RGB NES Thread

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
This is going to be the last system I do for a good long time. I've done enough of these mods now that I can say that it is boring as hell now. I included a couple pictures of it running in component video through my capture device as well (click for full view). I also wired up the regulator this time just because why the hell not.

**Updated with better pictures**

Looks very clean bro. Good job. Now, when are you going to do my toaster? Just kidding :glee:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Looks very clean bro. Good job. Now, when are you going to do my toaster? Just kidding :glee:

Ha, this is my last one for a good long while. Ive done so many of these installs for people that I barely got through this one and it was for me.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
What's the best way to get audio from the NES-101 top loader? I'm almost done installing the NESRGB kit with the AV out from Helder. Not sure how to get audio to the AV out. Do I go through the NESRGB or take it directly from the NES?

Last edited:

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
What's the best way to get audio from the NES-101 top loader? I'm almost done installing the NESRGB kit with the AV out from Helder. Not sure how to get audio to the AV out. Do I go through the NESRGB or take it directly from the NES?

It looks like I should wire CPU pin 1 to A and CPU pin 2 to B on the NESRGB. Then run a wire from "O" audio out on NESRGB to pins 11 and 12 on the AV out. Is this correct?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Take a break bro, you're talking to yourself.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It looks like I should wire CPU pin 1 to A and CPU pin 2 to B on the NESRGB. Then run a wire from "O" audio out on NESRGB to pins 11 and 12 on the AV out. Is this correct?

From what I remember you take the expanded audio from a pin on the cart slot and run it to the cap or the point between the two resistors in the audio circuit.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
From what I remember you take the expanded audio from a pin on the cart slot and run it to the cap or the point between the two resistors in the audio circuit.

I was correct about wiring if you want to use the NESRGB's built in audio amplifier (CPU pin 1 to A and CPU pin 2 to B on the NESRGB, O audio out to AV port audio out). I just finished installing everything and it's working great. RGB on a PVM looks crystal clear. The composite out even looks surprisingly good on a small 19" LCD I have.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Ha, this is my last one for a good long while. Ive done so many of these installs for people that I barely got through this one and it was for me.

"WE KNOW YOU'RE HOME, SKIPS! PICK UP THE PHONE, SKIPS!"

Jon

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Some pics of my install:

15235348186_16e12a2dca.jpg

The top of the board seemed too cramped to put the dupont connector for the palette switch so I mounted it under the board. I didn't install a palette switch yet, I just have a jumper installed for the original palette.

Note: The wiring in the picture below going to the AV out cannot be run as shown in the picture. This prevents the top of the case from fitting on correctly. I had to re-route the wires to the other side of the metal heat sink.

15071668780_5b76809677.jpg

15071664489_81aaff6321.jpg

The 3D printed AV out socket from Helder is awesome. The only downside is the color, but I think it could be painted or dyed to match the original grey.

15235348016_7f1e0f86af.jpg

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Been doing a few RGB mods myself on a both styles of NES. I can confirm what Jeffpin says about the 3D printed multi out for the top loader, its amazing.

IMG_5038_zpscdd4ca1d.jpg

IMG_5059_zps127d59dd.jpg

IMG_5048_zpsf0b97627.jpg

IMG_5158_zpsb7430799.jpg

IMG_5160_zpsbe1f556e.jpg

IMG_5163_zps04032a8c.jpg

RGB, s-video, and sound all through the super nes style connector

If anybody needs a mod I'm available

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Looks great, how much do mods usually cost?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Depends on the modder, but the NESRGB kit itself ain't cheap.

Kiel

20 Year Member
Send me a pm if you wanna talk turkey. But yes GohanX is right parts are expensive but it's totally worth it

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Kiel, did you cut the top of the case to fit the wires like that to the AV out? I had to wire around the other side of the heatsink so the wires wouldn't pinch.

Kiel

20 Year Member
Nope no cutting or modification at all. It fits nice and neat

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Nope no cutting or modification at all. It fits nice and neat

Nice, I think I made the mistake of heat shrinking the wires into a bundle in that area, was too thick to fit. If I ever open it back up I will probably cut the shrink tubing off and re-route it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Where do I order the multi out 3D printed part? Am I going to be the first one to color it?

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I got my hands on a AV Famicom modded with the Playchoice RP2C03B PPU for a good price several months ago. I've been really happy with it but the NESRGB board has me intrigued. Besides the different palette options is there any other advantages with the NESRGB kit?

Kiel

20 Year Member
I got my hands on a AV Famicom modded with the Playchoice RP2C03B PPU for a good price several months ago. I've been really happy with it but the NESRGB board has me intrigued. Besides the different palette options is there any other advantages with the NESRGB kit?

A few things. There is a complete lack of any jailbars (that I have seen), s video, and IMO better sound. Hi IG buddy.

Also on a shitty note it looks as if the 3D panels are not going to be made anymore.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
A few things. There is a complete lack of any jailbars (that I have seen), s video, and IMO better sound. Hi IG buddy.

IG buddies FTW. :D I really need to get my hands on one of these to compare. It really looks like a great piece of kit. I haven't had any problems with jail bars on my PVM, but I hear your mileage may vary depending on your display.

Kiel

20 Year Member
IG buddies FTW. :D I really need to get my hands on one of these to compare. It really looks like a great piece of kit. I haven't had any problems with jail bars on my PVM, but I hear your mileage may vary depending on your display.

My personal nes is a playchoice ppu modded unit and jailbar are very faint on my PVM but horrible on my xrgb3. I haven't wrapped the ppu in copper tape it that might help in my situation. Av famicoms are also supposed to suffer less problems with jailbars.

Kiel

20 Year Member
Re posted from the clean mod work thread but I figured it'd get more traffic here.

RGB modded a Twin Famicom last night. Re-purposed the external RF out into an AV out. Made for a super clean install that you wouldn't even know was there if it weren't for the PPU missing on the top of the board.

IMG_5238_zps76047356.jpg

IMG_5243_zps87c7e95f.jpg

IMG_5244_zps364314bd.jpg