Decent soldering irons...

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I've been using a cheap RadioShack 15w/30w soldering iron (cat# 64-2055A) and solder sucker (cat# 64-2060B) for the last 4 years for small things like CPS2 battery changes and some resistor/fuse repairs on some tv's I'm using and I'm thinking of getting a new one...

I'll be recapping my MVS board and WG-K7000 monitor soon to try and clear a few problems up and thought it may be a good time to upgrade my equipment as well...

Do you guys have any recommendations on soldering equipment? I'm looking to keep it under $100 if possible...

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
My personal choice: Hakko FX-888

It's sub $100, is easy to get replacement tips for. Has the features you'd expect. I've heard the Chinese clones of this product are pretty decent too and use the same tips, but I haven't used any of the knockoffs.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Get something adjustable like a Weller. I currently have a Hakko FX-888D which is the digital one, works great as well. I prefer the tip design of the Hakko over the Wellers. Wellers heat the tip from the outside while the Hakko heats from the core.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I have a Weller WES51 analog soldering iron, it's really nice, I love it. It heats up fast, can do a wide range of temperatures and the iron itself is short which makes work a lot easier than longer irons.

41WVs6AdNqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Hakko Hakko Hakko!

Expensive and worth every penny.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I got the Hakko FX-888D and it has been great. The interface is not that intuitive at first. Make sure you read the manual to learn how to dial in a temperature. I ended up calibrating mine to the wrong temperature by accident and had to do the factory reset. The instructions don't show you how to do the reset, but there is a video showing the steps here. I'm sure my calibration is still off, but I haven't spent the time to recalibrate it.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Alright, seems like the field has been narrowed down to the Hakko FX-888D and the Weller WS51. Seems like most of you have the Hakko...though I do like the part about the Weller being shorter and possibly giving me a bit more control... Tough call.

I may just defer to the majority and go with the Hakko...any specific sized iron tips you guys have in your set ups?? I've just been using one size for a few years...often thought a finer pointed one would come in handy though...

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I have a Weller WES51 analog soldering iron, it's really nice, I love it. It heats up fast, can do a wide range of temperatures and the iron itself is short which makes work a lot easier than longer irons.

41WVs6AdNqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have the exact same one. No complaints. Never used a Hakko so I can't comment on it.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
A 2mm chisel tip should work for almost all your everyday work.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The Weller and Hakko have the same size iron but the one thing I like about the Hakko is that the grip itself is isolated.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Interesting, I'll go with the Hakko then...and a 2mm chisel tip as well too. Xian, any other particular tip you would recommend along with the 2mm chisel tip??

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
This is the one I have.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10707

I didn't get it from Sparkfun though. It's pretty much a rebranded Hakko, from what I understand. Going from Rat Shack soldering irons, this was the best one I got so far. It's lighter that what I'm used to, so with tendinitis, I can last longer doing projects than I would with a basic iron. I use my Rat Shack ones for quick jobs, the station I use for bigger projects.

I've used Weller stations in my electronics classes back in the day. Those were great irons also...I miss using those.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I would go with a temp control Weller as your primary station and this ni cad powered one for quick jobs.

To reiterate the battery powered iron is not a substitute for a soldering station, it is good for quick jobs where using a station would be over kill or bothersome.

7840-0.jpg

If you want a deluxe setup here is something to consider.

bk6000-0.jpg

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Interesting, I'll go with the Hakko then...and a 2mm chisel tip as well too. Xian, any other particular tip you would recommend along with the 2mm chisel tip??

I just use the 2mm chisel tip and a 3mm bevel tip for wave soldering.

Metalslug

Cham Cham's Banana,
20 Year Member
I use a TrakPower TK-950 Soldering Station. My other hobby is RC cars and if this station is good enough for that, its good enough for arcade boards.