Record collecting

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I like instrumental mostly as I can listen to them while doing other things, but yeah there is a warm fuzzy spot for that kind of stuff. May not be everyone's thing though. A nice big 17 piece band playing some classic American swing, or some jazz is a beautiful thing. I also love all the old B/W cartoons and such from then with the great music.

Kind of unrelated but, along the same lines.
One of my favorites is that Snow White one with Cab Calloway singing and they rotoscoped his dancing for Koko. The music really makes it something.

Anyhow, good stuff from that era.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I like instrumental mostly as I can listen to them while doing other things, but yeah there is a warm fuzzy spot for that kind of stuff. May not be everyone's thing though. A nice big 17 piece band playing some classic American swing, or some jazz is a beautiful thing. I also love all the old B/W cartoons and such from then with the great music.
Who do you like from that era? Any recommendations on comp LPs to look at?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Picked up the Cuphead soundtrack and having a good time listening to that as I've got the digital now that my order shipped.

Though I think if I were playing the game a lot it may get old and not be something I would want to listen to as much. It's a good fun listen though.

Looking forward to getting my filthy paws on the actual physical as I am excited to see it in person. The pictures made it look quite lovely.

https://store.iam8bit.com/collections/vinyl/products/cuphead-4xlp-deluxe-vinyl-soundtrack

View attachment 46605

looks nice, but not for that price from that shit company.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Who do you like from that era? Any recommendations on comp LPs to look at?

Well, as silly as it may sound, don't buy any vinyl unless you get it dirt cheap like at a thrift shop or such. I find quite a bit of stuff that someone's old grandmother had that ended up at Goodwill or a yard sale and can usually buy it for change.

Aside from that when I really want more of someone I'll buy a digital remaster album still usually at a reasonable price.

Here are a few people and some samples. All people that you should find super cheap second hand. Best as I can figure it went like this.

There was so much of it put out back before TV took off big. Then when it did take off there were a lot of musical shows being put on so the stuff all got released again so a lot of it still survives in the wild and most people don't want it. Cheap easy listening.

So when you are out at a sale and you see any of the following for pocket change. All should have some good stuff. Off the top of my head here are some of the bigger names I can remember.

from my previous post, Cab Calloway

Glenn Miller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REDgif1Wc_c

Count Basie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTA3NA0DiOA

Tommy Dorsey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUUmw-idEn0

Duke Ellington

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3LLKLdYJGA

Getting into the 50's I like Bobby Darin

Last edited:

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Need a 78rpm table and a proper needle.

I thought about going down that road of madness. I've seen a few decent used phonographs around and thought.. humm...

Maybe someday, maybe.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I thought about going down that road of madness. I've seen a few decent used phonographs around and thought.. humm...

Maybe someday, maybe.

It's a slippery slope. I've got probably around 500 78s. I try to focus on titles that weren't released (originally) on microgroove records. Big band stuff is so common it's almost worthless; blues, jazz, R&B, etc are much harder to find. Basically anything made by black artists is valuable, white people shit is worthless with a few exceptions.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I've got a Sterling Hank Williams Record (208) that I'm going to be ebaying.

Only expensive 78 I've ever found.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
For those who haven't seen new Data Discs announcement, Data Discs vol 13 METAL SLUG! is going up for pre-order this Saturday! It will be going up to the general public at 19:00UK (11am PST)

Spoiler:

DATA013_Ltd_Ed_1.jpg

They also released a couple tracks off of the upcoming Streets of Rage 3 OST, as well as announced Space Harrier as a future project for early 2018.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I would get Space Harrier and Metal Slug but I wouldn't get SoR3. That soundtrack is just experimental noise.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I would get Space Harrier and Metal Slug but I wouldn't get SoR3. That soundtrack is just experimental noise.

Yea, Sor3 soundtrack is shit compared to 1 and 2. Not worth it.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
im started to cool off on Videogame soundtracks.
Metal Slug im grabbing, but I passed on Contra.

I do wish i grabbed Outrun.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
im started to cool off on Videogame soundtracks.
Metal Slug im grabbing, but I passed on Contra.

I do wish i grabbed Outrun.

Same. Got just about everything in the last couple years. Only listen to a small group of Sega titles. Got Outrun though.

It's just too much. Selling off a handful. Too many tables and releases, it's nuts.

Did get the Akira Symphonic Suite. Shit is dope.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Looks like fangamer is the official distributor for Brain Wave releases in the U.S. & Candia now.
Upcoming titles include Art of Fighting and Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Picked these two up over the weekend. I know there are some Wu fans on the forum, so I thought I'd share. Rare to come across decent hip-hop records in the wild around here. And the 'Mats live double LP is killer.
20171030_201131.jpg

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Thrifted some AOR, Toto's IV, Huey Lewis And The News' S/T and Fore! LP's and a couple of Phil Collins 7"s.

Yacht rock is where it's at.