Record collecting

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I like discogs, because it seems like good late 70s/early 80s new wave is hard to come by in NYC. But other wise one of my favorite things to do in the summer is check out flea markets and stoop sales for a good record and give it a spin at home. I also have a few stores that I go to have a good selection of good condition vinyls.

I recently used discogs to buy a couple of Blondie records. I think I'll swing by that Turntable Lab place this weekend.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Just spent the last hour perusing the Turntable Lab site and ended up dropping about $75. It was all newish stuff so the prices were pretty much the same across the board from site to site. But their site is slick and I expect my records to be packaged properly.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The idea of actually listening to records I got tired of quick. Similar to trying to watch a Laserdisc. Flipping the sides isn't that big of a deal since I do the same thing when I listen to tapes, which I prefer. It is the fact that records just seem to skip all the damn time.

Uh... clean them, buy an anti static brush and check your arm weight if your turn table has one and set it properly. Aside from that stop buying fucked up scratched records.

Out of all the records I have bought or received over the past decade only 1 has ever skipped. You are doing something wrong.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Uh... clean them, buy an anti static brush and check your arm weight if your turn table has one and set it properly. Aside from that stop buying fucked up scratched records.

Out of all the records I have bought or received over the past decade only 1 has ever skipped. You are doing something wrong.

His stylus could have been worn out too.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
It is so hard to collect around here. All I see at thrift and garage sales are Christian & Holiday Albums. I should post my collection sometime. One my favorites is the RDR soundtrack.
View attachment 12680

:buttrock: Holy shit that is awesome. :buttrock:

As for mail-ordering, I've only ordered online from reputable stores, had an old KMFDM record get lost in the mail, and some store up in Chicago sent me the regular pressing of an album I ordered "deluxe" (heavier vinyl, cooler artwork). I just never trusted eBay for that kind of stuff, and after hearing about the pizza box, never will. :emb:

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
lol, not to sound like an elitist prick, but but the 50 to 100 bones bracket qualifies as "ridiculously expensive" for you?

That's the entry level price point in vinyle/LP collecting.

Choice shit in the rock/punk/grunge genres range from 500 to 2000 per title.

Damn, just goes to show how different the record collecting scene can get... I bet the people who own those records literally never play them. Luckily you don't really get that so much with jungle, I guess because it's a smaller scene? But more importantly, because it's dance music, so the records are meant to be played out in dirty clubs, not just looked at in a nice shiny display case. I think it's got a lot to do with rave culture too, old hardcore especially was big on the whole one love, free music thing so the people who collect it are going to be less inclined to spend thousands on a tune for bragging rights, because quite simply, no one would be impressed. I for one have pretty much decided never to break my £50 barrier again, barring it being ridiculously rare/mint/totally unavailable in any other format. I've cut myself a couple of dub plates for this very reason, because price gouging pricks were asking silly money for tunes available on cd format. £30 and a quick email to dubstudio and i've got a vinyl copy to play in a club... (Although now that cd decks are more common, i'd probably just burn a cd)

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza

Arm weight is the big one. Strictly Underground records used to have 'This record will not skip if your turntable arm is set up properly' (or words to that effect) printed on the label. Although, I think that was down to shitty mastering and producers not knowing how to get the maximum amount of bass out of their tunes. Used to throw the needle right out of the groove.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member

Dude I found my turntable in a dead guy's attic. I'm surprised the damn thing works at all.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I have a pretty small collection because I only buy vinyl from my favorite bands. Off the top of my head I have...

The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium
The Receiving End of Sirens - Between the Heart and the Synapse, The Earth Sings Mi Fa Mi, and the rarities EP
Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence, Worship & Tribute (both colors), complete Our Color Green set, and Our Color Green Custom Fucking Package reprint
Thrice - The Illusion of Safety, The Artist in the Ambulance, Thursday split EP
Refused - the ones I just mentioned and both colors of The Shape of Punk to Come
The Get Up Kids - On a Wire
Brand New - Daisy
At The Drive In - Relationship of Command
Cave In - Until Your Heart Stops
Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice and Menos El Oso
Circa Survive - The Inuit Sessions
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Signed Under the Running Board

Wants:
Anything from The Get Up Kids
Brand New - Deja Entendu and The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Every Time I Die - Hot Damn and Gutter Phenomenon
Glassjaw - Cosmopolitan Bloodloss

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet

Ahh the days of stacking pennies on the stylus is making a comeback.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Hope you have about $300 laying around.

Seriously. I almost paid $150 for one a few years ago. I knew the price would only go up, but I didn't pull the trigger. I'm hoping for a lucky Good Will pull.

MrRoboto19XX

Rugal's Thug
I've got about 200-250 records laying around at my place, and while I wouldn't say I collect them per se, I certainly seek out the ones I want.

Most of my stuff is 70's/80's Punk and New Wave, with a secondary emphasis on more recent Punk stuff. Baltimore actually has some really good vinyl shops, so I'm able to get stuff pretty frequently. I'm a big fan of Elvis Costello as well as The Clash, so I've got most of their respective discographies, as well as some good Costello bootlegs from back then.

If I buy new music at all, its pretty much exclusively on vinyl. Most new albums come with download codes, and its nice to know that so long as I've got a decent turntable, I'll get a good sound out of them.

The only thing that's close to a frustration for me is how some records can simply elude you, seemingly without reason. I've been searching locally for a copy of The Jesus and Mary Chain's Pyschocandy for a good two years now and just haven't come across it. Strange.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I've got about 200-250 records laying around at my place, and while I wouldn't say I collect them per se, I certainly seek out the ones I want.

Most of my stuff is 70's/80's Punk and New Wave, with a secondary emphasis on more recent Punk stuff. Baltimore actually has some really good vinyl shops, so I'm able to get stuff pretty frequently. I'm a big fan of Elvis Costello as well as The Clash, so I've got most of their respective discographies, as well as some good Costello bootlegs from back then.

If I buy new music at all, its pretty much exclusively on vinyl. Most new albums come with download codes, and its nice to know that so long as I've got a decent turntable, I'll get a good sound out of them.

The only thing that's close to a frustration for me is how some records can simply elude you, seemingly without reason. I've been searching locally for a copy of The Jesus and Mary Chain's Pyschocandy for a good two years now and just haven't come across it. Strange.

That or certain records command outrageous prices due to a limited run. I've wanted to get a decent chunk of Cake's albums on vinyl, but they're all pricey aside from the last release. They have a boxset for record store day, but that'll mean buying the albums that are pretty weak as well.

fugh

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I'm lucky to have one of the best record stores around in my area. Wuxtry Atlanta/Athens.

Unfortunately, my other favorite shop closed down. They did an unbelievable job cleaning and grading every record. When I say graded....I mean they noted the overall sound quality and if there was a problem how far into a track it was!

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
IMG_20140401_181831.jpg

Here are my 45s I bought in Iran last summer. Most of them are funky sounding 70s Iranian pop music, the other two are more traditional Persian music.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
That's cool. Whenever I travel one of the first things I seek out is a record store.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Damn, just goes to show how different the record collecting scene can get... I bet the people who own those records literally never play them. Luckily you don't really get that so much with jungle, I guess because it's a smaller scene? But more importantly, because it's dance music, so the records are meant to be played out in dirty clubs, not just looked at in a nice shiny display case. I think it's got a lot to do with rave culture too, old hardcore especially was big on the whole one love, free music thing so the people who collect it are going to be less inclined to spend thousands on a tune for bragging rights, because quite simply, no one would be impressed. I for one have pretty much decided never to break my £50 barrier again, barring it being ridiculously rare/mint/totally unavailable in any other format. I've cut myself a couple of dub plates for this very reason, because price gouging pricks were asking silly money for tunes available on cd format. £30 and a quick email to dubstudio and i've got a vinyl copy to play in a club... (Although now that cd decks are more common, i'd probably just burn a cd)

Yeah, when it comes to classic rock, etc... things get retarded/neo-geoish fast, a guy I know bought a Velvet Underground acetate for 1000€ just a while ago.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Yeah, when it comes to classic rock, etc... things get retarded/neo-geoish fast, a guy I know bought a Velvet Underground acetate for 1000€ just a while ago.
Wouldn't a Velvet Underground acetate be worth that? Aren't acetates rare?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I have heaps of vinyl records. I love listening to The Police on record opposed to anything else. Hell yeah.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Wouldn't a Velvet Underground acetate be worth that? Aren't acetates rare?

An acetate is a dub plate, which means it's made of a softer type of plastic than normal records and is recorded by cutting the groove into it with a kind of reverse record deck, rather than being made in a press with a metal mould. So yes, they are incredibly rare because they can be one offs, rather than part of a printing run, with a minimum of say 10-20 test pressings. The closest jungle record collecting comes to rock and roll prices would be dub plate collecting, because there are loads of tunes that got hammered by the big djs but never got released properly and only exist on dub plates.
The major problem with them though, is that they don't last. Apparently it takes as little as 30 playings for a noticeable degradation in sound quality, so it's wouldn't take very long at all for it to turn into a very expensive paper weight. (As a side note, modern dub plates don't have this problem though, since the technology has improved and they're made of better quality plastic)

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
i've got about 50 records now

mostly classic rock and 80s stuff

the two record shops closest to me specialize in those genres so that's what i mostly own, although my musical taste is rather broad and eclectic so i am definitely hoping to expand my collection once some more disposable income comes my way

i wouldn't ever want to spend serious money on an album, so i have like a $20 max and don't care about the condition as long as it sounds good