De-Soldering Question

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Ok, so I have 2 solder suckers now, one of those plastic ones and a de-soldering iron from Radio Shack (It's not bad). Problem is, how do I de-solder bigger things like mask roms, sound chips, amp chips? I mean, I can get all the solder on the bottom, but the chip never wants to pull out no matter how much I try. I must have spent 2 hours doing one chip. I saw that on the top part of the chip (the components side) there is solder still in it, but I'm not quite sure how to get that stuff on top...I mean I tried using a braid too, but that did shit lol. Any suggestions/better equipment?

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Here is some tribal knowledge. It is always best to ADD solder to a joint you are trying to desolder in order to make the solder flow better for removal with your iron and pump.

I would suggest you cut straight to the chase and save yourself a TON of time and just buy a Hakko 808

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Here is some tribal knowledge. It is always best to ADD solder to a joint you are trying to desolder in order to make the solder flow better for removal with your iron and pump.

I would suggest you cut straight to the chase and save yourself a TON of time and just buy a Hakko 808

Yeah, I do that as well...geez not sure what I was doing wrong lol.

Edit: Is that Hakko De-solderer really good?

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Use an index finger nail to tug on each chip leg after you initially desolder it, to see if it is free or not. Sometimes the pin is stuck with a tiny bit of solder and will snap free with a pull. If it doesn't, you need to try desoldering it again. This really only applies to single sided boards. For double sided boards, typically you'll have to desolder a hole twice, to get solder off both sides of the PCB, then try tugging on the pin to see if it's free.

If you can get every pin to do that, the chip should come out easily. For stubborn double sided boards, try grabbing the chip at its sides and rock it left and right to break away any almost-desoldered pins. If the chip still refuses to come out with a bit of pulling (not a ton of force), then there's at least one pin that isn't fully desoldered. One pin can keep the whole chip stuck in place.

DIP ICs just need patience and persistence.