Love/Suck

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Probably not what you initially thought this thread will be about. What are some games that you love, but suck at? Ghouls n Ghost is one of mine, love the game, but just flat out suck at it, let alone doing the second run.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
RTS games for me. Warcraft 3 comes to mind. Really enjoy playing the game, but i've always been really bad at it.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
1943 & 1943 Kai. I think they both look and play (and sound!) excellent, but I'm shockingly bad at them. Probably a combination of the weapons/health management vs some twat enemy running into you head on/from behind.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Pretty much every fighting game. Don't get me wrong, I can do the standard combos and even some advanced ones but if I'm going against someone that is more than a casual fan, I will get trounced. I never bother to learn the systems advanced features outside of stronger combos just because I play games for fun. To me, having to spend the time learning all the intricacies is like work. And I do enough of that, thanks.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Fighting games, but only the training challenge modes. So much about fighting games for me is reacting to the computer or the other player that I don't rely on a lot of the stuff required to take it to the next level anymore. My skills have fallen and I don't care to help them get back up. Now I play for fun and for the aesthetic value (artwork, character design, music, goofy storyline, etc.)

Stealth games are another genre I am generally not very good at even though I love many games in the stealth genre. I can finish them but I am not really someone that has patience for trial and error. I lose myself in a zen state when I play action games like Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden. Crawling around on my stomach for ten minutes to avoid three people when I can just kill them and hide for a minute or two afterwards is more my thing, but I know I'm not playing the game 'the right way.' I was an ace at the Tenchu games, though.

Monster farming games, and RPGs with heavy trial and error alchemy elements also tend to lose me. I love grindy JRPGs, but I have no patience for alchemy elements-I just read the formulas online.

Last edited:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Pretty much every fighting game. Don't get me wrong, I can do the standard combos and even some advanced ones but if I'm going against someone that is more than a casual fan, I will get trounced. I never bother to learn the systems advanced features outside of stronger combos just because I play games for fun. To me, having to spend the time learning all the intricacies is like work. And I do enough of that, thanks.

Wow, this is exactly what i could write about me.

BUT, i love shmups the most and i'm also very lousy :lolz:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
King of Fighters

I've never played against many people, so all I can do is fight the AI.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!

Same here. Hell, the conversation is the same, just change combos to patterns and its the same issue really. I'm not dedicating hours to learning that the giant bog monster farts 3 flower patterns here so I need to be in an exact set of pixels for 2.3 seconds.

But damned if I don't play them and enjoy every bit of it.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Glad I'm not the only one in this camp!

Quote Originally Posted by Phyeir View Post

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Mine is shooters. Love to play them, cant master them! I pay too much attention to all the bullets/missile on screen instead of paying attention to my ship!

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
+1 for fighters... I love the shit of of them, but I can't honestly say I've mastered a single one.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I love shmups but I'm pretty horrible at them.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I really like Darksouls but suck hard at it.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Beatemups. I'm always close to last place in the Monthly BUMPs over in the Arcade subforum here, but I love playing them anyway.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
SHMUPS and fighters. I love their complexity and challenge, but have never dedicated enough time to actually learn them. I enjoy watching skilled players go through them a lot though.

Every fighting game.

Fighting games, but only the training challenge modes. So much about fighting games for me is reacting to the computer or the other player that I don't rely on a lot of the stuff required to take it to the next level anymore. My skills have fallen and I don't care to help them get back up. Now I play for fun and for the aesthetic value (artwork, character design, music, goofy storyline, etc.)

All three of you must be mind-readers, because I feel (almost) the exact same way. I like having to work my way through to unlock hidden artwork and characters (something that seems to be slowly disappearing in the DLC era), but being able to fight someone in person (as opposed to online) makes any fighter all the more fun (especially at conventions like Magfest and Otakon). Also, I can rarely pull off any moves that require six buttons and/or half-circle forward/backward motions. I'd like to think I can hold my own against some amateur competitors, but I'm training fodder against the pros.

I also have a tough time with FPS shooters. Granted, it's been over a dozen years since I played Halo (and roughly four since I took on Bioshock, my last FPS... but not for long...), but I still can't get down the motions for circular strafe.

I can hold my own on puzzlers, but can't past the ultra-tough computer in Money Puzzle Exchanger and/or later rounds of Magical Drop III; less so against the experts (I even had one human challenger beat me seven or eight times in a row back in late 2005).

As for shooters... don't even get me started on shooters (when it comes to those games, I'm a bullet magnet).

Simply put, my gaming skills have rusted over time, but I still play what I like (even if I'm only one-sixth as good with Kitana in MKII now as I was back in the mid-90's).

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Dude, that's crazy! Ghosts N' Goblins was mine, it drove me nuts, every iteration of that game can drive you nuts. That's the sleeper mind-fuck challenge in gaming - it will just wear you out. Your mind tells you fuck this, don't continue, don't give that bastard another credit.

I suck asshole at shmups.

Fighters, I wanna say I'm good, but I'm sure I'm not shit, I've never played any fighter in true competition. The only game I can say that I stopped playing undefeated was DOA3 when Xbox first came out, but I don't even tell people about it, because let's be honest, it shouldn't be mentioned in the ranks of real fighting games. The only reason I got so good at that was because there wasn't shit for games when the Xbox launched, it was fun, looked really good, levels getting tore up, tits bouncing.

FPS/3PS/Shooters are the only thing I can pick up and play pretty quickly - could be the years of Quake and Unreal, but I do alright kb/m or controller. Still not pro, but I can swing dick in noob rooms.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Shoot'em ups i guess i still enjoy genre,but i don't put enough time into them.

I could say the same for fighters to i get real good at one,then i let it go and become terrible at it.