Doing the dips

jessiewonka

New Challenger
I'm curious if there's a general consensus around Neo Geo game dips regarding lives, continues and difficulty.

Defaults are fine to get to know a game, but it seems like turning off continues across the board would arguably make for better game play. For me this is a large part of the attraction to the 80s arcade games, where continues were largely not an option.

I've seen a few threads for specific games, and 1CC lists, but not a broader perspective, if there is one.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I just leave as default but normally have one credit and then start again except on scrolling beat 'em ups where I generally have 3 credits unless I'm going for a score.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If you're playing on the home system, the home mode generally present you with a selectable difficulty and a preset limited number of continues.

Last edited:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Defaults are fine to get to know a game, but it seems like turning off continues across the board would arguably make for better game play
I don't see a connection between default settings and choosing whether or not to use continues. Honestly, I've never had an issue just zipping through the countdown. Even when Batrider asks me "please" ten times in a row.

There are very few games I don't play on Default. One example would be the Korean version of Sengeki Striker, because screw it, may as well crank it up to 8 since the game is going to bend me over anyway.