Record collecting

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Picked up some Metallica this week. All this talk of poor albums made me go buy good ones.

6df832b718e2dc708eb4db50cf109ec1.jpg
Dude, we are so playing these next time I'm at your house. I always wanted to hear how the vinyl sounded.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
So what's so special about the "hot mix" of Led Zeppelin II and why do people pay so much for it (especially a crappy copy)?
Sounds like any other LZII album to me.

Also, I've been dropping off the kids with my B-I-L to go to Syracuse so much that he thought I was making runs to buy crack.

Turns out, he was right, I picked up some CRAC today.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Did some garage sailing today and picked this up for $00.50

This is the second pre-elf dio that I have picked up in the wild.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Doubt I'll sell it. Not sure if I have another copy or not (or if the other copy is a promo).

I don't sell my Dio's. If anything, it will go in my jukebox next to its [much better] Decca Twin:

Anyways, my GF picked these up at a garage sale yesterday:
1984 pressing

1989 pressing

At the same time, I was going through this guy's basement (he has about 30,000) and got this.

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Maybe my hearing just isn't good enough to tell, but is there really any difference between vinyl and a high quality digital recording? I get wanting to collect these for the art/nostalgia but digital has to be better sound-wise right?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
So what's so special about the "hot mix" of Led Zeppelin II and why do people pay so much for it (especially a crappy copy)?
Sounds like any other LZII album to me.

Also, I've been dropping off the kids with my B-I-L to go to Syracuse so much that he thought I was making runs to buy crack.

Turns out, he was right, I picked up some CRAC today.

You pawn your kids off to someone else so you can buy records?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You pawn your kids off to someone else so you can buy records?

It's like going to work. Do you take your kids to work or on sales calls?

I'm going through this guy's basement. He has 30,000 records. He used to buy out warehouses and sell on ebay and shit. But now he is too old. I can't have the 2 year old running around in there. Too many dangerous objects. I sometimes take the infant and a mini playpen.

I make a 4 hour run and pull out about $1200 worth of records for $150 or so (plus $20 in gas and 40 for the sitter).

I generally bring one or both kids when going out. I can handle both of them at garage sales.
But to spend 4 hours in a basement doing nothing but looking at thousands and thousands of records is too much.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Maybe my hearing just isn't good enough to tell, but is there really any difference between vinyl and a high quality digital recording? I get wanting to collect these for the art/nostalgia but digital has to be better sound-wise right?

Only if you have a halfway decent setup, and the vinyl isn't shit quality. Which is a serious problem that plagues a lot of new vinyl releases, especially Rap and Hip Hop re-releases. This is especially important for albums reissued after the year 2000, as that is when they started reissuing a lot of garbage pressings. Before 2000 I tend to have good luck buying blindly unless it's a rap release. I've been burned on so many releases in the past that before I buy any new record I always look it up on discogs and read the user reviews. Each individual pressing has it's own comments section where people review the quality of the record. Here's an example...

Wu Tang Clan 36 Chambers Reissue -- Comments in bottom:
https://www.discogs.com/Wu-Tang-Clan-Enter-The-Wu-Tang-36-Chambers/release/10032606

Some companies these days are widely known for shit pressings, such as 4 Men with Beards. They fuck up everything.

Some are well known and produce consistent quality releases, such as Music on Vinyl, and Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs. MFSL is god tier pressings.

So just have a decent setup, and research before you blow money on a pressing. If you can score a good vintage setup on craigs list you will save a butt-load of cash, else you will have to go more modern, and will have to resort to eBay for used gear or else you will end up spending close to a grand easily.

I researched a few years ago, with help from Neo Ash in the AV thread we have here, and scored my setup for around $800.00. Some used, some new. Picked up a

Marantz PM 5004 Integrated Amplifier
Polk TSX330T Speakers
U-Turn Audio

I'm very happy, and this set will probably last me the rest of my life. Except some day I may upgrade the turntable. It's not the greatest setup, but for a cost to quality ratio it's by far the best experience I have ever had to listen to music.

Also, I meant to mention earlier in this post. Acoustic albums really shine on vinyl. Stuff like Alice in Chains Jar of Flies, Johnny Cash: Live at Folsom Prison, and Beck: One Foot in the Grave sound amazing on vinyl. Highly recommend.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It would take a marvel of engineering mastery to get 36 chambers to properly press to vinyl. It was mixed on cassette.

If you look at Springsteen's Nebraska (which was also recorded and partially mixed on cassette), it took 3 different engineers to get that to press to vinyl. And it doesn't have nearly the bass of 36 Chambers.

So if you want to get a nice analog sound out of 36 chambers, get a really nice copy of the cassette.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It would take a marvel of engineering mastery to get 36 chambers to properly press to vinyl. It was mixed on cassette.

If you look at Springsteen's Nebraska (which was also recorded and partially mixed on cassette), it took 3 different engineers to get that to press to vinyl. And it doesn't have nearly the bass of 36 Chambers.

So if you want to get a nice analog sound out of 36 chambers, get a really nice copy of the cassette.

Do you hump cassette tapes too?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The best sounding record I have is [I shit you not] Harry Chapin: Greatest Stories - Live

I've listened to a lot of records (including NM MFSL and UHQR) and this blows them all away.

I can listen to it through headphones on full volume and not hear any surface noise.

Personally, I think the MFSL stuff is overrated. I think they just play games with the mixing to trick you (such as cranking up ambient sounds and effects).

That being said, I am in the market for a DBX Disc Decoder.

I already have a handful of DBX discs (such as this one[url]) and some classical. I used to have a bunch of rock DBX LP's but I threw them in the $1 bin because they "sounded like shit" (I didn't know you needed a special decoder for them).

Plus, the DBX decoder box will also double for making 10" reel to reel mixes.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Another issue that plagues 36 chambers and a lot of 90's rap releases is that they tried to cram too much music on a single lp.

Prior to 1990, most releases were 45 minutes or less (constrained mostly so they could fit on single LP without too much loss in quality).

Then as Phonodiscs faded, album lengths increased (to about 60 minutes). But for the most part, they kept cramming the whole album onto a single LP as 2xlp's would have been too much $$ for the dwindling market. Sometimes, they would leave off a song or two. The quality of the market didn't mater as much as the audio-conscious market (DJ's and radio) were getting 12" singles

I've got some beautiful looking 90's releases that sound like shit.

Do you hump cassette tapes too?

Cassette tapes is one of the few things I sell online. I have never had a proper cassette tape of 36 chambers. But there is a reason why the original cassette release of the album sells for about the same as the original lp release.

Last edited: