15 Year Member
an old ep from ken ishii...

oait.jpg

which also glows in the dark

toow.jpg

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Last year I found two technics turn tables on the corner and I took it, I cleaned em and bought a new needle and they worked. A few months after I saw a neighbor throw out a box of vinyls so I immediately took it and went home and started trying to scratch. (I had no idea what I was doing lol)

My collection now is mostly opera stuff and unknown 70s Quebec singers. My only note worthy records would be Pink Floyd Dark side of the Moon and a Lionel Richie joint. Oh I also went to Iran last summer and brought back some vinyls from there too, though they only had smaller ones. I have no idea what the proper terminologies would be, but I need to buy an adapter to properly play the smaller ones on the turn table, for the moment I use a cut out piece of cardboard.

That Akira joint looks sick, that movie gave me nightmares when I was a kid lol

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Oh I also went to Iran last summer and brought back some vinyls from there too, though they only had smaller ones. I have no idea what the proper terminologies would be, but I need to buy an adapter to properly play the smaller ones on the turn table, for the moment I use a cut out piece of cardboard.

45's?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
This was the 1st record I bought with a "Legowelt" remix on it(ordered it direct from Germany upon release back in 2003):

bb60.jpg

hnji.jpg

This is the track I bought the record for:

and here's another track I really enjoyed off of it:

I wish I could get a digital version of this record, but one was never released(vinyl only).

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I've got a couple hundred records. All types but the only thing I really collect are cult movie sound tracks. Everything else is stuff I actually listen to on a regular basis.

Not only are they awesome releases as far as packaging and extras but it's surprising just how awesome some OSTs actually are.

I need that Akira vinyl, I've seen a couple shops in the UK offering the reissue but the exchange rate and shipping are shit. Hoping to see it pop up here soon.

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Last year I found two technics turn tables on the corner and I took it, I cleaned em and bought a new needle and they worked. A few months after I saw a neighbor throw out a box of vinyls so I immediately took it and went home and started trying to scratch. (I had no idea what I was doing lol)

Technics decks are notorious for working even through shit like being dropped down stairs, not surprising. I have a 1300 myself, love it.

I have about 150 albums. Nothing particularly special. I have a Marvel vs. Capcom 2 hip hop mixtape that's pretty neat, a Who bootleg, and a really really nice original press of Marquee Moon. I can't really justify spending much on records, even though I love them. Most of my searching is done at yard sales and flea markets, and I mostly just find cheap jazz/classic rock/classical stuff when I can. My days of spending a lot on discogs are over.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I don't really collect, it's just my format of choice. I've lost count how many records I have.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
"Collecting" is a bit silly in my opinion. I'm not sure why many people will purchase a boat load of cheap shitty albums just for the sake of owning a lot of albums. They're cheap for a reason and a waste of space with virtually zero value. Unless scratching is your thing. :annoyed:

I only buy records that I know I will enjoy from start to finish. There are just certain albums that must be experienced on vinyl. A great example is Dark Side of The Moon. That and many other Pink Floyd albums are rock masterpieces; that's the stuff I make sure I have on vinyl.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
I have a bunch of records that I can no longer play I would like to sell but am too lazy to take pics of each one. some day... someday....

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
"Collecting" is a bit silly in my opinion. I'm not sure why many people will purchase a boat load of cheap shitty albums just for the sake of owning a lot of albums. They're cheap for a reason and a waste of space with virtually zero value. Unless scratching is your thing. :annoyed:

I only buy records that I know I will enjoy from start to finish. There are just certain albums that must be experienced on vinyl. A great example is Dark Side of The Moon. That and many other Pink Floyd albums are rock masterpieces; that's the stuff I make sure I have on vinyl.

Aye aye, me, coming from an electronic music background, I can buy "shitty" stuff just if it is useable as a dj tool.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
have about 350 or so records. Since I've gotten chunks of my collection from my mom and dad my collection is quite diverse. Modern music, classic rock, jazz, lots of Hungarian bands, just very eclectic.

I only buy stuff I'll listen to, but I'll usually take anything for free within reason.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner

Collecting the discography of bands that I like is what makes up my collection. Of course, having rock staples are a must, but some obscure stuff doesn't hurt from time to time. That reminds me...I have to find that copy of The Pork Dukes at the record store.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I probably have about 100 or so vinyl, mostly black/extreme metal.

I prefer collecting analogue tapes. I've got around 300 or so.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
I haven't bought any since I moved away from ATL (some great stores in L5P when I lived there). I have about 150 all boxed up at my parents house, probably snag em when I move back east. They're mostly indie rock and death metal, but I have a lot of great stuff mixed in too, classic rock (obviously), hip-hop, punk, classical, assorted electronic music, even found an old instructional LP for how to "DO THE HUSTLE!" for $1.

I haven't seen any record stores around Fort Collins, which is surprising considering the hipster college crowd here, I'm sure there are some in Denver but I realllllllly miss the store in Nashville, TN. I used to trek up there for records every other week when I still lived in the region. Unless it's a seller I know to be a reliable packer, I don't trust records to survive the shipping process. That's just me though, I'm naturally paranoid.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I haven't bought any since I moved away from ATL (some great stores in L5P when I lived there). I have about 150 all boxed up at my parents house, probably snag em when I move back east. They're mostly indie rock and death metal, but I have a lot of great stuff mixed in too, classic rock (obviously), hip-hop, punk, classical, assorted electronic music, even found an old instructional LP for how to "DO THE HUSTLE!" for $1.

I haven't seen any record stores around Fort Collins, which is surprising considering the hipster college crowd here, I'm sure there are some in Denver but I realllllllly miss the store in Nashville, TN. I used to trek up there for records every other week when I still lived in the region. Unless it's a seller I know to be a reliable packer, I don't trust records to survive the shipping process. That's just me though, I'm naturally paranoid.

You should be paranoid about online sellers, I've had some real shit quality ones from ebay sellers, and some packaged horribly as well.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've heard horror stories of scumbags shipping vinyl in used pizza boxes.

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I've heard horror stories of scumbags shipping vinyl in used pizza boxes.

I've been mail ordering vinyl for the last 10-12 years and thankfully never had a record arrive in a pizza box. The worst I encountered were bubble mailers w/ no reinforcement and those ridiculously thin envelopes that seemed to be popular from some UK sellers in the past. In general it seems like distros are really stepping up their shipping game, removing the record from sleeve to avoid seam splits, double boxing, etc. All in all I've been pretty lucky, but I've heard some pizza box horror stories as well.

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
^^^ I've been generally lucky with mail ordering. no smashed boxes to date and pretty much always with the record removed and plenty of bubble wrap - especially records ordered from overseas (Japan). the main problem i run into though is USPS Media Mail. the delivery time is sporadic and can be a nightmare! once i waited 3 months for a Les Rallizes Denudes LP that I thought was a goner for sure.. was worth the wait tho ; )

Also sellers' grading systems can be off sometimes (or at least not in line with your own) so I try to never get anything less than NM/VG+

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have also had a 'media mail' package get lost and take 3 or 4 months to arrive. I still usually end up choosing it to save some cash. I usually spring for EMS from overseas, but have been trying to cut back on the pricey imports. I slept on that Boris - Praparat LP from inoxia so long and now it looks like it will be annoying / more expensive to track down :/

About the grading, I know a lot of people like the Goldmine standard, but like you mentioned everyone has their own system it seems. One man's VG could be another man's NM. Whenever I list something I just make sure to take plenty of pictures and describe any imperfections (corner dings, seam splits, etc.).

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
The idea of actually listening to records I got tired of quick. Similar to trying to watch a Laserdisc. Flipping the sides isn't that big of a deal since I do the same thing when I listen to tapes, which I prefer. It is the fact that records just seem to skip all the damn time.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
It is so hard to collect around here. All I see at thrift and garage sales are Christian & Holiday Albums. I should post my collection sometime. One my favorites is the RDR soundtrack.
red_dead_redemption_12903198889465.jpg

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I do not trust ebay sellers at all. However, I've had great luck on Discogs with a couple exceptions (usually noobs) that don't package properly. The vast majority of my discogs purchases come well packed though.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Just got in the mail Refused New Noise Theology EP on transparent red, Rather Be Dead EP in clear, and This Just Might Be in transparent green.