PC Engine handheld

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
Hi,

Its almost a no brainer if you want to stick with original games over the ever drive, for the sheer library you should go for the GT.

Judging also by your avatar, you are a Splatterhouse fan and I think the US version is slightly edited.

You can get a convertor that will allow you to run Jpn Hu Cards on the express, but these are are costly ( £70+) and will stick out the top a bit. On the flip side, I have not seen a convertor that allows you to play Turbochip games on a Jpn unit.

Both units will run from an adapter (7.5V should be fine), a cheap masterplug one from Argos will suffice.

£85 is bargainous for a unit, well done to the user who grabbed that.

Play one first before you jump in, the screen was great for the time, but if you own a modern handheld you might not like it.

Oh and there is a cool Turbo Express cameo in the film Enemy of the State:lolz:

Wookiemeat

Super Spy Agent
20 Year Member
Hi,

Its almost a no brainer if you want to stick with original games over the ever drive, for the sheer library you should go for the GT.

Judging also by your avatar, you are a Splatterhouse fan and I think the US version is slightly edited.

You can get a convertor that will allow you to run Jpn Hu Cards on the express, but these are are costly ( £70+) and will stick out the top a bit. On the flip side, I have not seen a convertor that allows you to play Turbochip games on a Jpn unit.

Both units will run from an adapter (7.5V should be fine), a cheap masterplug one from Argos will suffice.

£85 is bargainous for a unit, well done to the user who grabbed that.

Play one first before you jump in, the screen was great for the time, but if you own a modern handheld you might not like it.

Oh and there is a cool Turbo Express cameo in the film Enemy of the State:lolz:

Think the stall was "Gear for Games" he was selling a few!

GT for £99 got him down to £85
TE for £90

There was no packaging they were in freezer bags :) :)

Good condition though with all new caps so u can't moan!

Last edited:

DeusVult

Another Striker
I got a TE for £90 and it has been recapped, iam only going to start with a few games and see if I like it...splatterhouse, mr heli, ninja spirits are first on my list....any other suggestions for must have games..

iam also going to keep and eye out for a power supply.

when running it from battery power how long will it last?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I got a TE for £90 and it has been recapped, iam only going to start with a few games and see if I like it...splatterhouse, mr heli, ninja spirits are first on my list....any other suggestions for must have games..

iam also going to keep and eye out for a power supply.

when running it from battery power how long will it last?

couple of hours tops on batteries from memory, though I might be getting that confused with the game gear, it might actually be less

DeusVult

Another Striker
couple of hours tops on batteries from memory, though I might be getting that confused with the game gear, it might actually be less

cheers, sounds like I need to stock up on the batteries :( ill get a power supply for home use but I like to take them on holiday to pass the travel time

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
cheers, sounds like I need to stock up on the batteries :( ill get a power supply for home use but I like to take them on holiday to pass the travel time

Yeah bring a crap load of them. I tested mine and it lasted about 2.5hours tops if that lol. I didn't have much money so I opted and got a turbo everdrive best thing for when you travel a lot.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I found my TE's and I'm contacting Turboken about them. I have a bunch of TG-16 games but I can't wait for my Everdrive to arrive so I can sample the Japanese games!

@DeusVult I really enjoy Splatterhouse despite it being edited (US). I thought the Japanese version was too but I'm off to search.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Yeah bring a crap load of them. I tested mine and it lasted about 2.5hours tops if that lol. I didn't have much money so I opted and got a turbo everdrive best thing for when you travel a lot.

No kidding. The weight of the batteries needed to play it for a day is probably more than that of the handheld.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
No kidding. The weight of the batteries needed to play it for a day is probably more than that of the handheld.

Hahahah exactly. Idk why but this thread got me wanting to play my te again so I dusted it off shoved 6double A batteries in it and remembered why I got it in the first place amazing library lol.

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
Congrats on the purchase and a great price too!

2 of my favourites are:
- Devil's Crush which is an awesome, slightly satanic pinball game, with (sort of) boss fights.
- Dragon's Curse, which is the same game as the Sega Master System Wonderboy 3: Dragon's Trap with a few name changes.

Ninja Spirit is pricey as a Jpn Hu Card, not sure about the Turbochip equivalent though.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
This thread was so on time for me! When I checked my TE's before sending them, one had lost it's sound but played games and the other had no sound or picture. They both worked fine a year ago. The cap replacement should fix them both. I also opted to have both screens replaced with 2.5" lcds:buttrock: I saw pictures of the 2.5 and 3.5 screens available. I liked the idea of 3.5" screen but felt it altered the look of the TE too much.

Now the waiting begins but the end result will be so worth it!

- Devil's Crush which is an awesome, slightly satanic pinball game, with (sort of) boss fights.

Great game!

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Hahahah exactly. Idk why but this thread got me wanting to play my te again so I dusted it off shoved 6double A batteries in it and remembered why I got it in the first place amazing library lol.

I got mine with the cap change already, the sound is loud and clear.

Last edited:

DeusVult

Another Striker
I used to have a pc engine a long time ago, was a fantastic machine for its time. that's why I bought the handheld problem is all my games where Japanese so I don't actually know the names of all the games I liked :(

don't want to go of topic but if the old magic is still there how easy is it to get a turbografx-16 rgb modded?

also I got splatterhouse and ninja spirit now i need to wait till they all arrive

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
A question for those a little more tech savvy than I, is this ac adapter usuable for a TE?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290372977132?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

You need a smaller connector. I'll get the dimensions later
Voltage wise and amp wise the aftermarket one I have is identical to the one you posted. The tip for the psu measured is 3.5mm outter and 1.55mm inner on the one I use.
This is what mine came with
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Archer-Universal-AC-Adapter-No-273-1655-OUTPUT-6-7-5VDC-700mA-/181244490584

Last edited:

DeusVult

Another Striker
yeah, ill have another look but I think this could be the one, good price also

DeusVult

Another Striker
okay I think we have a winner, this one will do nicely, cheers for the links

I got my TE the other day, pretty big and heavy with the batteries in but feels and looks good, no games yet :( , but they are on the way hopefully here soon.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
okay I think we have a winner, this one will do nicely, cheers for the links

I got my TE the other day, pretty big and heavy with the batteries in but feels and looks good, no games yet :( , but they are on the way hopefully here soon.
Congrats if you need a turbo everdrive try here.
http://www.retrogate.com