrating keys, or maybe an MPC or two into my drumming to be able to create some complex beats on my own. Deantoni Parks is one of my main influences in drumming, but I'm light years behind

I'll have to look up Deantoni Parks, but your eventual goal just reminded me of KJ Sawka. Someone showed me this Youtube clip YEARS ago, and I was just blown away. Has a whole lot of newer stuff up too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp5OxEzxuSg

When did you live in Atlanta? And how did I not know that???:scratch:

Lol, I lived there from 2009-2011, specifically Duluth (Korea town!) a little ways OTP on I-85. I actually lived real close to Discover Mills at Breckinridge/Pleasant Hill. You probably didn't know because I was AWOL from NG.com from about 2008-2012. I was so busy with work and school that I never even had much of a chance to truly enjoy the city. If I had a little more money, and a career or something, I would move back in a heart beat. It's dirt cheap compared to Colorado, and WAY more fun than Denver.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I'm a total poser in that I don't have anything set up currently, and making music is one of the hardest things for me to do (I enjoy music so much, and my personality is such that I can't stand producing crap, so it's just so difficult to CREATE, even though I know producing lots of work, crap or not, is the way to get better). I suppose what I should really do is find a collaborator, so I just HAVE to try to make stuff, and also then have another noggin to bounce ideas off etc.

Anyway. I have a Juno JU-6, and a Novation Nocturn 49 keyboard. The Juno has the usual 'standing on the seashore' noisy chorus, I even tried changing the BBDs, to no avail). Still just a classic bit of hardware though. I like the action on the Nocturn, was going to get an MPK but those keys are not to my taste.

IMO software plugins really are the sensible way to go (with some knob boxes or what have you), but there's something so much nicer about having the actual kit. I was really keen to get a 606 or similar in order to drive the trigger on the Juno, probably should still do that, but the ipad DM1 app will about do me for a drum machine. Prices are really getting silly for some of the old Roland gear!

The prices on classic roland gear are ridiculous for sure, but korgs cheap analog synths are comparable and as far as musical instruments go, are dirt cheap! I got myself the volca bass as I wanted some analogue synth basslines and just a real synth to play around with.... a few months later and I have all 3 :) They are wayyy too fun and sound way too good to not have them all. If you are looking for some 808 style drums the volca beats sounds awesome and is only 150 bucks, Akai is making a cheap drum synth aswell called the rhythm wolf for only 200 bucks, I haven't heard one yet but it definitely looks awesome.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I have another q... :0

How does that microkorg hold up as far as vocoder capabilities go?

Since I can't find an ems vocoder 2000 :(

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
After talking with complexz over on soundcloud, I ended up grabbing an MPC 1000. I'm more of a DJ than producer, but I have a lot of fun sampling and learning to sequence some basic beats and such.

I'd love to have a studio similar to some of the ones you guys have but I just can't justify it (or fit it in my residence) at this point. Still, a stack of records / turntables / mixers keeps me busy, and the MPC is definitely a nice addition.

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
the microkorg vocoder is decent and has a fair amount of tweakability. if you run it through some effects i'd say it's pretty effective, esp for electro stuff.
the microkorg was one of the first synths i ever bought and its one of the best values for the price (its also survived all my synth clean-outs so thats gotta count for something).

Any one try the Arturia Micro Brute or Mini Brute? Those look like pretty feature packed (although no vocoder) for the price as well..