Mario Golf 3DS has Day One DLC.......

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
:blow_top:

After reading this, I can officially say I'm done with current gaming trends. I know that some people have no problem with DLC. But I have MASSIVE issues with paying for content that was made during a regular development cycle. Nintendo, you have forever lost a customer.

The notable recent example is DLC for Mario Golf: World Tour, which attracted some critical comments upon its reveal due to the very obvious detail that the first pack arrives on day one and includes two full 18-hole courses. It's day-one DLC that often frustrates gamers, as it's clear that this isn't extra content developed after launch, but rather pre-prepared and ready along with the core game. It raises the inevitable question of why it's not simply part of the retail package.
Nintendo's clearly aware of this, as the press release was decidedly cautious and defensive in tone. Before it detailed the three DLC packs and the three-pack set — bizarrely called a "season pass" in North America — the statement pre-justified itself by highlighting the 10 courses included in the core game. The message was simple, that the company was adding extra options to a full package, even being at pains to highlight that the main game's content is equivalent to series predecessors. The company is aware of the sensitivities of day one DLC, and tried to tackle the pre-conception held by some that it's unjustified.
The question gamers should ask themselves, and one we'll address in our review, is whether the core content of the game is — as Nintendo suggests — the expected level that's expected of a retail game; one at a reasonable price on 3DS, too. The DLC appears to contain reasonable value for money, meanwhile, with each individual pack adding two full courses and a playable character; European gamers will also have a chance to grab the three-set pack at a lower rate, an option unfortunately not included in North America. Yet it's a sticking point for some, and by definition the optional nature of the World Tour packs will mean a good number will resolutely stick to the main game.
It's the latest of a fairly busy 2014 of paid download content from Nintendo, on 3DS at least, when you consider those free-to-play options. One arguably pointless option not covered yet, showing that Nintendo is still figuring this side of its business out, are the matches that can be bought in Nintendo Pocket Football Club — they're somewhat hidden away and irrelevant. It's perhaps an example of unnecessary DLC, the type that can draw criticism; the saving grace is that the title doesn't actively plug it to the player.
As Nintendo looks to maximise profits from games, we're likely to see more extra content seeking our credit card numbers. Nintendo is gradually ramping up its activity with DLC and dabbling with new pricing models, so it's likely to be just a matter of time until a higher percentage of games are brought in. The question is whether Iwata-san will be good on his word that core experiences will remain untouched; will we have a 3D Mario with DLC in years to come?
This is a situation that'll continue to evolve. What do you think of Nintendo's paid DLC and free-to-play efforts so far?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Nintendo has had some...fumbles to say the least, but the exclusion of DLC, especially day-one DLC, was one of my main points for supporting them. I felt that their traditional stance on creating a complete gaming experience that anyone and everyone can enjoy equally was great, and meant that I was getting a complete, polished title when buying their products. They weren't like Capcom and others with on-disc DLC or "pay for the true ending" DLC, and I was OK with that. Call me old and stubborn, but I prefer a complete game to one which depends on paid DLC to create a complete game.

However, their worsening financial situation meant it was a matter of time before they would get into it. The continuity of this practice is going to depend on how many people pay for the actual courses as well, and if it is successful it will continue to plague other games and franchises.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
DAY ONE DLC = FREE MONEEEEEY!!!!!!!!!!!

3Vy6emV.jpg

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I never was cool with the modern way of updating and DLC tbh... but I've accepted it :-/

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
When Capcom did it, people accepted that and paid. That's why other companies are now starting to follow suit.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
When Capcom did it, people accepted that and paid. That's why other companies are now starting to follow suit.

Paid is the key word! Nintendo is looking at profitable trends, and repeating them.
DLC is the magic new way "total package" game prices can exceed traditional price structors.

I actually think Nintendo is getting desperate with Wii-U performing so poorly.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Sometimes I feel like the only one out there that is contemptuous enough of current practices in gaming to have totally sworn off any purchases. Nearly everyone I have spoken with IRL has some level of apologist attitude concerning the process. Acceptance, grudging or otherwise, is still acceptance. People complain and bitch about this happening, but then mechanically go out and purchase the very thing that they just so recently reviled.

I find this mind boggling.

The fact that this will continue to happen as long as sheep continue to mindlessly throw money at it seems to be an obvious correlation to make. But...

Sigh.

Anyways, good on you Panda for recognizing it and speaking in the only way these guys will ever hear us. Perhaps if a couple of 'major' companies (the aforementioned Capcom and Nintendo come to mind first) were to finally get taken down, then the rest will wise the hell up.

Do I consider this to be likely? No, because there will always be the apologists making excuses (justification in their minds) as to why/how this is somehow a 'good' thing.

Grats for taking the right pill KP :)
Welcome to the waking world heh.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
That is a bloody joke. Fuck Nintendo. To be fair, it kind of serves people right who are playing Mario Golf. Just repeat that out loud: Mario. Golf. Sheesh, what next? Sonic playing Tennis...?

Day 1 DLC is something I have never heard of before, this is even more fucked up than Paradox Interactive releasing simple things for Crusader Kings 2 like renaming characters and customising your appearance as DLC. Things that should have been in the fucking game.