Record collecting

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I spent 92 bucks on a 4 vinyl set for SFII The Definitive Soundtrack

http://store.bravewave.net/album/street-fighter-ii-the-definitive-soundtrack

Not as limited as it seems, the producers are hell bent on it not being flipped for more money as they've promised to do 2nd (3rd and 4th if necessary) so it's not limited. Anyway, I got in on the preorder and it should arrive sometime Q1 2016. Been jamming the digital version included with the preorder and it sounds awesome.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Nice packaging, good music, but I don't like the game that much to go that far.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I'll catch the SF2 on one of the subsequent releases probably.

Also fuck Record Store Day.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Also fuck Record Store Day.

yeah, seriously. They rarely have anything I want. ex:

Here's an artist you love ... but these are the songs/album you usually wouldn't buy, 50 dollars please!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
yeah, seriously. They rarely have anything I want. ex:

Here's an artist you love ... but these are the songs/album you usually wouldn't buy, 50 dollars please!

Yeah, or "here's a reissue of an album that:"

A. should have been reissued years ago and will be hoarded by scalpers immediately

or

B. has already been reissued 10 times but this ones a new color! 50 dollars please!

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
+1 on all the RSD stuff, there are stores here that will have the releases still available next day, so even if there's something I am interested in, I don't have to line up outside a store 3 hours in advance. It has gotten crazy with how ridiculous some of the "exclusives" are, especially when it's just a different color. But there are those people who must have everything.

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
its obvious all the major labels are trying to cash in while the vinyl hype is at a high with all these ridiculous colored pressings of things already in print (and do we really need TWO Record Store Days a year? the Black Friday one just seems kinda cheap). basically all these "limited" RSD releases are gonna end up on sale in a couple months and/or filling up dollar bins in coming years...

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
its obvious all the major labels are trying to cash in while the vinyl hype is at a high with all these ridiculous colored pressings of things already in print (and do we really need TWO Record Store Days a year? the Black Friday one just seems kinda cheap). basically all these "limited" RSD releases are gonna end up on sale in a couple months and/or filling up dollar bins in coming years...

The thing that really rubs me the wrong way is that a lot of dealers can end up getting screwed by RSD. They're out the money up front, there are still several stores here that have RSD exclusives from years and years ago. These days they're lucky to break even on them. And really at this point we don't need a day or two to get people going to record stores. Vinyl is already back to some degree, shops are doing better than they have in years and for the most part the only people who know about RSD are already collectors. They don't really need the help of this major label day to draw business to their stores. I'm sure it doesn't hurt in the end, but the labels gain more than the independent stores do. I won't even start it on the flippers.

Support your local indie music shops every week, not just twice a year.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
We don't really have any local record shops here. No record store day here either.

The only thing we have are some thrift stores, those indoor everyday junk markets, and the over priced buy, sell, trade, - movies -music - games, type places. Mostly those are turning into junk stores and pawn shops though.

If there was anything local worth supporting then I would be happy to have a place to support.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I support my local shop.

I go out and bust my ass in barns, basements and freezing cold storage lockers. I listen to widow's tell me stories about how their partner died a tragic death. Then I take it all home and deal with the mold and trash.

Then the shop owner makes his way up where I'm at and buys my 10 copies of Houses of the Holy.

Seriously, how the fuck does Led Zeppelin sell for so much? I scratch my ass and copies of Physical Graffiti fall out. The only one I ever had trouble finding is CODA. Total pain in the ass.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I support my local shop.

I go out and bust my ass in barns, basements and freezing cold storage lockers. I listen to widow's tell me stories about how their partner died a tragic death. Then I take it all home and deal with the mold and trash.

Then the shop owner makes his way up where I'm at and buys my 10 copies of Houses of the Holy.

Seriously, how the fuck does Led Zeppelin sell for so much? I scratch my ass and copies of Physical Graffiti fall out. The only one I ever had trouble finding is CODA. Total pain in the ass.

You really are a fat piece of shit.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
yeah, I buy at local shops and end up spending more rather than buying off Amazon or Urban Outfitters to help support them (no matter how pretentious the clerks are, ugh). That being said, I miss looking for records in NY. The scene in Texas isn't as big. A lot of times I want original pressings. Something more special about old records (in playable condition, of course) that you find. There's a few albums I want that I refuse to buy reissues or cheat with on discogs because of the fun is finding it on your own. I buy some reissues for quality playback or because the records are rare and expensive now or if it's something that's been released in the last 20 years. Something more special about finding old 50s/60s/70s/80s records in a store.

Now I'm not saying there isn't a scene at all in Texas, it just wasn't as unique as NYC in that I would find some mom and pop store that has been there for 40+ years with unorganized records and the smell of dust, mold, and the decay hitting you in the face as you walk in. I'm not even saying popular ones. A lot of places I used to dip into were off the map and nearly untraceable with Google. A lot of fun in that.

Last edited:

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
hey roker, not sure if you ever went to "The Thing" in greenpoint while you were in NY, but yeah - that place (especially the basement) is basically stacks upon stacks of records to the ceiling between layers of mold and dust. its definitely a lot of random shit to dig through, but i've found some some gems sifting through there. love that every record is $2, no matter what it is you find...

willie-burns-sink-the-thing.jpg

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I recently sold a bunch of stuff to the owner of Human Head in Brooklyn.

Anyways, When you are "The Wild" the true goldmine is an old baby-boomer music lover who hated playing records. There are guys out there who would buy a record brand new, record it onto tape (reel or cassette) and neatly put it in storage.

If you can find a guy who did that, you are in luck.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I also just picked up a nice original copy of REM's Monster among others.

Here are the highlights of the haul (290 hand picked records for $300 cash):

Not in Picture: Judas Priest's Painkiller.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
hey roker, not sure if you ever went to "The Thing" in greenpoint while you were in NY, but yeah - that place (especially the basement) is basically stacks upon stacks of records to the ceiling between layers of mold and dust. its definitely a lot of random shit to dig through, but i've found some some gems sifting through there. love that every record is $2, no matter what it is you find...

View attachment 30857

Heard about that place but never made it to it. I lived in more of the South Brooklyn area near Prospect Park. Green Point is way up there and hard to get to. I didn't feel like taking a few train transfers and a bus. I think I'll be in NYC in Jan or Feb, maybe I'll go out there, pick up some rare jazz or soul records. Nothing better than buying stuff based on the cover of an album. I have some cool ones in my collection that I need to take a pic of I bought solely based on the cover.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
I recently sold a bunch of stuff to the owner of Human Head in Brooklyn.

Anyways, When you are "The Wild" the true goldmine is an old baby-boomer music lover who hated playing records. There are guys out there who would buy a record brand new, record it onto tape (reel or cassette) and neatly put it in storage.

If you can find a guy who did that, you are in luck.

As one of my recent first times trying to buy albums on line, I bought some from them. All I can say about that is their idea of condition and my idea of condition was very, very different. Quite disappointed. NM or M- seems to include huge marks scuffs across the picture disc and, well they all were way more shitty than expected. I won't be buying from that shit show again.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
As one of my recent first times trying to buy albums on line, I bought some from them. All I can say about that is their idea of condition and my idea of condition was very, very different. Quite disappointed. NM or M- seems to include huge marks scuffs across the picture disc and, well they all were way more shitty than expected. I won't be buying from that shit show again.

That is why I don't sell LP's online. I want the buyer to know what they are getting. At least perform a visual inspection and if it is at my house, they can test it out. They also have the opportunity to return it if they get home and it sucks. I really don't have the time to listen to all of this (visual inspection isn't all that predictive). If I'm lucky, I can spot check everything over $5. And maybe play through everything $12 and over.

45's on the other hand, I can just rip to my google drive, let the buyer decide if they want it or not. If they get it sounds like shit or doesn't track because their player sucks, then that is on them.

What are you looking for right now anyways?

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Well, mostly I just buy movie soundtracks to shows I like. Aside from that its a pretty random selection of music. I actually have very few records I would say less than 50. Really, I am not much of a collector, but then again there is nothing much to buy around here and I just recently started looking on line for things.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Well, mostly I just buy movie soundtracks to shows I like. Aside from that its a pretty random selection of music. I actually have very few records I would say less than 50. Really, I am not much of a collector, but then again there is nothing much to buy around here and I just recently started looking on line for things.

New or old?

Soundtracks are a mixed bag. Some 80's are plentiful and a lot of older ones are shot to shit. I tend to buy them more for the cover than the actual music (particularly Rocky soundtracks).

I also am trying to fill my 45's jukebox with all songs from music from 80's movies (or later movies with 80's music). A 7" Lindsey Buckingham's Holiday Road (Vacation) is a real bastard to find.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Both newer and old. I mostly am getting them for the art as well, though some of them I have because I like to listen to quite a bit. As it stands now I really have been looking for older stuff more than the newer stuff and putting a higher priority on animated films and fantasy stuff.

I really want the soundtrack for Hawk the Slayer.

I think the best one I've picked up so far was for The Last Unicorn.

I got a stack of 45's that I got when my last Grandparent passed away. Mostly old country stuff, not really listened to any of them yet though. I've seen a couple of jukeboxes come up for sale around here but couldn't justify buying them. Though they looked cool, dealing with the people that had them was what turned me off of buying them. Would be cool to have one someday, but I think you are right in that trying to fill it with the things one would want could be a real pain.