PC Engine handheld

DeusVult

Another Striker
iam thinking of trying to get a pc engine handheld. is there any benefits to either the GT or TurboExpress version?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
iam thinking of trying to get a pc engine handheld. is there any benefits to either the GT or TurboExpress version?

what region do you want to play in?

the gt is all the pc engine stuff. better availability, total amount, and affordability of the games.

the express is the tg16 version. everything is more expensive and the overall library is much more limited, however everything is in english.

it makes no difference if you want to region mod the machine or play it with an everdrive.

DeusVult

Another Striker
I guess having more games available and are better priced I think the gt sounds like the best one to get..

whats an everdrive?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
A format that lets you load roms from the HuCard.
Flash memory.

pretty much.

it lets you mount an sd card full of games onto a hucard. that way you basically have the whole library on one card.

Turbo%20Grafx-360x300.jpg

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Get one, they rock! Just anticipate having to replace the caps so don't be afraid to buy one that has sound problems. I'd recommend going for a gt because you cant really read text on the screen anyways and JP games are usually cheaper. Contact Turbokon on the pcenginefx forums if you need it recapped, region and screen modded, he's the man!

Hans Grösse

Banned
I miss my Turbo Express!!! A Buddy of mine stole it from me (Not much of a friend), when I tried to get it back he said he lost it. I take comfort that he is dead now, good riddance.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I got it for Christmas towards the end of the Turbo's life here in the states. Back when I got it they had an offer if you bought the Turbo Express you sent in the warranty card and you could select up to six games. Granted they where first generation titles but you got a good mix of sports, action and racing games. Only problem was they where limited on the games they had. I asked for Vigilante since I loved the arcade game and they ended up sending me Power Golf...woopty shit.

The only thing keeping me from getting the screen replaced is the thing is a AA Battery hog, even worse then the Sega Game Gear. That and it's really bulky. Now I have a GCW Zero that I can fill up with emulators and also save states, which sucks because games like Parasol Stars can't be saved so good luck trying to run through all of that on the life of the batteries.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Be sure to pick up a power adapter for it. It drains batteries quickly.

DeusVult

Another Striker
iam looking to play some of the games I remember when I had a pc engine....splatterhouse, ninja spirits, tennis and baseball, plus a r-type etc but iam not sure about shmups on a small screen

DeusVult

Another Striker
not blind just yet, I would get rytpe anyway for old times sake

what is a reasonable price to pay for one, gt or express?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Cough, cough...not a handheld. If you actually plan on playing a PCE LT using the onboard buttons and control pad, you're an idiot. It has a controller port right on the front of the system so you can play it how it was meant to be played.

Jon

Well, no. It wasn't a serious suggestion - as a handheld it is pretty useless as it doesn't have the option of batteries so it's portability is limited, but that's what makes it unsuitable as a handheld, not the built in controller, which is every bit as usable as a pad. Considering the screen is the size of a gnat's cock why would you want to sit a controller cable's length away?

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Well, no. It wasn't a serious suggestion - as a handheld it is pretty useless as it doesn't have the option of batteries so it's portability is limited, but that's what makes it unsuitable as a handheld, not the built in controller, which is every bit as usable as a pad. Considering the screen is the size of a gnat's cock why would you want to sit a controller cable's length away?

You wouldn't sit that far away. You're supposed to have it on a desk or table right in front of you so you can see what's going on. Just because the controller's cord is 4-5 ft. long doesn't mean you have play it at that length. The buttons on the actual system should only be used to change channels when you could, can't anymore because most TV stations have switched from analog signal to digital, watch TV on the system. Plus, if you did decide to use it as a handheld, you risk accidentally pulling out the AC cord.

LOL, just tried playing mine this way...heaviest handheld ever.

Also, I have to LOL at you posting a thread from over 2 years ago still trying to sell your LT for 500 pounds.

Jon

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Only shooter I had a problem with was Air Zonk. When you get the item that shrinks Zonk it makes him hard to see. Other then that everything plays great on it. (Except for not being able to save progress in games)

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
The screen is ok on the GT, although sometimes text is hard to read, I think that there is some compression done that nicks some of the scanlines.

It's been a while since I played on mine, I've been meaning to play it because the last time I did use it, it took an age for the screen to come to life.

With that said, I got an LT last year / year before and I have to say that I would take an LT over a GT, any day.

Of course the cost is an issue, you'll pay a hell of a lot more for it, but let's face it;

The GT won't be used on the move as such - batteries and lugging the thing around.

If it's a home based portable, go the full hog and get a bigger screen and a means to play two player with style with an LT.

The screen is much better on an LT, and if you have a (working) CD Rom you get a flippin Boss set up.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Turbo Express: If you want to play games in english.

GT: If you want bigger library.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Contact Turbokon on the pcenginefx forums if you need it recapped, region and screen modded, he's the man!

How much do you think it would cost?

I'm awaiting approval at the forums to get an exact quote but I'm curious.