Record collecting

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
10154111_10152331810347298_7238263914218500710_n.jpg

Here is a picture of my setup atm.
How much do Technics turntables sell for ? I have a second one I don't use, the same model as this one, but no mat or arm.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Here is a picture of my setup atm.
How much do Technics turntables sell for ? I have a second one I don't use, the same model as this one, but no mat or arm.

Assuming that's a SL-1200 MK2 (or other 1200) you're looking at a decent cost since they're sought after by DJs and are discontinued. With everything working, ballpark $350 - $550 (I got a pair for $500 before they were discontinued, now it's not unheard of for people to pay that for a single one).

I wouldn't worry about a missing slipmat, those are cheap, but if the tonearm is missing that'll put a big dent in your asking price.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
ive heard DJ tables/stylus damage records.. is this true?

incorrect. if you have a cheap turntable/stylus, that can damage your records. the only time a dj damages records is if he/she is performing the art of "turntablism"(scratching).

also, don't clean your records with lighter fluid

skate323k137

10 Year Member
yeah, that, and a lot of DJs have no god damned clue what tracking force is and put way too much weight on their needles. Or they never replace needles, or never clean their records. Those cases can definitely result in degraded sound quality.

My scratch records do take a bit of a hit sound quality wise after a while. However, the stuff I play regularly and that I keep clean holds up just fine.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
There's no such thing as a "DJ table," although I guess it would be anything with a good direct drive. Your stylus/tonearm/tracking weight are what makes the difference. DJ styluses are conical and most DJs track at a much heavier weight to prevent skipping from scratching or from movement in the club jarring the stylus. This extra pressure on the grooves wears records out quicker.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Well, I've gigged with both crappy decks I picked up on flea markets and the better stuff like MK2s, and yeah, there IS such as thing as a DJ-compatible deck. A properly mounted MK2 will withstand impacts and nudges that would send the arm of a normal desk bouncing all over the record. As a DJ, you simply feel way more confident with a proper deck. A good direct or at least very strong belt drive helps as well, specially if you're a quick mixer/cutter.

About a worn stylus that damages records: The shape of a stylus in good condition fits to the groove of the record. If it gets worn out, it changes shape due to constant wear and may develop sharp edges that can lead to a widening of the groove and ultimately to a deteoriated sound. A record like that sounds muffled and blurry.

I usually buy Ortofon gear and change the stylus every two years to be on the safe side. However, if you don't happen to be a DJ who is on tour every weekend, a good-quality diamond stylus can be used for five years and more as well.

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Technics 1200's are pretty much the gold standard for DJ turntables. Go to any club, bar, or dance venue around the world and if they have turntables - more than likely they are going to be 1200's. I would say most vinyl DJ's (including myself) are comfortable and familiar with the overall feel and pitch control on Technics,1200's and if you end up at a gig and they have Stantons, Numarks, or Gemini's it's pretty disappointing! Plus 1200's are built like tanks, I've seen the jankiest, trashiest specimens in NY clubs still function properly and stop on a dime. That's probably why the resale value of 1200's just keeps going up ever since they were discontinued..

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Technics 1200's are pretty much the gold standard for DJ turntables. Go to any club, bar, or dance venue around the world and if they have turntables - more than likely they are going to be 1200's. I would say most vinyl DJ's (including myself) are comfortable and familiar with the overall feel and pitch control on Technics,1200's and if you end up at a gig and they have Stantons, Numarks, or Gemini's it's pretty disappointing! Plus 1200's are built like tanks, I've seen the jankiest, trashiest specimens in NY clubs still function properly and stop on a dime. That's probably why the resale value of 1200's just keeps going up ever since they were discontinued..

For sure. If a club doesn't have 1200s, I'm bringing my own.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I have a small vinyl collection, but I have worked hard to refurb a nice setup.
I run a Pioneer PL 560 that i've overhauled to near perfection. This has been my only in person purchase on Craigslist.

For the Vinyl itself, I have to own some Jazz. Dave Brubek, some Bebop, and just a little big band.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Assuming that's a SL-1200 MK2 (or other 1200) you're looking at a decent cost since they're sought after by DJs and are discontinued. With everything working, ballpark $350 - $550 (I got a pair for $500 before they were discontinued, now it's not unheard of for people to pay that for a single one).

I wouldn't worry about a missing slipmat, those are cheap, but if the tonearm is missing that'll put a big dent in your asking price.

Thanks for the info. I used the wrong term though, I didnt mean the whole arm, just the needle part.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Next week is Record Store Day don't forget!

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Freudian Slip???

Also, how much do record day releases typically cost for the 45's or Albums?

That is a hard question to answer. The prices vary quite considerably. I don't recall RSD specific releases being more expensive just for being RSD releases. When they get on ebay though...then yea sometimes the prices jump

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
Almost every RSD release is about $10-100 more expensive than it should be.

Nothing like an order of magnitude range to maximize obfuscation.

Two RSD releases I got for less than $10:
-Borknagar, Olden Domain LP
-Pink Floyd 45 Box Set, The Wall

The moral of the story is, find a friendly record store for RSD.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Almost every RSD release is about $10-100 more expensive than it should be.

Not from my experience and you can always gamble and just wait for the price to go down a month later when no one has bought the record.

I have a ton of old, good vinyl and an 80s/maybe early 90s Denon turntable with a broken cartridge.

Should I pick up a new fancy turntable, or replace the cartridge?

I don't know the proper terms. Needle/cartridge/whatever..

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Google the model. Might be easiest to keep it and get it working again instead of dropping $$$$. Might have to get a phono amp for it though to work with your modern stereo, which you can get for less than $100.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Two RSD releases I got for less than $10:
-Borknagar, Olden Domain LP
-Pink Floyd 45 Box Set, The Wall

The moral of the story is, find a friendly record store for RSD.

That Wall box set is $35 minimum now and was definitely more than $10 retail. Just because your local store gives stuff away doesn't mean anything for the rest of us.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
Not from my experience and you can always gamble and just wait for the price to go down a month later when no one has bought the record.

+1

My local store, which is large, buys way too many of some releases. These end up getting unloaded at cost a couple weeks later.