Parking Tickets

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Little bit of a rant here.

I live in LA. Back in 2007 I was bad at avoiding street sweeping tickets. Those things were $25 dollars a pop at the time and would double and triple if you didn't pay on time (which I didn't). That sucks but whatever.

Fast forward to 2014. I get a ticket the other day, open the envelope.....Why in the FUCK are street sweeping tickets now $73 fucking dollars. When did this happen? How the hell do you justify that!?!

What the hell is going on in this city? ugh

How much are street sweeping tickets where you're from?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Still $25 if you get to them right away.
But other tickets are starting to get more expensive now.

I used to have the same problem with street sweeper tickets. I ended up getting a spot at a parking garage until I had my own place.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I've never had a ticket of any kind, so I dunno. Luckily I have a driveway, otherwise I could totally see myself missing street sweeping day.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
$25 tickets were pre GFC. Your municipal council likely invested YOUR funds poorly and post GFC 2008 they are now broke, they have few lending options due to their less than stellar current credit rating so they must raise funds by taking them from you at a higher rate.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Is 73 bucks the price for the season tickets? XD

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Jeez glad I don't live in LA lol. But I hate parking tickets I got one in LA for not having a front plate it was ridiculous. But if I remember right up here too street sweeper tickets are like $60-$70.(luckily the area I live in doesn't issue those lol)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Fast forward to 2014. I get a ticket the other day, open the envelope.....Why in the FUCK are street sweeping tickets now $73 fucking dollars. When did this happen?

Oh, it happened. I got one that price maybe two years back. The worst part is that I really did it to myself. I woke up super-early in a panic about the street cleaning for some reason, remembering it was street cleaning day. In my half-awake state, I stumbled out to my car and moved it from the RIGHT side of the street to the WRONG SIDE. Then stumbled back inside and immediately fell back asleep. Smash cut to 5 hours later, when I wake up again, realize what I'd done and run out to the car to find my new $70+ dollar parking ticket. What the fuck was I thinking?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I've never heard of street sweeping tickets before. It seems odd as now people are mentioning them they make perfect sense - the roads need to be swept so the cars need to get out of the way, if they don't they get fined.

The roads must need cleaning here in some way too, so how do we do this without people being told it's going to happen? Maybe we don't sweep streets in the UK, though I've never noticed the roads are particularly dirty.

I'm baffled.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
In San Francisco it's just awful. It's not so much the meter maids that are bad, but the jackasses who park in spots longer than their allotted time/run out of money on the meter. What a lot of these people do is they put the ticket that they got onto another persons car.....hoping that they will pay it without looking at the ticket. Asses.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I've never heard of street sweeping tickets before. It seems odd as now people are mentioning them they make perfect sense - the roads need to be swept so the cars need to get out of the way, if they don't they get fined.

The roads must need cleaning here in some way too, so how do we do this without people being told it's going to happen? Maybe we don't sweep streets in the UK, though I've never noticed the roads are particularly dirty.

I'm baffled.

Councilman geezers...

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
genius idea

In San Francisco it's just awful. It's not so much the meter maids that are bad, but the jackasses who park in spots longer than their allotted time/run out of money on the meter. What a lot of these people do is they put the ticket that they got onto another persons car.....hoping that they will pay it without looking at the ticket. Asses.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I got stung with two $72 parking fines today. Fucking hate working in the city, you know the parts of the city where parking is tight and there aren't any multi level lots anywhere? yeah whole day job and what I have to move my car and hunt for a park every 2 hours? fuck off. Such fucking bullshit.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
When I lived in Milwaukee it was pretty ridiculous.

Get this: If you don't have a yearly sticker on your car, you MUST call a number and tell them where you're parking for the night (address, cross street, plate number). So.... if we had people come visit for a week, we had to do this every night. Missing one lets them give you a ticket for parking - it doesn't matter if there is signage or not... it doesn't matter if you're legally parked on a tiny side street... if you didn't call in for the night, expect a ticket.

Do any other cities have this in place?

Last edited:

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
Got pulled over last week while looking on my phone which rang, I couldn't answer it because it's illegal to speak on the phone without a car kit while driving and I used a friends car .
They still fined me because it's illegal to even have the phone in your hand while driving .

230,- EUR fine or 320,- in USD .

Fuck that :(

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Cell phone tickets I'm fine with, because the amount of times I've sat at a green light because someone is too busy reading how Susie sucked such a juicy cock last night is far too numerous.

Sucks that this is what we have to do with all these tickets, but most of these large metros have too little usable space for parking compared to the demand. If they didn't do this, you'd have people just parking long term all the time because walking an extra half block from long term parking is hard!

And I'm well aware of the coffer filling perspective of these things, but I'll save my ire for more made up BS like red light cameras rigged to read speeds wrong or with illegally short yellow light timing.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Street sweeping tickets are HORSE SHIT, in downtown Columbus they go on a towing spree when they clean the street. I didn't realize Cbus fucks people in the ass that hard on a street sweep when I moved in, next morning (3rd Thursday of the month) my truck is gone..$200 + a cab to the south side of town to spring my hoo-ride. Columbus also stuck me like $75 for my bumper being no more than 6" over the sidewalk at the end of my driveway.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Oh dear, I thought you were in Toledo, now you're closer to Cincy! I hope Broken knows.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member

That would require the off-chance someone pays by check. Online payments are attached to your license plate, which you have to type in to locate any payments owed.

Last year I had to fight over a $600 tow/ticket. It required me to get surveillance footage from an office building, which captured the parking enforcement officer place a "no parking" sign in front of my car, take a picture as evidence, and then tow my car. Other evidence and legal arguments in my protest letter aside, the hearing officer said she still would have found against me had I not had the video because "it made them look bad". In order to get my money back, I had to sign an agreement not to sue them. That's their game. That's the short of the story. There were some heroes.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
im a bit worried im in san diego and got a street cleaning ticket ~5 months ago, it was for $55. when i got a reminder in the mail it was $75 total never paid it. I did just register my truck and there were no tickets or fines on there. id figure it would be on there and just pay it then. However i wonder if it just keeps climbing till i pay it.
Its my fault as im just to lazy to do anything and am procrastinator.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
im a bit worried im in san diego and got a street cleaning ticket ~5 months ago, it was for $55. when i got a reminder in the mail it was $75 total never paid it. I did just register my truck and there were no tickets or fines on there. id figure it would be on there and just pay it then. However i wonder if it just keeps climbing till i pay it.
Its my fault as im just to lazy to do anything and am procrastinator.

Yeah, the one good thing with the govt having antiquated systems, takes a long time for the records to come together between departments over their NetZero connection.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Downtown NOLA hands out parking tickets like candy. Half the time you wont even know you got one until you receive a bill weeks later in the mail. On top of that you can have money in the meter and if it breaks you still get a ticket. Whenever i go downtown I always just use a car park. It ends up being cheaper and safer for your car.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
That would require the off-chance someone pays by check. Online payments are attached to your license plate, which you have to type in to locate any payments owed.

Last year I had to fight over a $600 tow/ticket. It required me to get surveillance footage from an office building, which captured the parking enforcement officer place a "no parking" sign in front of my car, take a picture as evidence, and then tow my car. Other evidence and legal arguments in my protest letter aside, the hearing officer said she still would have found against me had I not had the video because "it made them look bad". In order to get my money back, I had to sign an agreement not to sue them. That's their game. That's the short of the story. There were some heroes.

That's crazy as hell man. I know shoulda woulda coulda and all that but I think I would have sued the shit out of them on principal.