Piforce Tools Support Thread

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Have you set netboot jumper, and IP address/netmask in settings?

yes ip address is 192.168.1.2 and submask is canonical 255.255.255.0

about netboot jumper they should be correctly set for netbooting as the naomi display "checking network"

i also can't get rid of error 31 when i leave test setting menu and the naomi itself reboots after a while giving said error if nothing is done with it

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
found out error 31 is ok when you do nothing with the naomi while it cheks for network

tried many combination and definitely the net dimm is the problem

my naomi mobo + working netdimm (4.01) - success
my raspberry + working naomi and netdimm (4.01) - success
working naomi mobo + my netdimm - same s*it

since i used to netboot properly via router in the past i simply don't know what culd be the problem right now since is also possible to net boot with my current firmware which is 3.03 (as shown in an youtube video)

trush the dimm in the bin?

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
found out error 31 is ok when you do nothing with the naomi while it cheks for network

tried many combination and definitely the net dimm is the problem

my naomi mobo + working netdimm (4.01) - success
my raspberry + working naomi and netdimm (4.01) - success
working naomi mobo + my netdimm - same s*it

since i used to netboot properly via router in the past i simply don't know what culd be the problem right now since is also possible to net boot with my current firmware which is 3.03 (as shown in an youtube video)

trush the dimm in the bin?

Doesn't the Piforce need the firmware to be 4.01/4.02 to work?
If you have a dimm with 3.03, it would have to be upgraded. (Since you're in Europe, if you asked on ArcadeOtaku, someone could probably help getting that board upgraded.)

DJ Long Cat

Armored Scrum Object
I can't get it to work for me. It only displays Error 25 (which says its missing the GD-Rom Drive)

I want to upgrade from a Compact Flash to this.

I'm running a Naomi 2 with USA Bios (I think I dunno if I got multi region or not) and version 4.02 on the Net Dimm. I installed the PIC I got in the kit with no success.

Also, I wanna add games to the Kit I got, whats the User/PW on the linux install?...

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Yepyep

I got it working lol. Any idea how I would go about adding the Atomiswave games?

If have a Windows PC, then just take the SD card and put it in your computer. It should just open up the partition for the SD card then, or browse to the drive manually.

To add files, do this:

Step 0: Put the roms in the rom folder on the card with the others.

Step 1: Download the free program "Notepad++"

Step 2: On the SD Card, go to the folder "piforcetools" and open up the file "piforcetools.py" in Notepad++.
[Note: Before you edit this file, save a back-up.]

Step 3: Add the games you want in this title/file format:
"Fist of the\nNorth Star": "FOTNS_Naomi2_Fixed.bin",

Step 4: Save the file and it should work then.

Last edited:

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Doesn't the Piforce need the firmware to be 4.01/4.02 to work?
If you have a dimm with 3.03, it would have to be upgraded. (Since you're in Europe, if you asked on ArcadeOtaku, someone could probably help getting that board upgraded.)

i should probably check the board over there getting help... thanks to point me that out

about the firmware the answer is - don't know if things change with raspberry
with 3.03 you can netboot (as i did in the past)
this guy upgrade the netdimm being on 3.03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg3Jv_GeDYE

Is there a link to a step by step tutorial?

I bought the Naomi 2 bios with my kit. Stupid question but if my current naomi 2 set up has an existing CF adapter can I just slap it on? I tried it and no games load, it just says error loading. I assume the naomi 2 Bios and the PIC travisty sent me have to be installed in order for this to all work, correct?

Also, how do I remove the naomi bios chip off the mobo? It is really stuck in there no homo. Thanks.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
you connect a network cable, the power for the pi you need to set the dimm to network mode. 3 jumpers inside the dimm to network. carfully very carefuly pop the bios chip off. insert the bios chip correctly with the notch. you will need to insert the pichip into the security slot correctly

you connect a network cable, the power for the pi you need to set the dimm to network mode. 3 jumpers inside the dimm to network. carfully very carefuly pop the bios chip off. insert the bios chip correctly with the notch. you will need to insert the pichip into the security slot correctly

Thanks again for the help.

So currently on my working CF naomi 2 set up, that already had a PIC and BIOS installed, I changed the dip switches and assigned an IP address. Some games load consistently, like MvC2. Others do not seem to load, and if they do it takes 3 reboots to finally transfer the game (akatsuki blitzkampf). The stupid thing is my test rig is having display problems, so the image is all washed out and I can't see if there are any error codes being displayed. At least it sort of works. Will install the PIC and BIOS that Travisty sent me later. I just wanted to see if the components I had already worked "as is".

klassic

n00b
hello. sorry to bump an old post, but need someone's help here. I have a Pi Loader running via a crossover cable to a chihiro. everything worked fine, but my display on the Pi went out. replaced it, but during my troubleshooting, I wiped my network settings. can anyone here tell me what they should be set to? followed a few guides, but I cannot ping the netdimm from the raspberry Pi.

thank!network setting(CORE).jpgnetwork setting(MEDIA).jpgnetwork setting(MEDIA)2.jpg

sparksterz

Camel Slug
hello. sorry to bump an old post, but need someone's help here. I have a Pi Loader running via a crossover cable to a chihiro. everything worked fine, but my display on the Pi went out. replaced it, but during my troubleshooting, I wiped my network settings. can anyone here tell me what they should be set to? followed a few guides, but I cannot ping the netdimm from the raspberry Pi.

thank!View attachment 28615View attachment 28616View attachment 28617

I had a problem once too with my display going out. Turns out one of my files got corrupt. I'd re-image the SD card. Will more than likely solve the issue.

klassic

n00b
got a new CF card. put piforce tools on it, 3 game roms, same issues..."netdimm is unreachable"

can someone post a picture of their network settings, for both CORE and MEDIA? thanks. :)

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
Nice, I was wondering if they were going to come out something like CHiP. Theoretically, it should work but might require some changes to the network config files, depending on how a USB Ethernet adapter driver shows up. I believe if it shows up as eth0, it should be fine. Really though, the LCD plate is designed with roughly the same dimensions as the base board, and it relies on a base, so a solution with this board may be technically smaller, but not as evenly weighted as the Pi + Plate.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Nice, I was wondering if they were going to come out something like CHiP. Theoretically, it should work but might require some changes to the network config files, depending on how a USB Ethernet adapter driver shows up. I believe if it shows up as eth0, it should be fine. Really though, the LCD plate is designed with roughly the same dimensions as the base board, and it relies on a base, so a solution with this board may be technically smaller, but not as evenly weighted as the Pi + Plate.

Right but you could also just use a fixed image and skip the LCD altogether, would be a super cheap way to netboot.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Right but you could also just use a fixed image and skip the LCD altogether, would be a super cheap way to netboot.

You know, I'd actually love to have a fixed image version of the Piforce that I could set to load just one set game.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I had some problems with the image file, but figured out a workaround.

If anyone has a problem with Piforce-Single, the steps I took were:
-write the 4GB image to an SD Card. (I used SelfImage.)
-download the zip of dev-tty0's files.
-open the zip, go into the "Piforce-Single-master" folder, and copy those 3 files and 2 folders to your SD card.
-put a game into the "roms" folder on the SD Card.
-go into "sbin/piforce" and open up "singleforce.py" in Notepad++. Add the rom file name to the 7th line.
EXAMPLE: rom_dir = '/boot/rom/Outrun_2_Special_Tours_512.bin'

It should work then.

loscanones

n00b
If somebody`s interested to get the solution about "Naomi console cannot not reset after Atomiswave game loaded" can PM me.
Solution is Software+Hardware and it will force console to reset every single time a game is loaded so no more "sending" freezing issues.
I test it in two ways, reset through tacho wire of the video chipset fan (Derek2k idea), and through the reset chip on the mainboard.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
If somebody`s interested to get the solution about "Naomi console cannot not reset after Atomiswave game loaded" can PM me.
Solution is Software+Hardware and it will force console to reset every single time a game is loaded so no more "sending" freezing issues.
I test it in two ways, reset through tacho wire of the video chipset fan (Derek2k idea), and through the reset chip on the mainboard.

I'm sure that the people that converted all the Atomiswave games to run on the Naomi would like to hear about this. Can you post the info over on their Arcade-Projects Forum?
http://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?board/5-atomiswave-2-naomi-conversion/

Ninjando

n00b
So i finally got a Netdimm in order to try this, but all I'm getting is a black screen. Apparently the Naomi isn't getting enough power from the Sun PSU, so I have to increase the voltage? How would I go about doing that?

My netdimm firmware is 4.02.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
So i finally got a Netdimm in order to try this, but all I'm getting is a black screen. Apparently the Naomi isn't getting enough power from the Sun PSU, so I have to increase the voltage? How would I go about doing that?

My netdimm firmware is 4.02.

Look for a hole that has a knob in there that you can turn with a screwdriver. That's how you adjust the 5v power level. Just make sure you check what the amount of power it's outputting before and after you do this with a multimeter.

Last edited:

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Just to echo aoiddr - Use a multimeter to check voltages. Then adjust. Then check again. Don't fry your shit by turning knobs willy nilly.