Record collecting

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Any one on here into buying vinyl? If so, what are you're recent gets or wants?

Here's some beauties I got today:
Geinoh Yamashirogumi: Akira Symphonic Suite +
Ecophony Rinne !

geinoh.jpg

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I have a shitload of my dad's old albums and I listen to them every now and again but I can't remember the last time I bought a record (or a CD, or any music for that matter). I use Spotify Premium mostly.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
My collection consists of metallicas S&M concert. need to start buying more. Where did you pick up the akira vinyl?

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
i picked up the Akira vinyl at Turntable Lab in NYC. They said they're gonna have it on their website soon if you're interested.
I gotta say after listening to it on mp3 for years, it sounds pretty glorious coming off the vinyl..

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
i buy vinyl almost weekly as i am in a 5 minute walking distance from a record store. i picked up original mint copies of sabotage and we sold our soul for rock and roll by black sabbath last week and a sealed copy of The Screws "drink till i drop" who were an old punk band from the Richmond area back in the late 80's. two weeks before that i grabbed a copy of diminished responsibility by the UK Subs that was signed by Charlie Harper. was happy to add that one to the collection.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I have a few but wouldn't really call myself a "collector"

I own Tool's Aenima on vinyl, the original volcano pressing still sealed, supposed to be worth a bit. Before anyone screams "bootleg" no, I purchased this back in the 90's .

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I've got around 1000 records, mostly hip-hop and electronic music (house, ghettotech, UK stuff), with some alternative and punk albums in there. I still DJ with vinyl once in a while so it somewhat justifies the collection.

Spoiler:
135265_10152245505332448_131139959_o.jpg

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
I collect 90s jungle/techno and old skool hardcore (not happy hardcore, the good stuff from 91/2/3). Not too sure how many records I've got but must be over 1000 by now. Unfortunately all my wants are ridiculously expensive now, think the vast majority of my wants list on discogs are all in the £50-100 bracket.

These ones in particular, i'd do terrible things to own.
(incidentally, the evil sample in that is apparently from the simpsons, which is just awesome and makes me want it even more)

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
i picked up the Akira vinyl at Turntable Lab in NYC. They said they're gonna have it on their website soon if you're interested.
I gotta say after listening to it on mp3 for years, it sounds pretty glorious coming off the vinyl..

May I ask what you paid for it?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I've got around 1000 records, mostly hip-hop and electronic music (house, ghettotech, UK stuff), with some alternative and punk albums in there. I still DJ with vinyl once in a while so it somewhat justifies the collection.

Spoiler:
135265_10152245505332448_131139959_o.jpg

The few people I've known with collections like that were/are djs.

I have a few albums stored away for no particular reason.

CD booklets are kind of lame compared to a album jacket. You could hang a few jackets on the wall instead of pictures. Do that with cds and everyone has to walk over to see wtf it is.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I wish I had my vinyl collection still, so I could rip them at 24-bit/192kHz and make some FLACs out of them. I just picked up a high end portable music player that can handle those files and they sound AMAZING.

If anyone has a turntable that you can rip to wav at that quality I'll pay you money to rip your stuff for me.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I wish I had my vinyl collection still, so I could rip them at 24-bit/192kHz and make some FLACs out of them. I just picked up a high end portable music player that can handle those files and they sound AMAZING.

If anyone has a turntable that you can rip to wav at that quality I'll pay you money to rip your stuff for me.

what player might I ask?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
what player might I ask?

Fiio X3: linky

What's so cool about them is they have a strong enough output to handle headphones up to 300 ohms, so I can use my AKG 702's on them, but for most listening I use Grado 225i's. Good stuff.

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Unfortunately all my wants are ridiculously expensive now, think the vast majority of my wants list on discogs are all in the £50-100 bracket.

I know that situation all too well.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member

What's so cool about them is they have a strong enough output to handle headphones up to 300 ohms, so I can use my AKG 702's on them, but for most listening I use Grado 225i's. Good stuff.

oh fuck, that x5 is very up my alley....too bad its way out of my budget.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
I own Tool's Aenima on vinyl, the original volcano pressing still sealed, supposed to be worth a bit. Before anyone screams "bootleg" no, I purchased this back in the 90's .

How much is "a bit"?
I think I may have a selaed copy of that sitting around as well.

Not too sure how many records I've got but must be over 1000 by now. Unfortunately all my wants are ridiculously expensive now, think the vast majority of my wants list on discogs are all in the £50-100 bracket.

lol, not to sound like an elitist prick, but but the 50 to 100 bones bracket qualifies as "ridiculously expensive" for you?

That's the entry level price point in vinyle/LP collecting.

Choice shit in the rock/punk/grunge genres range from 500 to 2000 per title.

I collect a bit but seeing as how vinyl is characteristically both in terms of the large size & extreme weight it is best to keep tabs on what you buy selection & condition wise. Being conservative as a whole with vinyle can make you end up with a desirable collection worth thousands to tens of thousands (depending on how far you want to take it).
The reverse end of that is having over a thousand to thousands of albums (taking up prime real estate & weigh a fucking ton) that can be a bitch to move/sell off or that no one wants at all.

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I have a few but wouldn't really call myself a "collector"

depends, whats the label code

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
depends, whats the label code

Just rumaged through the stash.

It appears that I have Opiate (sealed) & the theme colored vinyl of Lateralus (also sealed). either of those worth anything?

I also have the 2 record orange vinyle edition of APC's Emotive (sealed), Beatie Boys body movin' EP, Sublimes theme colored 40 oz to freedom (sealed) & the chemical brother block rockin beats single.

I then have north of 100 tag sale picks from the stones (including the ZJapanese & American releases of "Sticky Fingers" w/ the real zippers), beatles, REM, & others

Thank you for that link.
I am interested in these better media players but so far I have only been exposed to the offerings from Hi-Fi Man & iRivers Astell & Kern line (which starts north of a grand and goes up to about 3 times that for the newest model). That brand you posted offers a nice entry level alternative.

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
lol, not to sound like an elitist prick, but but the 50 to 100 bones bracket qualifies as "ridiculously expensive" for you?

That's the entry level price point in vinyle/LP collecting.

Choice shit in the rock/punk/grunge genres range from 500 to 2000 per title.

I collect a bit but seeing as how vinyl is characteristically both in terms of the large size & extreme weight it is best to keep tabs on what you buy selection & condition wise. Being conservative as a whole with vinyle can make you end up with a desirable collection worth thousands to tens of thousands (depending on how far you want to take it).
The reverse end of that is having over a thousand to thousands of albums (taking up prime real estate & weigh a fucking ton) that can be a bitch to move/sell off or that no one wants at all.

With electronic music, 50 to 100 GBP is actually on the high end. Punk/metal definitely has a much higher price point for choice titles. BTW if you want it in USD that's more like 80 to 160 bucks, usually for a single with maybe 2 or 3 tracks at most on it. Definitely something you have to think about spending, it's not like a 14 track double LP... you're usually buying it for one song.

PS it's vinyl not vinyle

BTW totally agree on selective purchasing. Way too easy to end up with a lot of dead weight. I cap my collection around 1,000 pieces, at this point if I buy a lot I sell about the same number of records that I know I won't play any more.

Last edited:

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
There's a nice little record store that has a lot of punk stuff in PA. It's definitely worth it, especially their .50 cent- $1.00 room. Picked up a live Rush triple album for a buck.

I've been really slow with collecting vinyl over the couple years, but I do plan on getting Nick Drake's Pink Moon (on pink vinyl) for the Lunar eclipse in April.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
oh fuck, that x5 is very up my alley....too bad its way out of my budget.

Looks like overkill, I'll wait for reviews. It's due out next month. Would be cool to have to play DSD files (SACD format) natively, but I don't know if that's worth $350 to me.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
How much is "a bit"?
I think I may have a selaed copy of that sitting around as well.

I have seen them in this condition go for about $700-$800. Might wait until they call it a day, will probably get double for it then.

toolaenima.jpg

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
It appears that I have Opiate (sealed) & the theme colored vinyl of Lateralus (also sealed). either of those worth anything?

I usually check Discogs and cross reference with Popsike to see what a record is currently worth.

my current tastes are also in that $50 - $150 range - aside from reissues - and i've slimmed down my collection to about one full shelf (though i have about 6 or 7 crates i still need to unload)

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
I want Death "The Sound of Perseverance" original press on black vinyl in mint condition.

I have the double LP re-issue.

View attachment 12554

My favorite cart is the Denon DL-110. Nice bang for the buck.