Record collecting

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
That Wall box set is $35 minimum now and was definitely more than $10 retail. Just because your local store gives stuff away doesn't mean anything for the rest of us.

That singles box set? I would never pay more than $10 for that stupid thing. OH look an even more inefficient way to listen to music....sounds AWESOME

I'm with Pedro though, most RSD stuff doesn't seem more expensive. Maybe your main hit-up is just ripping you off. The 180gram reissues are not cheap, but the normal releases I recall being normal price. Then again I rarely pick-up actual RSD exclusives.

I'm going to be checking out the Cake box set, but haven't decided on whether I'll get it or not. I really just want Comfort Eagle and Fashion Nugget on vinyl, but all prices I've seen have them at costing over $100.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
That singles box set? I would never pay more than $10 for that stupid thing. OH look an even more inefficient way to listen to music....sounds AWESOME

I agree that it's stupid. But if I said I wouldn't pay a red cent for Pulstar that doesn't mean it's not worth the price it commands in the larger market.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
RSD prices very from store to store... Go check out out prices at NYC and Boston shops that have what they are expected to get for RSD listed and priced. There is some variation, but nothing to crazy.

Some of the RSD exclusive "not to be released again" items are sometimes a little over priced, but you are usually paying for a less than 1500 pressing and if you are a collector then a couple dollars here or there shouldn't be an issue... a good chunk of the 4k and higher pressings are pretty easy to pick up a few days down the road or a couple weeks later in a bargain bin if you are hoping for cheap deals and no RDS hassle.

I personally enjoy RSD, it's like Christmas, you have your wish list and you have no clue what you are going to end up with until the day is over.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
It's also a great time to get a bunch of stuff you wanted for a while on the cheap. The stores I hit tend to have Buy 2 Get 1 deals on used vinyl. I only have a $100 budget this year due to school costs, but I'll likely walk out with 15-20 records if I play my cards right. Always a good time to round out certain areas of your collection. If the Cake box set is too rich for my blood I'll be looking to grab some Yes, Zappa, and those pesky last few King Crimson albums.

Noticed each year it gets busier and busier though. I guess its good because it fuels the market, but at the same time I've seen the attitude of the shoppers shift too. I want to avoid the ol' classic "Hipster" label, but I see more and more individuals in that kind of get up, and acting kind of shitty too. First year or two I did RSD seemed to bring more genuine music fans and less snobby folks. Maybe I'm over thinking it, or it could be the move to the city.

Either way I can't wait. In a way it is a bit silly to have a day dedicated to buying one product (Can't wait for PS4 day!), but it also is nice to celebrate such a niche medium too.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
It's also a great time to get a bunch of stuff you wanted for a while on the cheap. The stores I hit tend to have Buy 2 Get 1 deals on used vinyl. I only have a $100 budget this year due to school costs, but I'll likely walk out with 15-20 records if I play my cards right. Always a good time to round out certain areas of your collection. If the Cake box set is too rich for my blood I'll be looking to grab some Yes, Zappa, and those pesky last few King Crimson albums.

Noticed each year it gets busier and busier though. I guess its good because it fuels the market, but at the same time I've seen the attitude of the shoppers shift too. I want to avoid the ol' classic "Hipster" label, but I see more and more individuals in that kind of get up, and acting kind of shitty too. First year or two I did RSD seemed to bring more genuine music fans and less snobby folks. Maybe I'm over thinking it, or it could be the move to the city.

Either way I can't wait. In a way it is a bit silly to have a day dedicated to buying one product (Can't wait for PS4 day!), but it also is nice to celebrate such a niche medium too.

RSD in St. Pete is/was a cakewalk. The two main stores opened 2 hours apart and the store that opened up first was a free for all. The store that opened up 2 hours later was a stand in line and wait for your turn at the counter. Once you are at the counter, you give them your list of wants and they would give you what they had. I usually got 70-80% of what I wanted by 11 am and was back home listening to tracks and sorting through the free goodies.

Still haven't decided my plan on this year... I'll more than likely head to NYC after the Black Milk concert in Boston Friday night and end up going to Rough Trade shortly after arriving in Williamsburg that morning. After RT I'll probably hit up Turn Table labs on the way over to my friends place for the remainder of the weekend. the other option is I hit up Newbury and a couple of small shops in Boston and then make my way to NYC... either way it isn't going to be as easy as St. Pete...

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Post your RSD lists!

Here's mine:
Circa Survive / Sunny Day Real Estate split 7"
Buried Alive - The Death of Your Perfect World (Buffalo hardcore is the best hardcore)
Cave In - Jupiter

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Thinking about:

Charles Bradley - I Hope You Find the Good Life (great modern soul)
Pinback - s/t
Taang! box set (but it's probably a million fucking dollars)

Might pick up the Christian Death 7'' for a friend.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
of course i have to work saturday. didnt really expect to see a lot on the list that i would want... then i saw the toxic reasons live album. I WANT THAT SOOO BAD WHYYYYYYY. I doubt my local shop will even get a copy of it in, i hope i can grab a copy online for less than a fortune.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
I've located shops that will have all of the below minus the Placebo albums and sadly those are high on my list. There are other things I want, but they fell under the "to be released again at a later time" so there is no point wasting time on them during RSD.

Bonobo - Get Thy Bearings
Neko Case & Jason Lytle - Satellite of Love
Dessa - Castor The Twin
Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full
Mel - Burning Stones
Pharoahe Monch Get Down
Placebo - 1973
Placebo - Ball of eyes
Placebo - Placebo
Various Artists - If 2.0
Various Artists - Pop Yeh Yeh - Psychedelic Rock from Singapore and Malaysia 1964-1970: Vol. 1
Sun Ra - Outer Spaceware
Mike Watt w/il sogno del marinaio - Mud Puddle/We Come To Learn
ALEXANDER ROBOTNICK - VINTAGE ROBOTNICKS
Atmoshpere - The Lake Nokomis Maxi Single
David Bowie - 1984
Broken Bells - Holdin On For Life
Built To Spill Ultimate Alternative Wavers
Circa Survive/Sunny Day Real Estate
Sam Cooke - Ain't That Good News
Oliver Hart - The Many Faces of Oliver Hart or: How Eye One the Write Too Think
Joy Division - An Ideal For Living (1978)
Lake Street Dive - What I'm Doing Here/Wedding Band
Otis Redding - Pain In My Heart
Various Artists - Electroconvulsive Therapy Vol. 2
Various Artists - The Space Project
Various Artists - Sun Records Curated by Record Store Day (Volume 1)
Various Artists - Rough Guide To Psychedelic Bollywood
Various Artists - Rough Guide To Voodoo
Various Artists - Rough Guide To African Blues
Various Artists - Rough Guide To Latin
Various Artists - Rough Guide To Mali (2nd Edition)
Charlie Brown Crosley Record player

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I want that Bonobo record that Delly listed and the stuff that Death Waltz is putting out.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
so uhh.... anyone who wants to PM me and commit to picking me up that toxic reasons live at berkeley album will receive some free cash for there troubles. :/

MrRoboto19XX

Rugal's Thug
A friend of mine just gave me this as a late birthday present:

THEYLIVEVARIANT.jpg

It's the original score for 1988's They Live. One of my favorite movies, and it's got a great soundtrack too. I like this trend of otherwise obscure pieces of music getting vinyl releases, but I've got to be honest, some of the 2nd hand prices get absolutely nuts.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
A friend of mine just gave me this as a late birthday present:

View attachment 13142

It's the original score for 1988's They Live. One of my favorite movies, and it's got a great soundtrack too. I like this trend of otherwise obscure pieces of music getting vinyl releases, but I've got to be honest, some of the 2nd hand prices get absolutely nuts.

Holy shit... I'm jealous as fuck! Nice present!

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
if I see one of the Deloused reissues I may pick it up. I have the original print, but its not something I wouldn't mind having a back-up of

fake

15 Year Member
if I see one of the Deloused reissues I may pick it up. I have the original print, but its not something I wouldn't mind having a back-up of

Huh. Didn't see that one on the list.

Might add Strife's In This Defiance to my list if it's cheap enough.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Get digging-y'all crate diggers, you.

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/2014/0...-of-mixtape-across-north-america-and-the-u-k/
zy7equ4y.jpg

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Get digging-y'all crate diggers, you.

Daaaaamn.

I just picked up a pair of 1200MK2's from a local club, they're filthy as hell on the outside but aside from that they should be easily fixable with some quick repairs/recalibration (at least I hope). I paid like 1/2 what they're worth anyway so it's just a matter of how far ahead I end up on the deal. Ideally if I can get them working well I'll have 2 identical pairs of 1200MK2's, a pair for when I play gigs and a pair to leave set up at home.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
No RSD items for me. Got an Omar Rodriguez-Lopez album at half value and alreadg have a buyer. Otherwise a bunch of cheap 'Yes' albums, King Crimson, and an original "my life in the bush of ghosts" rounded me out. Not a bad haul, and after I sell the one record I spent only $40.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
I did pretty well. I got hosed at the first store at 9AM. So I booked it to the other store that opened at 10AM. Waited in line for 50 mins and got the only copy of Cave In's Jupiter. I went back to the first place after the craziness died down and found Buried Alive. I couldn't find the Circa Survive / Sunny Day Real Estate one at either store. And there were only five copies of Ghostbusters between the two stores, so I didn't get that either. I'm not bummed though - just glad I got Jupiter.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
I got quite a lot of records on RSD. Picked up the Ghost Busters glow in the dark 7'', the Ron Jeremy record, August Burns Red, the side by side 45's (Pantera, Mystery SxS with Rush, Devo, etc), Don't Eat the Yellow Snow 45, The Zombies Oracle and Odyssey, and the Lacuna Coil numbered one (for reselling later down the road). I would've picked up Nick Drake's Pink Moon, but the pink reissue will be the next purchase.

Besides those records, looked online and saw a store selling The Darkness's Permission to Land on picture discs. Picked up two; one for myself and another for a friend.

The Deloused reissue sol out already. Even though it's an "official" reissue, the original is the best looking.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I got quite a lot of records on RSD. Picked up the Ghost Busters glow in the dark 7'', the Ron Jeremy record, August Burns Red, the side by side 45's (Pantera, Mystery SxS with Rush, Devo, etc), Don't Eat the Yellow Snow 45, The Zombies Oracle and Odyssey, and the Lacuna Coil numbered one (for reselling later down the road). I would've picked up Nick Drake's Pink Moon, but the pink reissue will be the next purchase.

Besides those records, looked online and saw a store selling The Darkness's Permission to Land on picture discs. Picked up two; one for myself and another for a friend.

The Deloused reissue sol out already. Even though it's an "official" reissue, the original is the best looking.

Well to add to the mess there may be ANOTHER release of Deloused with a new mix in the near future. The just did a digital release of a remaster of Tremulant.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Well to add to the mess there may be ANOTHER release of Deloused with a new mix in the near future. The just did a digital release of a remaster of Tremulant.

Looks like the gold/silver ones are sold out but you can still pre-order a black copy. I'm taking my chances.

http://www.shopradiocast.com/products/The-Mars-Volta-%2d-De%2dloused-In-The-Comatorium-2XLP.html

I don't know how the hell I miss out on these reissues, but gave into getting a silver vinyl on eBay :/

There's a picture of the gold records on one site. If they had to, Music on Vinyl should've made them better looking. Either way, I'm hoping that it will be better sounding.

Who has heard of Antemasque (new band w/ Omar, Cedric, Flea, and another TMV drummer)? Thoughts?