Last Resort

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
This game is a serious ball buster.

I can get to stage 4 on one credit then everything falls apart. Honestly, most of the falling apart happens on stage 3.

I've watched the video on youtube of someone 1cc'ing it [through both loops] and it makes my head hurt.

I've noticed there is a bit of a ranking system recently though that's opening the game up some for me, although I am having to relearn parts with this new strategy. If this is old news, feel free to make fun of me.

The games difficulty is directly related to how powered up you are, similar to say, Batrider. The more power ups you collect, the harder shit gets.

It seems like you can only pick up 2 before rank goes up. I was just powering all the way up and got barraged with missiles in the halfway point of stage 3, but noticed it didn't happened if I died right before. I only recently figured out it's directly related to your weapon level. Moral of the story: The game is easier if you don't power up all the way

Anyone have any tips or stories to share?

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
The only thing that comes to mind is that normal shot/autofire suck big time.

Most of the success I get from this beauty is to charge up the "force" ( Sorry R-Type! )
all the time and make the most damage I can to anything, anywhere.

Stage 4 is mostly dodge-a-lot for me.

I can get to stage 5, but I never got past it. I usually pause the game and chill listening to its wonderful tunes.

Top game.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
This game is a serious ball buster.

I can get to stage 4 on one credit then everything falls apart. Honestly, most of the falling apart happens on stage 3.

I've watched the video on youtube of someone 1cc'ing it [through both loops] and it makes my head hurt.

I've noticed there is a bit of a ranking system recently though that's opening the game up some for me, although I am having to relearn parts with this new strategy. If this is old news, feel free to make fun of me.

The games difficulty is directly related to how powered up you are, similar to say, Batrider. The more power ups you collect, the harder shit gets.

It seems like you can only pick up 2 before rank goes up. I was just powering all the way up and got barraged with missiles in the halfway point of stage 3, but noticed it didn't happened if I died right before. I only recently figured out it's directly related to your weapon level. Moral of the story: The game is easier if you don't power up all the way

Anyone have any tips or stories to share?

I always wondered why the game would get noticeable harder at random spots. I just thought it was a quarter eating technique. On the flip side, the resulting slowdown helps mitigate the increased difficulty level.

The only thing that comes to mind is that normal shot/autofire suck big time.

Most of the success I get from this beauty is to charge up the "force" ( Sorry R-Type! )
all the time and make the most damage I can to anything, anywhere.

Stage 4 is mostly dodge-a-lot for me.

I can get to stage 5, but I never got past it. I usually pause the game and chill listening to its wonderful tunes.

Top game.

The music is amazing in this game! I prefer the original soundtrack vs the CD remix.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I honestly suck at the game mainly because I never got past stage 3. The power up ranking is news to me and may explain why I die so much on stage 3.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
The music is amazing in this game! I prefer the original soundtrack vs the CD remix.

Absolutely.

This is also one of the reasons I consider it the most epic Neo Geo shooter.
The really big complain I have is that it's a bit short.

I know it's already a butt-pain to get to the 2nd loop, but 2 extra stages at a better balanced
difficulty would have made this piece of art a truly much more appreciated shooter than it actually is.

Every note the YM2610 sings from this game gives me goose bumps.

1cced it, both loops on hard. Funny, I never powerup the ship all the way. I don´t get the 3rd "S" it makes the ship move too fast, it is only really useful at the asteroid part.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
The original, more electronic sounding, soundtrack matches the game more. This game has some of the best music availible on the Neo. I only wish I was better at it.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Weapon power up level related to difficulty!? Fuck me, I need to play more and see how to game this.