Post your keyboard controllers, synths, drum machines, etc!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
It should be quite easy to learn and all settings can be stored as far as I know. There's also a firmware patch for it that turns it into a cool analog-style step sequencer with realtime editing:

https://zaqaudio.com/

Good stuff.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Cool - thanks. It's cheap enough to give it a shot. I think this will be my next purchase.

fake

15 Year Member
Just got a 20% off coupon for Guitar Center. Totally getting this.

Tak, I'd need two MIDI cables, right? One in and one out?

fake

15 Year Member

Tanks.

Anybody mess with this yet?

https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-1

Thinking of grabbing one, but am still waiting on further reviews

That's been out for several years, so I don't think you'll see any further reviews. I've spent about an hour with it. In terms of sound and capabilities, it's not worth the price difference between the OP-1 and the MicroKorg XL. They're very similar. However, in terms of usability and real-time tweaking, the OP-1 wins. And it's just a ton of fun to use and interact with. It's more of a luxury item than a synth. Basically an Apple synth. If you've got the money to spare, go for it, but if you're on a budget, I'd definitely recommend the MicroKorg XL or even the Alesis Micron.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Tanks.

That's been out for several years, so I don't think you'll see any further reviews. I've spent about an hour with it. In terms of sound and capabilities, it's not worth the price difference between the OP-1 and the MicroKorg XL. They're very similar. However, in terms of usability and real-time tweaking, the OP-1 wins. And it's just a ton of fun to use and interact with. It's more of a luxury item than a synth. Basically an Apple synth. If you've got the money to spare, go for it, but if you're on a budget, I'd definitely recommend the MicroKorg XL or even the Alesis Micron.
Thanks! I'll look into those tonight!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The big plus of the OP-1 is its flexibility for creating stuff on the spot. The sound creating options and the continuous updates this machine gets make it a well-supported little synth that may not be everyone's pint of beer but it's really fun to use and sounds great. There's a very active scene of OP-1 users, just check out YT for a few vids.

My only gripe is the price. Even though it's probably worth it, it's a bit too steep for my liking.

fakeX, yes, you need a pair of MIDI cables to connect the machine to some synth. One goes into the MIDI OUT of the controller, then make a THRU chain to all your devices and finally return into the MIDI IN, then set all machines to a different MIDI channel and you will be able to control them from the Behringer, that's it. If your synths or other machines don't have a THRU port/option, you can use a THRU box to connect it all together.

fake

15 Year Member
Thanks, Tak. My synth only has a MIDI IN and MIDI OUT, no THRU. However, I use two instrument cables to go from the synth to my firewire interface - in other words, my MIDI signal never touches the computer. Could I just hook up the synth out to the BCR in and the BCR out to the MK in?

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Sigh. Ordered the BCR2000 on 9/30. Not going to get it until late November. At least I got a ridiculous deal on it.

I tried the Yamaha Reface synths. I like the DX, but a used real DX7 costs about the same, so why would you buy it? I want to try the Roland semi-modulars, particularly the J-8. I have the Arturia emulation of the Jupiter-8, but if this is really close, I'd consider picking it up.

fake

15 Year Member
Gaiz,

Moog Sub Phatty or Korg MS-20? I'm looking at these two in particular because I want something 100% analog with knobs for real time manipulation of dual VCOs, LFO, envelopes, and VCA. What I'm really wondering is how flexible the Sub Phatty is. I've read in reviews that it's definitely not limited to bass sounds, but is it really as flexible as the MS-20? The Moog sounds amazing from what I've heard, and the panel layout is exactly what I'm looking for, but I need something that can cover a range of analog sounds.

If I do get the Moog, I'm probably just going to hook it up to my MIDI controller rather than use that ridiculously short range keyboard. I don't have a problem with the MS-20's mini-keys, though.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Here's my newest toy. I haven't explored it yet because I'm super busy but next week I intend to lock myself away with it.
20429601_10159235839100422_1469927549058361520_n.jpg

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I got a Korg Monologue for Christmas! Time for some low down dirty basslines!

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
Did anyone else get spoiled for the holidays? I almost pounced on a really cheap TE OP-1 but didn't want to spend the cash so close to Christmas. There are just a few pieces of gear I'm really after but I enjoying seeing other nice shit! :-J

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Had an Electribe ESX-1, Minilogue, MPC Touch and Korg M3. Only thing I have left is the Touch. It's pretty versatile.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Got this Logitech K120 USB black keyboard a while back, totally forgot to post it up here for you guys.

1.jpg

fake

15 Year Member
Did anyone else get spoiled for the holidays? I almost pounced on a really cheap TE OP-1 but didn't want to spend the cash so close to Christmas. There are just a few pieces of gear I'm really after but I enjoying seeing other nice shit! :-J

I had an 18% off anything Guitar Center coupon. (Usually almost all brands are excluded from GC coupons, making them basically useless.) I was very close to buying a Music Man Stingray guitar, but chickened out. So as a consolation I was going to get the Roland TR-08. But I chickened out again. I do plan on getting the TR-08 at some point though.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Necrobummmmmp

Grabbed a Korg Minilogue. Went to buy a monologue in store but they had them both, and after playing them both I had to shell out for the minilogue for 2 reasons: polyphony, and the keyboard of the mono starts on E not C and that was just cramping my style on the already small keys.

So far I'm loving the Minilogue, although I am new to analog synths. It seems simple yet powerful, a good starting point for someone like myself with music exp starting out in synth land.

fake

15 Year Member
Yeah man I have a hard time justifying a mono synth.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
I just got a sub37 a few weeks ago. Brand new made to order from the factory. 449176B0-1696-4774-B1BD-A3EB424F3005.jpeg

I also modded a mpc 1k recently with fat pads new switches and blue leds. I also have purchased a pair of jbl305’s on prime days for a good discount and just grabbed a 12 channel mixerBBB7372D-BB38-4D78-BDE3-224F64EEC57F.jpeg

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Nice. I really want an old school MPC.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I loved my MPC 1000. Had it maxed out with internal hdd too. Sold it to a friend of mine who used it more than I did. I use Renoise now for sequencing and sample chopping.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
I have a 128gb CF card in mine Jjos. I use it in conjunction with ableton lite