RGB NES Thread

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
:lolz: Thanks buddy. Should arrive today... can't wait.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
This thread just makes me wish my Top Loading RGB NES wasn't broken and giving me a Black screen. It was so glorious when it was working lol. NES really look spectacular in RGB .

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I also forgot to post these. Just some pictures of the Twin Famicom I did for Teddy. I figured these would be beneficial for some since there are not a ton of pics of the twin Famicom installs out there.

And also what mod is not complete without...

It arrived, and forgive me for the shit camera phone pics skips as my wife is out and about with the dslr.

I'm pleased in all regards with this build skips. Attention to detail inside was meticulous and I appreciate the care you put into this mod.

The PC-10 color palette blew me out of the water. I don't want to go back to the old palette, but it's nice to know I have the option to do so. For reference, I have this hooked up to my Mini XRGB and one of my office monitors (LG LCD). Also, forgive the weird diagonal interference on the SMB3 blue screen... that's the shit phone, no jailbars in sight. ;)

Gt2l55H.jpg

LPAdAph.jpg

kD92cU6.jpg

Thanks again Skippy!

Bonga7

Zero's Secretary
Would love to get this done on my NES toaster...Unfortunately, I'm all thumbs when it comes to modding and soldering in general. Skips, would you do this mod work for other fellow forum members like me? ( it's up to you if you deem me an established member I guess)

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Would love to get this done on my NES toaster...Unfortunately, I'm all thumbs when it comes to modding and soldering in general. Skips, would you do this mod work for other fellow forum members like me? ( it's up to you if you deem me an established member I guess)

Sadly I am taking a break from modding until end of August/September. I need a break from it.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Sadly I am taking a break from modding until end of August/September. I need a break from it.

Breaks keep you sharp and rekindles passion.

Bonga7

Zero's Secretary

It's alright, I don't have the funds to afford it now anyways. If and when you do resume providing this service again, I get first dibs!

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
The NESRGB kit itself would not do that. It is either a coincidence or the modder did something else while they were in there. Try formatting the SD card and reloading the OS.
your right I figured it out, I guess it was because I upgraded my OS to v11, I downgraded back to v9 and now my FDS roms are playing perfectly fine. It is great that I can finally hear the missing sounds in games like Doki Doki Panic now that I have the expansion sound mod.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
So does anyone currently sell these kits/do these mods or is it basically just a 'look at cool stuff you can't have' situation?

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
your right I figured it out, I guess it was because I upgraded my OS to v11, I downgraded back to v9 and now my FDS roms are playing perfectly fine. It is great that I can finally hear the missing sounds in games like Doki Doki Panic now that I have the expansion sound mod.

Yeah, I think I failed you on the help department on that. Sorry. Was dead tired when I was posting.

I think I may go back to 9 too. 11 made some of the games sound weird for me.

And Yeddy, nice Twin Fami!

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Yeah, I think I failed you on the help department on that. Sorry. Was dead tired when I was posting.

I think I may go back to 9 too. 11 made some of the games sound weird for me.

And Yeddy, nice Twin Fami!
oh hey dude, no problem man. I totally spaced the fact that I upgraded my firmware while my NES was out being modded, so that is what lead me to think it was something caused by the modding.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
V9 firmware on the Everdrive sounds better with expanded audio? I just got an Everdrive and the expanded audio is pretty brutal compared to the originals on fds games. I've got a fds so it's no big deal, but it would be nice if it were better.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
V9 firmware on the Everdrive sounds better with expanded audio? I just got an Everdrive and the expanded audio is pretty brutal compared to the originals on fds games. I've got a fds so it's no big deal, but it would be nice if it were better.

I might just need a better sound source, because doki doki panic sounded weird on 11 than on 9.

Anyway. I really need to invest in a NESRGB, but I've also been following the Universal PPU, too.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member

random question... all my fds titles on my ED are in .fds format and wont play... is there an easy way to convert these to .nes? or is that even what i need to do?

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
random question... all my fds titles on my ED are in .fds format and wont play... is there an easy way to convert these to .nes? or is that even what i need to do?
your EverdriveN8 should play .fds roms, though I had issues with the latest two OS updates, I had to downgrade back to v9. were you getting the err27?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You may need to try different fds roms. They can come with or without headers, this was an issue with the Powerpak and when writing to actual fds disks.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Nice, professional looking job. I go to a meetup of some friends every month and this new guy brought in an RGB modded slim Famicom and a Framemister and I knew I wanted to get one for myself. I'm pretty certain I fucked up my AV Jacks on the sides of my NES because I never used them until a few years ago and trying to get them out was a bitch so I know I pulled on it too hard. So I know I've gotta find out how to fix it. I've never soldered anything before so I guess this'll be something to learn with.

Also, one other NES question. I've read on a few sites that when people are modding their NES's that they'll go in and clip the security chip that might make some games give you the rolling screen. Then I've heard people saying not to do it and all you need to do is make sure your carts and system are clean and you should have any problems. What do you folks think?

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
your EverdriveN8 should play .fds roms, though I had issues with the latest two OS updates, I had to downgrade back to v9. were you getting the err27?

ill look into which OS ive got on my cart and which error i was getting next time i get the chance. also couldnt get a few hacks to work that i was looking forward to playing like kart fighter due to unsupported mappers

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Also, one other NES question. I've read on a few sites that when people are modding their NES's that they'll go in and clip the security chip that might make some games give you the rolling screen. Then I've heard people saying not to do it and all you need to do is make sure your carts and system are clean and you should have any problems. What do you folks think?

Clip it. No matter how clean I kept my carts and connectors, I'd still get the blinks. I'd rather stare at a gray screen than a blinking screen.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
That's how you defeat the region lock. Then you can use the Famicom converter to play all the Famicom games on your NES, with Game Genie if desired.