Record collecting

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Anyone pickup anything good on RSD 2019?

I went to my local shop but did not find the weezer or Green Day albums I was looking for.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Called around to see if anyone was going to have the Baby Shark 7".

No dice. So no bother.

Piccolo_DBz

Astra,
Went to 2 stores up in San Antonio starting at 9am and got everything I wanted. Also escaped from the storm that was heading our way. Had an awesome time!

https://imgur.com/a/3dopOkI

My list is: Woodstock: Green Day, Cheech and Chong Picture Pot Leaf 7inch (Warped!), Weezer Teal album(My main pickup), John Lennon Imagine, Hillbillies in Hell Vol 8 ( I still can't believe they had it) Woodstock, and Green Jelly Cereal Killer!

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I hit up a couple local stores and managed to snag Green Jelly Cereal Killer Soundtrack, the Office Space soundtrack, and the South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut set, which is pretty impressive. Green Jelly sounds great. Office Space is noisy but also filthy. It'll probably do better after a good cleaning. There were a couple titles I couldn't find, but overall I'm pretty happy.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I didn't get a chance to go at all since I'm in Oklahoma this weekend, but none of the exclusives really peaked my interest

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Nothing interested me for RSD. This is the second or third year in a row that I've skipped.

bradtemple87

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I also passed this year after buying a stack last year. I may track down that South Park release.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Nothing interested me for RSD. This is the second or third year in a row that I've skipped.

I hear ya. The Cereal Killer album was a nice release but you can still find the 90's release for a bit less.

I mostly am interested in re-releases that have long been out of print and prohibitive to find. Or 90's releases that never came out on vinyl.

It looks like my dealer had a small amount of unsold stock which sucks. Record store day can make or break a dealer. The lay-out is huge, the margins are low and it sometimes cannibalizes sales of higher margin stuff.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I hear ya. The Cereal Killer album was a nice release but you can still find the 90's release for a bit less.

I mostly am interested in re-releases that have long been out of print and prohibitive to find. Or 90's releases that never came out on vinyl.

It looks like my dealer had a small amount of unsold stock which sucks. Record store day can make or break a dealer. The lay-out is huge, the margins are low and it sometimes cannibalizes sales of higher margin stuff.

Yeah, same - I'm looking for stuff that's never been on vinyl or has been published on vinyl before but is rare / beyond my budget. There used to be plenty of stuff I was interested in. Off the top of my head, At the Drive-In, Every Time I Die, The Receiving End of Sirens, Buried Alive, Cave In, Refused, etc. Seems like the hardcore / post-hardcore labels have kind of drifted away from RSD for some reason.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

I went to my local shop but did not find the weezer or Green Day albums I was looking for.

Not a lot of interesting stuff for me this year:
r1fob3x.jpg

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I got Jerry Garcia Band release of Electric on the Eel. Missed out on Bill Evans and Folk And Pop Sounds Of Sumatra Vol. 2 albums.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I picked up 2 of The Midnight albums when i saw them a few weeks ago. Got "endless summer", and their new album "Kids"

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

If I was around I would have scooped up the Lost in Translation soundtrack. It's been a favorite of mine for a long time. Hopefully a regular repress happens. Not paying those ebay prices and I doubt I'll see it in store as it's a hipster favorite.

I picked up 2 of The Midnight albums when i saw them a few weeks ago. Got "endless summer", and their new album "Kids"

how is the new album?

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
RSD is a scam.

Found Death's Spiritual Healing LP, first press, for 2€ at a thrift store.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
RSD is a scam.

I know, I've been avoiding it for the past 3 years, but fuck I really wanted that record (still do).

I went to my favorite sleepy record store and they told me they put in the max order for Lost in Translation for RSD and got like 1 copy. I'm sure it'll get a wider release, just annoying until then.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Stereolab re-releases are out. Turntable Lab has the goods, if your local shop is sold out.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
CD's have (potentially) better sound quality than vinyl. Vinyl records don't have the dynamic range of CD's. There are some advantages of records- most of them were made before the early 80's (before CD's arrived), so they tend to be mastered well, the artwork is better, and some recordings are only available on vinyl. They don't usually have the "loudness war" problem that a lot of CD's (except classical & jazz) have.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I hate to admit it, but I do agree with Joe8 to a certain extent.

I do think that the audio fidelity of CD's (particularly of digitally recorded music) is vastly underrated.
Of course, Blu-Ray audio is better than CD's.

I still need to get a DBX Disc decoder to see what is possible with Vinyl.

The interesting thing about the "loudness war" is that 10 years prior, the CX format was killed because without the decoder the lower volume parts were "against the intent of the original engineer". So what changed between 1980 and 1990?

And ohh yeah... 1/4" tape is still better than vinyl.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
So anyways, last weekend was a good one for $1 soundtracks.

Picked up the Elm Street Novelty LP (the one with Englund), The Micheal Jackson E.T. Storybook, and a rough shape Meco Star Wars Christmas (the one with Jon Biongiovi). Star Trek movie soundtracks 1-IV and really nice copies of the Jedi and Empire storybooks (with posters)

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I hate to admit it, but I do agree with Joe8 to a certain extent.

My point being that buying music for sound quality is on the level of those obsessive-compulsive audiophiles, who only listen to test cd's and 80's yacht rock on their five figure+ setups.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
True dat.

Also people who buy new releases on vinyl, then "rip" them to a high quality lossless format.
I can almost guarantee that a lossless rip of a CD will be of better fidelity than a "high resolution" vinyl rip of a new release.