2 player shooters

contrafan

n00b
OK, sorry. Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's gotten them mixed up :)

I always figured besides being considered run-n-gun, games like Contra are also like side-scrolling shoot-em-ups. But meh.

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
2 player Battle Squadron on Megadrive/Genesis is one I have fond memories of.

Strangely I thought of Contra too, possibly because I associate 2 player shooters as co-op.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
R-Type Leo
Cotton Boomerang
Gradius V
Blazing Star
Under Defeat
Batsugun
Gunbird 2
Air Buster
Deathsmiles
Gokujō Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack
Dragon Blaze

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Last Resort, Gunbird 2 and Gigawing 2 have always been my favorite 2P shooters.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
There are a few "run and gun" games that I'd say can enter shmupish territory, like Gunsmoke and Commando.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
There are a few "run and gun" games that I'd say can enter shmupish territory, like Gunsmoke and Commando.
What about Wolf Fang?

I have SS on the Saturn and it makes a great 2P experience > 1P... but it's quite a hard title to define re: genre.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Darius Gaiden and Layer Section/Galactic Attack (PCB or Saturn)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Pink Sweets
Mars Matrix
Giga Wing

All these games can be so easy with 2 players alternating regeneration bombs, I mean woo so easy! Pink sweets it's gonna be tough but in a good way.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Fixeight y'all! After all what's better than two bodybuilder chicks making sweet love.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
This is just turning into a list of shmups. Other than Change Air Blade, Giga Wing and TSS; I don't think any of the titles mentioned here are better with multiple players.

Many of the games listed would either become laughably easy or would completely break the scoring mechanics which is where much of the charm is.

Loris Biaggi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I usually hate playing shmups with a second player, but i played Alpha Mission 2 with a friend a couple of months ago and we really enjoyed it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
If 2 players actually coordinate everything well ie: Bombs, power-ups, attacks, defense, etc. The game changes completely as a cooperative game.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
For playing verts with two players, I prefer ones where the screen doesn't scroll left/right with player movement. Try some Psikyo.

Also see Gigawing for some real cooperation-style coop shooting. Run those reflect barriers tag-team style, covering your buddy while they recharge.
Add Vasara to my list. You can tag-team the charge up attacks to alternate bullet cancels, and there is no left/right scrolling to mess up the other player's dodging.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
This is just turning into a list of shmups. Other than Change Air Blade, Giga Wing and TSS; I don't think any of the titles mentioned here are better with multiple players.

What does Giga Wing offer 2 player vs 1 player? Ranking is the same, enemies are the same, individual scoring. If it's because of Reflect Force, that's pretty damn weak.

Toss TSS aside and lets talk straight shooter for a moment.

How many shooters have separate scoring tables, increased enemies and ranking, and a combined single score for 2 player mode?

Otherwise it is just a list of shmups and the point is cooperatively 1ccing the game.

Last edited:

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Gradius Gaiden
Gradius V
Life Force/Salamander
Crisis Force
Andro Dunos
Firepower 2000
Darius Twin
Aerofighters
Raiden

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
I like to play those games in 2-player-mode, where the last level starts from the beginning if you fail battling the endboss, like all the SSV games (Vasara, Stormblade, etc.) With 2 players its more easy to see the end of the game

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
My vote would be Outzone and Tatsujin oh (truxton 2). Very difficult solo, but very manic and fun playing in 2 player mode.