Piforce Tools Support Thread

FreedomGundam

New Challenger
Mine was on 3.17 and after I had issues I updated to 4.01 with Naomi_boot. That didn't help though, only thing that did was using the plastic official netboot key that came with my netdimm. No idea why it doesn't like the zero keys.
Good stuff, as long as you found a workaround that gets the setup working for you. :)

I'm gonna try updating all the way to 4.02; I figure there can't be any harm in that at this point. Then I'll see how it goes when I get my PIC back.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I got that error at one point. I believe I fixed it by changing my Naomi's IP address to 192.168.1.2 so it would sync with the Piforce Tools. (It's also worth a try to take the Net Dimm off and plug it back in to make sure it's seated correctly.) But yes, you need to be at 4.02.

Last edited:

FreedomGundam

New Challenger
So I updated my NetDIMM to 4.02
I also got my zero-key PIC back so I plugged that back in.

I'm STILL getting the "ERROR 33: Gateway cannot be found" error.
So the same thing happens like before:
- Piforce tools reboots the Naomi and sends game
- Naomi reboots, checks the game
- The game boots, but restarts after about 30 seconds with the error

As before, Ikaruga and Tetris Kiwamemichi load just fine.

Though I keep wondering: the Piforcetools instructions include the tidbit that says
The netdimm will need to be configured in static mode with an IP address of 192.168.1.2, netmask of 255.255.255.0, and gateway of 192.168.1.1.
Where do you set the Gateway on the NetDIMM? There doesn't seem to be an option for it; only IP and Subnet. When I go to "Network test" in the menus, Gateway is returned as "N/A". Does that change anything?

I'm beginning to wonder if my NetDIMM is retarded to begin with (ie, it can't reach the PIC regardless).
I'd like to avoid it, but maybe I should just get myself another NetDIMM (dammit, just missed the recent group-buy here), and retire this one to PC-netbooting-only or convert it to use CF cards on my second Naomi board...

Last edited:

kotmfu

n00b
People with error 33:

I know how to fix this for you, but chances are you may not be able to fix this on your own.

A null pic can be set up two ways, one for net booting, one for non net booting. You can probably see where im going with this.

Error 33 is when you dont have a netbooting nullpic. very easy to fix, if you have the source code and a pic programmer, not so much if you dont.

If anyone is in australia and needs this done i can do it for you, but probably a bit cost prohibitive to do so out side of aus.

SOURCE: i build these units and sell them myself, so i have gone through this shit before.

Enjoy!

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
To those that have ordered PICs from me, are you experiencing the 33 issue? I personally tested my null pic on several games, and didn't experience this issue, but I need to know if the PIC I am distributing has an issue.

FreedomGundam

New Challenger
A null pic can be set up two ways, one for net booting, one for non net booting.
Yeah, I think I figured that a few days ago.
A miscommunication between me and my PIC supplier got me a GD PIC. Which worked flawlessly on his CF setup, of course, but obviously wouldn't work on my RPi setup.

So I sent it back to him, and I'm waiting to get my PIC back sometime. Can't wait!

leonk

Marked Wolf
In case anyone runs into Naomi PIC problems in the future with zero key, we solved the problem and wanted to share the solution. There are actually 2 zero pics out there. One for NetBoot and one for CF. Most people have the CF version and it works for them because the python script handles the security for them. If you want to exit the script and have the game continue to work from your net opted naomi, you need a different PIC. The changes in the PIC source is:

Code:
AIJYOANSWER
ADDWF PCL,F ; !!Program-Counter-Modification
DT 0x3A,0x70,0x1F,0x71,0x1F,0x00,0x00,0x00
; DT 0x3A,0x70,0x1F,0x71,0x1F,0x00,0x00,0x01

d7onr8

n00b
Ok so how do I replace the roms? I'm using Minitool Partition Wizard and can explore and see them but how do I write to the SD card? When I click the SD card in Windows it doesn't recognize it. I thought the roms partition was Fat? Do I actually need to install Linux?

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
You should be able to just insert your SD card and copy them to the "roms" directory. The first partition is the biggest, and is FAT32 and contains some files used for booting, the python scripts, and the roms folder. The second, much smaller partition is ext4 and contains the linux filesystem used by the kernel. You shouldn't need to use the partition tool at all, unless you are rebuilding the SD card format. So Windows didn't mount it? Try looking in the Administrator Tools for Computer Management, and see if you can map it to a drive letter there.

d7onr8

n00b
Thanks for clarifying. I used a newer computer and Windows recognized the SD card just fine.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Seems I have the wrong PIC then as I netboot fine via script on the laptop. My Piforcetools loads AW fine, but Im sure it bypasses. Sucks cause I can't burn a PIC on my current setup.

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
Hi guys I'm dumb as shit with the raspberry pi, my question is If I clone the sd card of the piforce tools for the pi can I use it with another raspberry pi set? or do I need to program the sd card from zero to work with it.

Vladi

n00b
dolphin blue and rumble fish not appearing on game list . all the rest of the game loaded apear on the list .

d7onr8

n00b
What's the correct tool to use to edit the game names on the .py file? Is it just wordpad? Everytime I try to add Rumble fish to the py file using wordpad, my LCD won't load/boot.

stormS

Crazed MVS Addict
sega-naomi.com forums appear to still be offline. That being said, wiring details for dc controllers can also be found here - http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/188522/the-sega-naomi-thread/p3

Finally got my Net Dimm to update and have been playing around loading a few games. Works great from what I've seen so far. ^_^

Not really loader questions, but more Naomi game ones in general...

- Is there a way to actually make a game Typing of the Dead or Lupin III The Typing playable? Like, can you wire a dreamcast keyboard to the CN6 port?

- What about Monkey Ball, any way to get that to work without a banana joystick?

(Fyi, I've got a Capcom I/O in a Sega Astro City.)

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
What's the correct tool to use to edit the game names on the .py file? Is it just wordpad? Everytime I try to add Rumble fish to the py file using wordpad, my LCD won't load/boot.

You can use notepad no problems. I found that I had the exact same problem when I added the NetDimm upgrade rom to the list... turns out I misplaced a semicolon (i think it was a semicolon, doesn't matter it was some form of punctuation). Double and triple check your syntax and try it again. You can also hook an HDMI screen to the Pi to get more details on whats happening as it boots. It may point you in the right direction for the error that needs to be fixed. Good luck!

d7onr8

n00b
Thanks for the reply. Wordpad, Notepad, and Notepad++ didn't work for me. I had to edit it in Python's IDLE in order to get it to work.

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
I think it must be differences between Windows and Linux carriage returns. I'll do some research to see what i can do to make it work with windows style carriage returns.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I think it must be differences between Windows and Linux carriage returns. I'll do some research to see what i can do to make it work with windows style carriage returns.

It wouldn't be that hard to test that theory in Notepad++. Opening the file, going to Edit -> EOL Conversion you can set it to Windows, Mac, or Unix format. Doing that and then making alterations/saving the file should update the line returns.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member

Hmm, I had no issues with this using N++ on Win7 64. I'll double check Rumble Fish in a few hrs after work.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Hmm, I had no issues with this using N++ on Win7 64. I'll double check Rumble Fish in a few hrs after work.

I have no issues with any of the current release AW games. When I built my LCD and setup my SD card, I followed TravistyOJ's guide on a Win7 64 machine. Edited the .py file with N++ using the correct syntax in the game list. This is just my experience.

leonk

Marked Wolf
FYI: the current ext4 software seems to be out of date. A new raspberry pi recently came out (model B) and is the only one now available. The software no longer works correctly on this hardware. It seems the default settings don't configure the Ethernet port correctly / bring it up.

Looks like I'll need to use a new distro and port the piforcetools 1.2 to it.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Mild necro bump, and stupid question. My Raspberry Pi I think shit the bed. Can't seem to get it to output anything via HDMI and the LCD doesn't seem to boot/power up. I assume the distro outputs via HDMI in it's original set up and it's likely the Raspberry Pi that's shot. Does that sound right?