2 player shooters

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Educate me: What are the best co-op/2 player shooters. System doesn't matter...

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
as much as I hate to list it.... Ikaruga. the polarity mechanics create a very interesting co-op experience. I wouldn't even rank it in my top 10 of all time for singleplayer, but imo it's the best co-op shmup.

dogyuun has a fun co-op mode where you combine both ships into a super ship.

gigawing 2 has an awesome four-player mode... which is rare to find in the genre with the exception of something like jamestown.

Last edited:

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Does Twinkle Star Sprites count? Its damn fun with 2 players.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
I'd say yes, and twinkle star sprites is an awesome suggestion.

still haven't played zero gunner 2 yet (I just got into psikyo with a strikers 1999 board), but I plan on checking it out soon.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Change Air Blade, the best (only) versus tate shmup ever. Seriously though, against human opponents I see this one being a gem.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
RAIDEN II & DX.

Also the RAIDEN FIGHTERS and VIPER.

---

And the STRIKERS are fun too.

Last edited:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
For playing verts with two players, I prefer ones where the screen doesn't scroll left/right with player movement. Try some Psikyo.

Also see Gigawing for some real cooperation-style coop shooting. Run those reflect barriers tag-team style, covering your buddy while they recharge.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Good call Jeneki! Fighting with side to side screen movement is a bitch. Agree that gigawing reflect mechanics would be a lot of fun alternating with a buddy. Imho cave games generally don't lend themselves to coop very well due to complex scoring mechanics, but I see how ignoring that in something like DDP would still be a riot just due to the sheer firepower.

I'll have to try some coop Dimahoo next time I have company, I don't even recall if the items sets are shared but I'm guessing they would be. maybe one player could go after low numbers while the other went after high.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I feel like 2 player 1943 is more satisfying than 1P mode. You can plan out your items and the game gets pretty hectic in the later stages when you both have to stay alive.

Twinkle Star Sprites, as mentioned, is probably the best choice here.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Oh yeah. One player gets the bullet canceling shotgun, and the other gets something high powered to tear through the sturdier enemies.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Oh yeah. One player gets the bullet canceling shotgun, and the other gets something high powered to tear through the sturdier enemies.

Shotgun really shines in 2P mode, good point. When one player can get laser and the other shogtun = :buttrock:

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I like checkpoint hori shooters best for 2 player, then you can see who gets further along rather than two people just credit feeding to the end of a game

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
Dogosoken/Victory Road. 1 player takes the sword for defense, the other uses the rockets to blow shit up.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Silkworm on the Amiga (and arcade im guessing). One player controlls the chooper, the other controls the Jeep

SWIV as well

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
137509053.jpg

as a bonus it can go to 4p.

Just splurged for Twinkle Star Sprites on MVS cart. I've never played anything like it!!! I don't know what my expectations really were when I purchased it, but it's definitely exceeded them!!! My girlfriend is even getting into it.

contrafan

n00b
Maybe anybody else has a soft spot for the series that my username refers to? :)

Simultaneous 2 player gameplay in a side-scrolling, intense shoot-em-up. Definitely the classic way to go is Contra/Super Contra on NES. But Contra: Hard Corps (Genesis) or Contra III (SNES) may be up your alley.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Maybe anybody else has a soft spot for the series that my username refers to? :)

Simultaneous 2 player gameplay in a side-scrolling, intense shoot-em-up. Definitely the classic way to go is Contra/Super Contra on NES. But Contra: Hard Corps (Genesis) or Contra III (SNES) may be up your alley.

that would be a run n gun. not a shooter like they are talking about here.