Record collecting

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I decided to treat myself and get the data discs versions of Shenmue and golden axe, those disc colors are sexy and some amazing soundtracks to boot. I am definitely eyeing the panzer dragoon release

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
there's a possibility of other raiden stuff - that original link was retweeted by the band account of go sato

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I decided to treat myself and get the data discs versions of Shenmue and golden axe, those disc colors are sexy and some amazing soundtracks to boot. I am definitely eyeing the panzer dragoon release

Yeah the Golden Axe is very nice looking. The Streets of rage and Shinobi III Lp are amazing also.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm moving my turntable to my side office. Does anyone have a small speaker setup they recommend?
-Not something too modern looking.
-Not something ridiculously expensive.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm moving my turntable to my side office. Does anyone have a small speaker setup they recommend?

Advent made amazing small speakers.

So long as you aren't blasting the bass.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,

The Elac Debut B6 is absolutely fantastic for the money. Hard to make suggesting with out knowing the associated gear and some other details. Feel free to PM me or post up in the A/V thread; I don't want to derail all this great vinyl talk.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

Missed some rad Black Friday deals, Broham.
I myself scored a pair of Elac Uni Fi UB5s with the walnut vinyl cabs for 400. I'll post a pic when I set them up ... sometime after Christmas.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I'm thinking about getting into Record collecting what do I need to get started?

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I'm thinking about getting into Record collecting what do I need to get started?

I am pretty new to the hobby but I pretty much just started out just buying albums that I really like to hear. You have to decide if you are trying to collect just to have something with potential value ( I.E. Looking at flea markets or ebay and comparing serial numbers for some old records, or looking up the latest limited edition release color for a niche record you like.) Or just wanting the physical copy of a favorite album just to spin in your spare time. For example, amazon gives you the LP as well as a rip of the mp3s so that you can listen to the album on the go.
Also, please take your time with buying a player, receiver, and speakers because there are so many options and routes that you can go down. Some people swear by belt drive and others swear by direct drive(Do some Research to see if the needle and cartridge is still being made for the turntable).
Fortunately for me, I was able to pick up an old receiver that had a built in "PHONO" pre-amp and a set of speakers from my uncle who used to collect back in the 80s. However, you might find comfort in just buying something released in 2016 because it is much easier to test out than taking the risk of buying it used on Ebay.

Allot of the guys in this thread have been doing this for allot longer than me and can give you way better advice, but this is just my input on the hobby as a whole. Trust me, the hobby is addicting at first because there will be so many albums that sound allot better on record than they do when listening to it in your car, so you will be wanting to purchase at least one from every artist you like if it is available.
Also, don't let anyone talk you into a setup that they have. Because the most expensive setup might not be practical for what you are interested in doing with this hobby.
I hope this helps!

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
do not get one of the cheap Crosley setups.

There's 1000's of used turntables that are much much better.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Oh wow Barnes & Noble the other day had a decent selection of stuff.

I've been collecting for about 7 years now. I'm into jukeboxes so these days all I've gotten so far are 45's. I stopped buying records in the early 90's.

What's the difference between 150 & 190 gram pressings?

20161215_233454.jpg
20161215_233904.jpg20161215_234045.jpg
20161215_234120.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W40zjflLmA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPkTpuKyfsg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pay64Ejsmaw&t=15s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFvMz8IRYW8

Anybody know a place to get those totes cheap?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Oh wow Barnes & Noble the other day had a decent selection of stuff.

I've been collecting for about 7 years now. I'm into jukeboxes so these days all I've gotten so far are 45's. I stopped buying records in the early 90's.

View attachment 41365
View attachment 41366View attachment 41367
View attachment 41368
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W40zjflLmA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPkTpuKyfsg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pay64Ejsmaw&t=15s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFvMz8IRYW8

Anybody know a place to get those totes cheap?

If you are using expensive or hard to find 45's, I recommend a Seeburg. Much less movement and wear on the record as the mech moves to the selection, not the other way around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA0TfexGZEI

I always pick up the tote boxes at estate sales. Doesn't seem like I can find enough. It is so hard to get people to give them up. If you get a nice psychedelic one, you can sell it for decent money.

I mostly use 7" crates. Walmart always blows them out for like $00.50 ea. as soon as school starts.

I also like that southern culture 7" as I try to collect wrestling related records. I'll add that to my discogs wantlist.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I know some people here like Videogame soundtracks... so just wanted to drop in and say there's a Sunset Riders 10" out on iam8bit.

from what I've gathered, strictly speaking, it's just the weight.

"Heavyweight" (180g, 200g) does not automatically offer superior sound quality, but the discs are more robust (not to groove wear, but to other physical manipulations) and more stable when put on a turntables platter. In older releases, 180g and up often indicates higher standarts in mastering/cut, sometimes there were even special pressing dies that made the surface flatter than with regular records, which does have real advantages. Heavyweight was also often geared towards people expecting more "audiophile" records, hence there was more effort put into their production.

As the market for vinyl has changed (mainly through the resurgence in vinyl since 2005) the grams don't say much at all about the quality of a pressing anymore. What is (and has always been) most important is mastering, pressing and plating.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I assume they put everything on 180g because they can't get a good press on regular vinyl. Between lack of equipment, poor vinyl quality and newer albums being too long (18 minutes per side is the quality breaking point).

I recently bought a standard press of Linkin Park's Hybrid theory brand new. I had to return it. The damn thing was warped so bad. I don't even think it was pressed right.

As far as Vinyl goes, you can't beat a good 60's and early 70's pressing. I've had Rolling Stones and Hendrix records with big visible scratches on them. But when played, nary a click.

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Norton-
Yeah a local guy was saying something similiar about totes. They make new ones but they want 20-30 for them and a lot of them look low quality.

NSM jukes are similiar to that Seeburg. I've heard several people complain about about them that they get too hot and seem like they're going to catch on fire, in fact didn't one of Seeburgs factories burn down?
I don't know know that that handling process would be much kinder. I had a nsm that sometimes wouldn't pull the record out fully and then would start scrolling left to right while playing... shattering it. I'd guess that plain mechanical errors are the biggest threat.

Anyways it doesn't matter, no most my 45's are cheapos, I usually buy large lots of them on Ebay. It takes along time to go through them and get 3 new records out of hundreds and then you gotta figure out a thrift store to dispose of them at. I like doing it though and its cheap.

The Southern CuIlture was listed as a Cd, I was pretty stoked when came but I can't listen to it in my car which was why I go it. I think it has 8 songs on 2 records, that's why it confused me (other than the description & title). There's a 50-60's Mexican motif going on, a bunch of stuff is in Spanish, the records look like Vintage Mexican and the artwork features wrestlers and monsters with the band members mixed in. There's a cover of the Medallions Doubleshot but in Spanish. Solid Maxi Single or whatever you call half an album. It's rockabilly / alternative.

xsq, thanks for the info its always nice to have knowledge people around.