Retron x86

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I think that was the point re: the photo.

PPL brought along a load of games they wanted to try out to test the Retron against any (known) compatibility issues.

But that game doesn't work with a Power Base Converter.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Not that I don't love a good conspiracy theory, but maybe it doesn't work with a powerbase converter AND a Sega Genesis. Maybe they found a way around the problem in emulation.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

Well, it most certainly works on a power base converter and the Retron 5 as I was watching it power up and play.

If I had known that was something so significant, I would have captured some video of it.

But it most certainly does work.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Not that I don't love a good conspiracy theory, but maybe it doesn't work with a powerbase converter AND a Sega Genesis. Maybe they found a way around the problem in emulation.
IIRC it uses an old TMS9918 video mode which the Genesis VDP dropped support for. Trivial to fix in emulation.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Less than a week until april 30. Hyperkin promised they would ship before the end of April, but I haven't heard anything about my preorder from Amazon.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
What piece of vaporware will get released first? This or that shitty aluminum NES?

DrScience

n00b
Less than a week until april 30. Hyperkin promised they would ship before the end of April.

Word on the street is that Hyperkin is now going to ship toward the end of May and that is a "Soft" release and only some retailers will only be getting 4 units.
Amazon will not be getting any units until closer to summer.

Sucks if true as I've had mine pre-ordered with Amazon but at least we have the $99.99 pre-order guarantee as the new price is $139.99

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Word on the street is that Hyperkin is now going to ship toward the end of May and that is a "Soft" release and only some retailers will only be getting 4 units.
Amazon will not be getting any units until closer to summer.

Sucks if true as I've had mine pre-ordered with Amazon but at least we have the $99.99 pre-order guarantee as the new price is $139.99

LOL - IT"S ONEFUCKINGFORTY!??!? HAHAHAHAHAH I thought it'd be like $119.99, they might as well make the fucker $149. I thought the fucking liar PR guy said it was just a little more than $99.

If you're right about all this, I won't call you DrPMSent anymore.

Last edited:

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Man there is a thread over on NA about how this whole thing is spiraling out of control check here

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Man there is a thread over on NA about how this whole thing is spiraling out of control check here

AHAHHAh - I love it. . FUCKING NA

Here's the best part - the true NA member:

Screen shot 2014-04-24 at 5.10.00 PM.png

Worst consumers ever, stupid fucking puppet. LOL or best if you're a seller.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I would like it to come out earlier, but I'm actually fine with it getting delayed.

We live in a world where EA and other companies are releasing buggy unplayable games too early. A company is actually delaying something due to quality issues, doing the right thing, and the internet throws a fucking fit.

DrScience

n00b

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I would like it to come out earlier, but I'm actually fine with it getting delayed.

We live in a world where EA and other companies are releasing buggy unplayable games too early. A company is actually delaying something due to quality issues, doing the right thing, and the internet throws a fucking fit.

Yeah, but didn't they originally stall them because of build quality, some shitty pins or something? Don't give them too much credit, there is no software update for faulty components.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
The member over there by Piko was saying he had some crazy amount of pre orders that they were not wanting to honor at the lower price and they tried stiffing him with a bunch of cartridge shells or something. He has edited all his posts on the matter after talking to the "lady" where ever. I think he should have left it all up for people to see. The pictures of the units are just ugly as all fuck and the side controller ports are gonna make it fun!

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
The member over there by Piko was saying he had some crazy amount of pre orders that they were not wanting to honor at the lower price and they tried stiffing him with a bunch of cartridge shells or something. He has edited all his posts on the matter after talking to the "lady" where ever. I think he should have left it all up for people to see. The pictures of the units are just ugly as all fuck and the side controller ports are gonna make it fun!

It's NA man, they can be bought off with back issues of Nintendo Power - and not NES era NP, we're talking N64 and beyond - the drivel.

Edit - HOLY SHIT they fucked him, now I feel bad for the NP comment towards this dude.

Originally posted by: Piko

A very disgusting bump

Just spoke with hyperkin, they won't respect the pricing they gave me for the 120 preorders i made.

They were the ones that told me not to ask more than 100 usd for the retron 5 reward on my kickstarter.

They had promised to purchase 1000 multicar carts to bundle woth the retron 5. And now they are backing down.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, but didn't they originally stall them because of build quality, some shitty pins or something? Don't give them too much credit, there is no software update for faulty components.

Quality. Software or hardware....

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member

It's not everyday that a reseller gets fucked over. Best course he can take is to refund all preorders and back away.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

lol I see Amazon has finally removed the price from the listing.

When I returned from MGC, they still had it listed up @ $99.

A 40% price hike is pretty fucking terrible. I dunno wtf Hyperkin was thinking.

I was in the room when they said, verbatim, "Just north of $100."

A 40% increase to $140 is a bit more than "Just north".

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I was considering an impulse buy at $99. For $139, it had better make me toast and give me blowjobs in the morning.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
lol I see Amazon has finally removed the price from the listing.

When I returned from MGC, they still had it listed up @ $99.

A 40% price hike is pretty fucking terrible. I dunno wtf Hyperkin was thinking.

I was in the room when they said, verbatim, "Just north of $100."

A 40% increase to $140 is a bit more than "Just north".

Since you saw it working... how's the video/audio quality? Is it worth $140?