Any R/C fans here?

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Wondering if any of you guys enjoy radio controlled cars, trucks, planes, tanks, boats or whatever?

I'm about to get me another 1/10 Tamiya Clod buster. I had one when I was 13 and enjoyed the shit out of it. Been rounding up a ton of parts for the build.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Yeah love a bit of r/c action. As a kid I had quite a few battery cars, pretty cheap nasty ones, but I used to go along and watch a local club race the nitro cars on an indoor circuit. I wanted one for years and years after that - then nearly ten years ago I had enough spare cash to pick one up for myself. I made a couple of errors though, firstly I bought a pre-built one, looking back half the fun is in the building of them so I should have bought one that needed some work. Second mistake was going for the most powerful one I could get my hands on and smashing it to tiny pieces within about 20 minutes of firing it up.

I rebuilt it though, and smashed it again, about five times before I gave up on them. I got a bit worried that if I smashed it into another person I could actually do some serious harm.

Having said that I've been looking at r/c helicopters recently - not the shitty little ones you fly round your living room, the proper petrol ones. Badass.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
For a second there, I thought we were going to talking about the greatness of Royal Crown.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
I mess around with cars/trucks/planes had a ton still have a few. actually i used to race alot and there was no better place for r/c racing than so-cal.
Have not done much recently besides mod my cars , have a losi lst2 , traxxas revo with .21 ,hpi super nitro with .21 also have bunch of electric's.
I have been looking for a a tamiya king cab for some time. always wanted one growing up.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Yeah building them is really fun the Tamiya kits are like a huge model. :)

Do you remember what car you had and the scale?

Check out this video of the Clod Buster on youtube. This will make you want one lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tssf-JXP8fQ&list=PLA6C4DF10CA9D25E2

Yeah love a bit of r/c action. As a kid I had quite a few battery cars, pretty cheap nasty ones, but I used to go along and watch a local club race the nitro cars on an indoor circuit. I wanted one for years and years after that - then nearly ten years ago I had enough spare cash to pick one up for myself. I made a couple of errors though, firstly I bought a pre-built one, looking back half the fun is in the building of them so I should have bought one that needed some work. Second mistake was going for the most powerful one I could get my hands on and smashing it to tiny pieces within about 20 minutes of firing it up.

I rebuilt it though, and smashed it again, about five times before I gave up on them. I got a bit worried that if I smashed it into another person I could actually do some serious harm.

Having said that I've been looking at r/c helicopters recently - not the shitty little ones you fly round your living room, the proper petrol ones. Badass.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
It's been a while since I've built an R/C. I was thinking about fixing up the HPI kit I built up several years ago with newer parts (the ESC was some cheapie one that just kept cutting out) as well as a new body for it. I've been wanting to make it a drift R/C.

I've been also contemplating building up a gas powered one for the hell of it.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I mess around with cars/trucks/planes had a ton still have a few. actually i used to race alot and there was no better place for r/c racing than so-cal.
Have not done much recently besides mod my cars , have a losi lst2 , traxxas revo with .21 ,hpi super nitro with .21 also have bunch of electric's.
I have been looking for a a tamiya king cab for some time. always wanted one growing up.

Yeah that was a great truck I remember it very well. Hopefully Tamiya will keep up on their kick and re-release it. I was so pumped when they re issued the Clod Buster my favorite r/c monster truck.

Man here's one I wanted as a kid, if you can remember this kit kudos to you. "MRP High Roller" 1/10 monster truck. I use to drool over this truck in the sears wish book at X-mas. It had 4 wheel drive 4 wheel steering and crab steering! No other truck at the time had the crab steering. But it was the weakest of the monster trucks at the time. It only had 1 motor to drive both axles and the gears were absolute shit in it. The were so notorious for stripping out that the truck became obsolete within no time. Really sad because if they would have designed it better it could have been amazing.

I still got my Tyco Bandit. I never graduated to hobby grade.

Hey no shame in owning a Tyco. I had several of the dune buggy 9.v6 ones and they were at the time freaking amazing, They had a locked rear axle and were practically indestructible.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I own a couple Tamiya models.

Last summer I built a LunchBox, but haven't got around to painting the shell. Probably do that this summer.

Also have a Super Hotshot that I need to build. Probably do this summer as well. Spektrum radio gear for both.

Bought my brother a Clod Buster this past summer for his birthday. We were both big into RC when we were in middle school and high school (late 80's/early 90's). The expression on his face when he unwrapped it was priceless.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Oh man the Lunch Box is awesome I think it and the Midnight Pumpkin used the same chassis. Those were amazing wheely riders for sure. I can imagine the look on his face when your brother opened that box lol. That damn Clod Buster is HUGE! I remember when I first got it running and set up some old toy cars and crushed the for the first time. I was kinda timid with it at first but, when I pulled up to the cars and stopped against them and then just hammered the throttle and it jumped all 3 of them in one leap lol! Man the old Clod is just a badass machine. Can't wait I'll post up some progress pic's of the build while its in progress.

Todd are you going to customize the dodge van body at all? I'm gonna do some major work to the 87' Chevy Silverado body once I get going on it. Tilt front end disconnected bed clear windows. Man good stuff got me wanting to work on it now!

I own a couple Tamiya models.

Last summer I built a LunchBox, but haven't got around to painting the shell. Probably do that this summer.

Also have a Super Hotshot that I need to build. Probably do this summer as well. Spektrum radio gear for both.

Bought my brother a Clod Buster this past summer for his birthday. We were both big into RC when we were in middle school and high school (late 80's/early 90's). The expression on his face when he unwrapped it was priceless.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Todd are you going to customize the dodge van body at all? I'm gonna do some major work to the 87' Chevy Silverado body once I get going on it. Tilt front end disconnected bed clear windows. Man good stuff got me wanting to work on it now!

I dunno. I was thinking painting it box stock. Would be the first time. :lolz:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Awwww shit.

I have a 1/8 Ofna buggy that i've converted to Electric. I dont miss Nitro at all. I can race just as long, and I spend none of the time with maintenance and tweaking.

I also like the Tamiya for scale. I just trashed my rally car. The diffs were stripped bare, and the suspension was toast. It was too much plastic for my driving style.

I built an SGX formula car for modeling and casual racing. It's completely built, but I haven't done any paint or decals. I couldn't decide which formula car to model it after.

Lastly...I have my Tricopter for FPV. I just built it this year, and I'm still making it super stable. 9 Channel remote for camera control etc.
Once the Tricopter is dialed in, I plan to build a flying Wing for long range FPV. I feel FPV is going to be huge in a year or two when the Chinese make the economies more reasonable. Similar to what they did for pocket Heli's and quads.
Right now it's a rich kid's market.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Friends have some R/C Cars that run on gas, pretty cool things, fast as hell. I've been thinking of getting one. As a kid I built a Tamiya 1/350 Tirpitz and motorized it.

*ninja edit*

check this shit out:

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Damn, I love ww2 airplanes that was a sweet video. I have always wanted to build a rc one but, I don't know shit about them. Man there isn't much of a training to them either you land right or its totally destroyed. I was always amazed how the receiver could pick you that high up and far away on the planes. I always wanted to build a P-38 Lockheed lightning or a B-17.

Friends have some R/C Cars that run on gas, pretty cool things, fast as hell. I've been thinking of getting one. As a kid I built a Tamiya 1/350 Tirpitz and motorized it.

*ninja edit*

check this shit out:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Damn, I love ww2 airplanes that was a sweet video. I have always wanted to build a rc one but, I don't know shit about them. Man there isn't much of a training to them either you land right or its totally destroyed. I was always amazed how the receiver could pick you that high up and far away on the planes. I always wanted to build a P-38 Lockheed lightning or a B-17.

That video was great. I went to a massive battle of britain r/c recreation a couple of summers ago, they had the planes dropping little explosives on targets, flying in formation, then a full battle scene at the end where they (I'm assuming on purpose) sacrificed a couple of planes for effect. It was fantastic. The sounds from them made your hair stand up on the back of your neck.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member

You can fly miles away on long range receivers now. Slap on UHF, and you are way out there.

TBH, if you want to get into flying, start with a simulator. Flying these things is not like playing a videogame at all. Good pilots make them look like actual planes while flying, but RC planes are about 20x more maneuverable.
Also, go electric. Gas and Nitro require a ton of experience.
Lastly, there are tons of Ready-to-fly foam warplanes with good detail. You can circle around a park, and they are easy to repair.

Hans Grösse

Banned
I had the Tyco stuff, Like the Bandit, The Hammer, Fast Traxx. I now that they weren't hobby grade but they were fun for me as a little kid

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
No RC stuff - cool but expensive. Seems like a badass hobby.

I am, however, getting a slight interest in wheeled robots using single board computers and/or microcontrollers like Raspberry Pi and Arduino. I want to build a tank using a tamiya chasis and body powered by a RPi over wifi (with camera so I can control it remotely.)

My girlfriend's renter does R/C airplanes. That shit is awesome.

I want a quadcopter drone but I have yet to plant a money tree.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
This douchebag that lives on my block is a huge R/C enthusiast. He's always driving his R/C cars up and down the block in front of all the neighborhood kids, and his planes and helicopters at the close by park. He'll play with his shit for hours and hours and he never lets any of the kids try it out (not even his own teenage son).

Also, I too was hoping this thread was about RC Cola
000g2sez

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
You can actually hurt people with the speed of my RC cars. I have done it. I probably wouldn't let kids use them either. One wrong turn, and these things explode. I've done that too.

Mine are getting old, so I did let me nephews drive both my cars this summer. They are 10 and 12. They actually handled them pretty well. The only issue was they didn't bring the throttle on smoothly. It was either full out or stop. Normally that would destroy the diffs pretty quickly. the 1/8 buggy is all metal shaft 4wd, so it can take the beating. They ESC also has electric breaking so they dont throw it in full reverse at max speed.

The formula car is probably the hardest to control, but they didn't destroy it either. The ESC did shut down when the motor started smoking though.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I've found this to be an interesting hobby. I've considered getting into it in the past....but never pulled the trigger.

I wanted a badass gas powered R/C anything when I was a kid. It looks like you can get one for around $500....that pretty cheap for what they are and the performance.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I've found this to be an interesting hobby. I've considered getting into it in the past....but never pulled the trigger.

I wanted a badass gas powered R/C anything when I was a kid. It looks like you can get one for around $500....that pretty cheap for what they are and the performance.

Gas was cool, but don't do it. Electrics are better in every way now. Batteries are cheap run as fast and as long as nitro. I would waste hours messing with nitro settings. Now I plug it in and go.
China has made everything more affordable. You can get a nice big truggy , ready to run, with electrics for cheap. Looks like the hobby level ones if you just want to bash around the park.
Losi, RC, Ofna, Kyosho are still around. You just pay a premium.

edit: For example, redcatracing.com The guy lives in china and just makes RC stuff cheap for everyone.

Last edited: