Assassin's Creed: Unity (PS4/XBone/PC)

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
A new year, a new Assassin's Creed. This one is set in Paris during the French Revolution. Release date is set for this holiday (probably sometime in November as usual). This will also be a current gen-only release, PS4/XBone/PC.

Personally, after playing through ACIII and ACIV the past couple years I may skip this one.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
A new year, a new Assassin's Creed. This one is set in Paris during the French Revolution. Release date is set for this holiday (probably sometime in November as usual). This will also be a current gen-only release, PS4/XBone/PC.

Personally, after playing through ACIII and ACIV the past couple years I may skip this one.

While I won't flat out skip it, I may wait on it. The time period doesn't interest me that much, and I'm not really sure how setting it during the French Revolution will offer them many opportunities to change up the gameplay significantly the way they did in AC 4. It's not like you can sail ships or go whaling or wreck diving. What gameplay nuances, specific to the time period and environment, can they possibly add?

I'd have much rather played another entry in the Edward Kenway saga. Or maybe even a game starring Haytham? That could have been cool.

I think they should have gone with a more radical departure if they were going to change it up. They should have done vikings. Longboat raiding in england and viking intrigues could have been really cool.

I love this IP but this isn't really doing it for me.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
im hearing reports there is a separate AC game to be announced that runs on 360/PS3/Possibly Wii-U to coincide

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
I really enjoyed Black Flag and it had some really good longevity to it even though collecting all the chests and animus fragments got tedious at times.

The French Revolution setting for me does not entice as much as I would like but if it's as good as ACIV or better I will be buying it.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Spoiler:
s1UFPMf.jpg

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
It looks gorgeous, but I'm with Taiso; what can they possibly do in this setting that will be fresh? I think part of it - in keeping with the annual release schedule - is going with what they know architecturally. Much of what's been done in the past can be translated into this setting; the architecture, city layout, shop types and crowd style. I remember reading dev notes about AC2 having copious amounts of research done in Italy to recreate that setting, feel and culture, I don't think this game would be able to make it out this year if the setting was something they weren't already familiar with; places Japan, China, Mongolia, etc., would involve to much research and asset creation from scratch.
Based on this sneak peak, Unity is looking like a step backwards in terms of game play innovation, but with a fresh coat of paint; AC4 spoiled me with the ships to be honest.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I just wish other developers would take note that games can be set in distinct historical time periods and be successful if the gameplay is good.

A game set in the French revolution sounds amazing...if it wasn't Assassin's Creed.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Every game in this entire series is fucking terrible. I hope Ubishit Montreal goes bankrupt.

True story.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Hopefully we're getting one installment closer to this franchise's death.

Magician

20 Year Member
Bump

After watching some live streams I decided to buy Unity. I'll be playing this after work tomorrow. What can I say? I've always enjoyed this series.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I've pre-ordered both Unity and Rogue. Lots of stabby action ahead for me.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Any tall ships combat? For me, it was the saving grace of Black Flag.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Any tall ships combat? For me, it was the saving grace of Black Flag.

Rogue seems to be more what you're looking for. It has a very similar feel to Black Flag in terms of navigation and ship combat.

Magician

20 Year Member
Ooh hoo!

I see you bought Unity, Taiso.

We should play some co-op and have the good times.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Ooh hoo!

I see you bought Unity, Taiso.

We should play some co-op and have the good times.

Once I get my feet wet in the game and I understand all the mechanics and modifications to the gameplay, sure. I'd be totally down for it.

My nephew also got the game and he's a pretty dedicated gamer, so right there we have three people.

Magician

20 Year Member
Once I get my feet wet in the game and I understand all the mechanics and modifications to the gameplay, sure. I'd be totally down for it.

My nephew also got the game and he's a pretty dedicated gamer, so right there we have three people.

Agreed. I see that there's a new skill system. But at a glance it only appears to be all the previously available assassin skills only they're locked behind playtime. Would you like to kill two enemies, in close proximity to each other, at once? Yes, but I could do that from the start of AC games since ACIII. Now that ability is a midgame unlockable skill? -barf-

Atleast the avatar and weapon loadout options appear to have alot of variety.

I hope I can rock a polearm for my primary weapon instead of a sword. We'll see.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
It's irritating that almost everyone in this game speaks with a British accent.

The game takes place in France and all of the characters are French.

For a series like Assassin's Creed, which likes to use history as the backbone of its narrative concepts, this seems like a strangely incongruous choice.

Especially considering Ubisoft is a French company.

Marek

Banned
Does hand to hand combat still suck ass or have they done something?

Asscreed 2 was like GTA bad in that dept. Last asscreed I played, admittedly.

Marek

Banned
Just read all about the microtransactions and required mobile app for this game.

It seems like every bad modern game concept was shoehorned into this one...

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Just read all about the microtransactions and required mobile app for this game.

It seems like every bad modern game concept was shoehorned into this one...

I haven't seen anywhere that it states that a mobile app is required.

Yeah, there is a mobile app that you can use to unlock more optional stuff, but I don't think you need the Unity Companion to play the game.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
How are you guys enjoying your sub-30 fps, 3rd world console experience?
:lol:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Sexless Insecure troglodyte
Has an awesome pc rig though!