The need for speed ups

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Do you generally prefer shooters with or without the ability to speed up your craft? Does it affect your enjoyment of the game?

Personally, I prefer games that start you out with a ship that moves at a reasonable, balanced speed without the option to speed it up. When you die, you are not stuck with an under-powered slug. It reduces frustration and the temptation to reset and start over. I realized that most of my favorite shooters have no speed up option and was wondering what the general consensus is.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Usually when given the option I only choose speed level 2. If it doesn't offer speed options then I just play it how they wanted it.

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
I think it really depends on the game:

I've always been a fan of "built-in" speed reducers (i.e. button hold shots) for bullet-hell type games. That way you can pick a ship you like the base speed of and get slow for slight dodges (or grazing) fairly quick. Other means, like button presses ala Pink Sweets, feel like just a pain for the most part. I usually just stick to a single middle speed because of it.

For Gradius-type games...I think it would just be too easy if you didn't have to waste a power-up or two on being mobile. Though I always hate when I level up my speed too much. :(

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
On the SNES where early shooters are plagued by slowdown, getting a few speedup boosts will make the action a lot smoother.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
On the SNES where early shooters are plagued by slowdown, getting a few speedup boosts will make the action a lot smoother.
lol shooters on SNES why bother playing those

For console games I like when you can change your speed. For arcade I like speed power ups you can pick up, in fact that adds to the challange to many if you are already fast enough and you have to avoid the power ups as an obstacle in the level. I don't really care for Gradius games that start you off so slow till you get a power up.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

The old "plagued by slowdown" line. I want to meet the guy in the late nineties from gamefaqs that coined that "plagued by slowdown" line. More like blessed by slowdown.

lol shooters on SNES why bother playing those

I know right. You got guys everywhere on the internet who don't know much about shooting games telling you not to play SNES ones. Why would anyone bother?

Anyways, I generally prefer not to play maxed out on speed ups, but for many older titles, the developers intended you to do so. I.E. score bonuses for additional speed ups in older Toaplan games etc.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I like having the option, like in the Soldier series, or having some way of slowing down like most Cave games. I don't really like the Gradius style speed power up.

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
Really depends on the game and how it's designed. Last Resort's Speed Ups and Speed Downs couldn't have been placed any better imo. But then you have Salamander 2 where the game becomes a giant Speed Up minefield, and dodging them becomes the main challenge of the game...

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I agree with the "speedup minefield" comment, it could be said that it's part of the challenge in a game like Gradius, but I'm not such a fan.

I find the the speedup system in a game like Truxton/Tatsujin very compelling where speedups are more rare and are essential to survival. Every death in Tatsujin hurts, and the pressure not to die and retain your speed keeps tensions high.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I know right. You got guys everywhere on the internet who don't know much about shooting games telling you not to play SNES ones. Why would anyone bother?

Thanks to those guys, shooters on SNES remain affordable.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
the faster the better.

free love!

-D-

Zero's Secretary
I like the Gradius series, but I don't really appreciate how the games always start you way too slow. But I also dislike the fastest speed, usually I like one or two notches down from the highest speed in most shmups. Usually stick to about the center speed in Compile games.

I also dig the speed reduction features in some of the bullethells, use it a lot. I prefer the game to run that way than to start you slow with speed-up powerups.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Not a big fan of speedups, in general the game has to be balanced around them and dying can have too strict of a penalty in later levels. There are games that handle it well, but on the whole I'd rather just have one speed or adjustable fast/slow with a hold shot button or something like mentioned previously.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
"Speedup minefield" reminds me of a certain boss in SNES Super R-Type, that bombards you with powerups while flying through a wall maze.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Un Squadron
Gradius
Parodius
Darius Twin
Axelay
Starfox

There are a few good ones on there

Super Aleste, R-Type III and Super SWIV too.

-

Concerning in-game speed ups...

Personally, I don't mind them, but I mostly like the system in certain titles where you can change the speed manually/incrementally. For example, I think, in Thunderforce IV or V...(?!) you can change between 25%, 50%, 75% & 100% via a button press. However, if you held down the button (for example, at 25%) you can incrementally creep that percentage up until you're happy (i.e. to 33% etc).

If it wasn't either of those games... then I apologise :eek_2:

Last edited: