Best Neo shooter ever!

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
chocolate cake with raspberry jam. Delicious.

8G026a8.gif

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
Pulstar is the king, followed closely by blazing star. I recently got prehistoric isle 2 and have been investing some serious time. Its working past aero fighters 3 for 3rd place. It's fun to blast shitty dinos.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I would say Shock Troopers is the best shooter, but most people consider it a run & gun rather than a shooter.
Blazing Star and Pulstar are generally considered the best shooters on the Neo Geo, but they are also outrageously difficult and not all that accessible for a beginner to try to 1cc. Last Resort also has some difficult parts. So I would say that other games like Aero Fighters 2, 3 are also contenders for the best on the Neo, as they are reasonable prospects for the average gamer to 1cc (i.e., you don't have to be an insane player like BBH to finish them on one credit).

No one said Alpha Mission? Can´t understand why, it´s really an amazing shmup...
Alpha Mission 2 has a lot of atmosphere. I like the music and graphics.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Pulstar is merely nothing but memorization. Much like R-Type.
Do you like/prefer memorisation shooters, Panda?

personally, I found that Last Resort was a really good balance of both aspects: memorisation and instinct/reaction...

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Do you like/prefer memorisation shooters, Panda?

personally, I found that Last Resort was a really good balance of both aspects: memorisation and instinct/reaction...

Pretty much I like any shooter, bullet hell, aimed shot, pattern based. I like em all!

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Hmm, would you put Ikaruga in the bullet hell category or pattern based? I love that game :D

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Hmm, would you put Ikaruga in the bullet hell category or pattern based? I love that game :D

I've seen a video of a guy playing 1P and 2P at the same time. It certainly gave me the impression it was pattern-based if he could manage that one.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I've seen a video of a guy playing 1P and 2P at the same time. It certainly gave me the impression it was pattern-based if he could manage that one.
It's a mix of a few different shmup genres really. It's simultaneously (as far as I can ascertain) a puzzler, pattern based and whatever term you use to describe enemies that gun for you personally (as opposed to pattern spreading) via suicide bullet attacks.

It all keeps you on your toes rather nicely...

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
Pulstar is obviously difficult but I feel like it's my fault when I die and not the game being frustrating or unfairly difficult. I can now get to the 3rd stage without a single death. That game feels so rewarding when you have areas mastered. Memorization is absolutely a thing I enjoy about shooters.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
i dont know what it is but somehow viewpoint is just the most iconic game when i think about the neogeo in general. There are many good neo geo shooters but viewpoint is just a really good classic, its probably the old neo geo game that aged the best during the years (it came out in 1993 for the AES i think).
And i dont care if any one believe me or not but i beat this crab and the bee after that and am now in level 4 against the skull, obviously its very recommenced using a memory-card because the game is insanely hard.