Piforce Tools Support Thread

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
Yeah, it should output to HDMI, its built on top of ArchLinux, with some small modifications to make the file system read only, but nothing that would disable video out. I would try to make a clean image of Raspbian on a different SD, and see if that outputs video at all, just to make sure its not the SD card causing an issue.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Yeah, it should output to HDMI, its built on top of ArchLinux, with some small modifications to make the file system read only, but nothing that would disable video out. I would try to make a clean image of Raspbian on a different SD, and see if that outputs video at all, just to make sure its not the SD card causing an issue.

Alright, I'll give that a shot before I punt this. Good time for it to happen I suppose, it would seem the model B's are being phased out for the B+ now which seems to have a different Jtag connector.

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
Good call, I think I can do that. It was one of those things I told myself to revisit later, and totally forgot.

leonk

Marked Wolf
B+ compatibility is coming soon, BTW :) Any features requests folks?

?!? Oh. You mean is a downloadable image. :)

I've been running on B+ for probably over a year now or so. Very easy to use build in package manager to upgrade to B+ compatible kernel / latest distro.

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
Yup, just updating the image with B+ drivers. I've had a lot of requests for it, but life has just been insane, so I didnt have the chance to actually update the image itself. Also going to add more filenames for Atomiswave conversions, and potentially other minor updates.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I can't recall... did Melty Blood Actress Again get patched to work on a 256mb net dimm or does that game only work on a 512mb version?

Sp33dFr34k

n00b
Okay, I'm at a loss here, but I think the solution should be rather simple.

Done everything as per tutorial, but can't seem to establish a connection.

It's not my net dimm/Naomi, as I can transfer games from my PC perfectly fine, it's also not the PIC (tried 2 of them, work fine with PC).

Tried to connect via a router, also no connection. Noticed that the lights of the ethernet port don't light up. Though using Raspbian, the ethernet port works perfectly fine.

What's going on here, any ideas?

I'm using the B+ btw, is that the issue?

EDIT: and indeed, it's not compatible with B+ yet. For those interested, somebody created a compatible script for it, can be found here.

Last edited:

d7onr8

n00b
Try re-imaging the sd card. Maybe it got corrupt somehow. For me, I know when adding in new games titles, it wouldn't boot at all if I used incorrect syntax.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Figured out what was up I believe. net-config somehow got corrupt with a ton of garbage data. Re-imaged it and it seems to be working fine. Is v1.2 beta the recommended version for a Model B?

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Nice work dude. I'm sure this will come in handy for a lot of folks.

Might not be a bad idea to have the game list as a separate hosted file for easy updating on existing setups.

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
Yeah, im going to update to actual files in github tonight. No need to reimage after you get to 1.3, you can just replaced the updated python scripts in the piforcetools directory.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Thanks for the hard work. I'll reimage my original B Pi over the weekend.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I've got a feature request :)

It would be awesome to be able to set a default image if no selection is made in 'x' seconds. Or no input is detected on the up/down/select buttons in that time.

Another option would be to have it default to the 'last selected image' if no selection/input is detected in a given time.

Certainly not a necessity, but would be cool to see!

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I've got a feature request :)

It would be awesome to be able to set a default image if no selection is made in 'x' seconds. Or no input is detected on the up/down/select buttons in that time.

Another option would be to have it default to the 'last selected image' if no selection/input is detected in a given time.

Certainly not a necessity, but would be cool to see!

Oh, this would be an awesome feature to have and I know that I'd use it!

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
Update! Version 1.4 is now available. This version supports B, B+, and the new B Model 2's. If you have a B+, no need to upgrade because boot times are actually a bit slower. I went back to raspbian, because the same image can support all raspberry pi models, but since it uses init.d instead of systemd, it boots a bit slower. I figured that would be easier than managing multiple images. You can download the latest image at http://downloads.capane.us/piforcetools.img.zip

Update! Version 1.4 is now available. This version supports B, B+, and the new B Model 2's. If you have a B+, no need to upgrade because boot times are actually a bit slower. I went back to raspbian, because the same image can support all raspberry pi models, but since it uses init.d instead of systemd, it boots a bit slower. I figured that would be easier than managing multiple images. You can download the latest image at http://downloads.capane.us/piforcetools.img.zip

What are you using to zip this file? On my mac I can't seem to unzip it.

Double clicking creates the infinite loop archiving issue:
piforcetools.img.zip -> piforcetools.img.zip.cpgz -> piforcetools.img.zip ...

http://osxdaily.com/2013/02/13/open-zip-cpgz-file/

Similarly from the terminal:
% unzip piforcetools.img.zip
Archive: piforcetools.img.zip
warning [piforcetools.img.zip]: 76 extra bytes at beginning or within zipfile
(attempting to process anyway)
error [piforcetools.img.zip]: reported length of central directory is
-76 bytes too long (Atari STZip zipfile? J.H.Holm ZIPSPLIT 1.1
zipfile?). Compensating...
skipping: piforcetools.img need PK compat. v4.5 (can do v2.1)

note: didn't find end-of-central-dir signature at end of central dir.
(please check that you have transferred or created the zipfile in the
appropriate BINARY mode and that you have compiled UnZip properly)

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
I used WinRar. It either compressed it wrong, or uploaded wrong. I'll fix it tonight, thanks man!

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
i'm keep getting "connection failed" error with my raspb+ and piforcetool 1.04
fact is the very same rasp+img works on other netdim setup but mine

could be cause i'm on 3.03 dimm firmaware?

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member

If I remember it was 3.03 or higher regarding Netbooting in general.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
If I remember it was 3.03 or higher regarding Netbooting in general.

In order to upgrade the firmware via a computer you'll need 3.17 or higher though. Otherwise you'll have to flash the chip or find an upgrade disc IIRC.

I remember when I was creating my setup I some connection problems when I tried 4.01 and I had to upgrade all the way to 4.02 which I thought wasn't necessary, but YMMV.

TravistyOJ

Another Striker

Have you set netboot jumper, and IP address/netmask in settings?