Best KOF Game to start out with

Hide

Banned
Yeah, I'd definitely start with 96, play it for a while, go on to 97 just for a playthrough then settle on 98, because it's the version that's most likely to be played and re-released in the future.

Go back to 94 and 95 for kicks after you've been playing 98 for a while. 99-2002 are decent, but outside of 2000, they lack the polish. Here's my quick summation of the series:

94 is very slow paced and hard to control. Graphics and sound are great, however.
95 fairs a little better in speed and control. It really feels like a better version of 94, overall.
96 has really tight control, albeit unforgiving. Aesthetics are all there, too. A great starter.
97 takes a considerable nose dive in gameplay. Lots of inconsistencies and hitbox issues. Aesthetics suffer quite a bit too.
98 rights what 97 wronged while both speeding up and tightening up the gameplay. Really great aesthetic choices. It FEELS like you're playing a classic.
99 is lacking in gameplay, lots of weird glitches and hitbox things going on
2000 is polished all around, a great game
2001 is lacking in aesthetics and graphics overall, but the gameplay is fairly solid. Calling in strikers is emphasized here but can be ignored.
2002 is probably the best KOF gameplay wise, but it's also lacking in graphics and sound.
2003 fairs about the same as 1999.

I agree with this guy.
Take his opinion on the series.

In short, my all time favourites are 95 and 98.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Why not start at the beginning?

Yup. I think it's essential to play them in chronological order if you really want to "get" what KoF was/is all about.

The KoFs I still play the most are 95, 97 and 2k1. Specially 95 is the epitome of KoF for me. Tough, fast, wonderful graphics and sound and great roster.

The KoFs are like a buffet with a large variety of tasty food. Yeah, you can stick to ham and cheese only but you'll be missing out on lots of the good stuff if you do. :)

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I think all the KOF games are quite good, haven't really played enough of them all, to make a good comparision. Whether there is one entry that stands head and shoulders above the rest, is debatable.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Start with 94' then work your way up chronologically to 2003. You'll appreciate the evolution of the kof series that way.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Start with 94' then work your way up chronologically to 2003. You'll appreciate the evolution of the kof series that way.
You might find the plot hard to follow, if you just read the translated endings (Engrish). Perhaps there are decent explanations of the plot available on the web.