Sega cdx rgb issue *Added Videos*

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Ive ordered 2 sega cdx units from ebay. The 1st one I got had a rgb video issue were everything was dim and distorted. Received my 2nd one in the mail yesterday and same thing.

I tried the composite cables and everything works fine so I went ahead and let the system run for about 15 minutes and sure enough the screen starts to get brighter and brighter and the distortion starts to go away to the point were it looks perfect.

Could this just be a normal thing because the last seller never used rgb before and it requires some warming up or is it a fault in the console. It can't be a coincedence that both units have the same rgb video issue.

This is the start up of the console with no warm up

http://youtu.be/r2LVrsgWbWQ

This is after 10-15 min warm up
http://youtu.be/8YOG3Nf1pM8

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I have two euro scart cables. One was bought from retrogamingcables and the other one I don't remember. Now, I have another sega cdx which I purchased from Ghost Dog a few weeks ago and that one does not require a warm up for the rgb video to work fine. Any ideas?

I also would like to add that I am using the correct power supply. 9.5v @ 1.5 Amps. The seller sent me the sega cdx w/ the Genny 2 psu just like the other ebay seller did.

Last edited:

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
It could be needing a recap. I'm doing a cd drive repair on one and the rgb works without an issue.
Btw if you open one up and don't mind can you record all the pot readings for the cd drive? I can't seem to get it dialed in correctly.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My money is on caps as well, especially if the cables work fine on the other unit. There are a lot of genesis cables not built to spec, but that doesn't seem to be your issue.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
are you cornering the market on CDX units lol?

I like to own two sometimes three of everything. It's a ocd type thing.

It could be needing a recap. I'm doing a cd drive repair on one and the rgb works without an issue.
Btw if you open one up and don't mind can you record all the pot readings for the cd drive? I can't seem to get it dialed in correctly.

I was thinking caps as well. I don't want to mess with that though since I'm afraid I would probably do it wrong and the system wouldn't work anymore. Can you point me in the right direction on who could do a cdx recap?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Added two videos of the issue I'm having.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So I brought this unit over my parents house since I have a gaming setup in my old room and everything works fine. No need for a warm up. Could it be one of the inputs on my scart selector is acting up?