Comprehensive Steam Research: 36.9% Of All Steam Games Sold Are Unplayed

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Exactly. This then begs the question of how accurate the originally stated figures are.

If you read the article, they substantiate that the numbers are probably very accurate and they give detailed explanations of the research done and the time taken to do it.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I remember reading one of the articles and it is skewed due to the fact they only started logging information of hours played etc since 2009. also games played in offline mode aren't logged. so it's not uncommon for some games to be misrepresented or counted as 0 hours played. this could also be misrepresented by logging onto the menu and alt tabbing for a few hours. it still counts as hours played. dota 2 is heavily popular and many hours from their logs are from the match view and not from playing itself. so just a few things to take note.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Games owned 99
Games not played 48 (48%)
Hours spent 656.8h
Account worth $1198.05

BTW that site is completely worthless, as I scanned down the list and there were tons of games I've played extensively that it said I didn't have any hours in and counted as "not played". Oh well.

I have movies on VHS I haven't even opened yet.

Me too. I won Liar Liar in a raffle or something and never opened it/watched it.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Speaking of Steam and amazing sales:

Both Lego Marvel Superheroes and Lego Lord of the Rings, generally considered the two best Lego video games, are $5 on Steam right now. There is some DLC for the Marvel game that's about 7 bucks total.

I bought it all. Too good to pass up.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I have 38 games on my Steam account and I at least played most of them... then again, it was usually only a hand full of times. There's only like 2 - 3 games that I used to play regularly. These days I just sign on to see what's on sale & then sign off again.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
If you read the article, they substantiate that the numbers are probably very accurate and they give detailed explanations of the research done and the time taken to do it.

Cool. I did.

I remember reading one of the articles and it is skewed due to the fact they only started logging information of hours played etc since 2009. also games played in offline mode aren't logged. so it's not uncommon for some games to be misrepresented or counted as 0 hours played. this could also be misrepresented by logging onto the menu and alt tabbing for a few hours. it still counts as hours played. dota 2 is heavily popular and many hours from their logs are from the match view and not from playing itself. so just a few things to take note.

Exactly. The evidence provided by members on here in this thread alone is already starting to invalidate their numbers. I'm not going to believe the veracity of their 'accuracy' just because they say it is so. Especially when it is becoming rapidly clear that it isn't.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm not going to believe the veracity of their 'accuracy' just because they say it is so. Especially when it is becoming rapidly clear that it isn't.

:lolz:

EDIT:

Also,

The follow up article by the same people, which addresses the potential reporting issues. A lot of he doubt about the accuracy is addressed in it.

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I can belive it..I've bought hundreds of games via humble bundles and only played a handful of them.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think this is all part of Taiso's plan to get us to gift him games we dont play.
well done. lol

Medaka350

n00b
Yup.
I've bought many games that I played for about 5mins, or even never.
I still have PS3, 360, Wii games that are sealed, not because I collect sealed games, but because I never bothered to play them.
I even bought Neo-Geo games and never once played them.
I have games for systems I don't even own.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Maybe it is sort of universal justice.

I knew that people illegally download and play a lot of games and dont pay for them.
Now people also pay for games and don´t play them.

So it balances out.