PCE controller turbo feature

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
When playing shooters on the PCE, how often do you use the turbo feature? Would you still play them if you didn't have that option? Or is it a must have?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I don't use it all, most shooties have autofire on anyway. R-Type is non autofire friendly.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
For the most part I wouldn't use turbo, as I consider that cheating. But seeing as how the system has turbo on it's stock controllers I'll use it if it's advantageous, but on most PCE shooters it's not. Super Star Solder is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head, as it gives a slightly better rate of fire with turbos on as opposed to just holding down the button.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm all about the turboz if it's faster firing vs just holding down the button.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I was asking because I was thinking about building my own stick for the PCE. I've been talking to El Flavor Lemon about a little circuit & cable action, but he hasn't mastered the "turbo feature" aspect. I use that feature here and there and always just thought I was being lazy.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Would a pad havk suffice? Just like wiring the sticks and buttons, you will need to add two switches and a few extra wires. Nt sure how you feel on sacing a turbo controller. If you can find a off brand one that might be a better idea.

Hans Grösse

Banned
I use it a lot on The Legendary Ax II, really saves your thumbs. For Bonk it basically allows you to fly and attack bosses rapidly. Bloody Wolf REALLY helps, many games in fact. It isn't cheating hell the System touts it's turbo skills right on the console.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's there, might as well use it to save yourself from getting fatigued.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Would a pad havk suffice? Just like wiring the sticks and buttons, you will need to add two switches and a few extra wires. Nt sure how you feel on sacing a turbo controller. If you can find a off brand one that might be a better idea.

I'm trying to save him from saving one. Even 3rd party pads aren't cheap.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
The PCE version of Aero Blasters seems custom programmed with the turbo switches in mind; you actually shoot slower when the switches are turned on.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
You really need the turbo for a lot of games. There's a lot of games that were made to use the feature and almost every pce controller has them except the very first one.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
If push comes to shove, I can always modify a spare NES Stick (the one with turbo functionality) to work with the PCE.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
I have one of these RetroKit USB adapters to use the Turbopads with emulators.
The turbo switches don't work though. Really disappointing.
I have to use a keyboard key to turn on rapid fire with Magic Engine.
I like to use the turbo feature when it makes sense.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Turbo is nice and certainly helps with some games. Just remember, if the turbo is built in it's not cheating.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
The very first PC Engine came w/o turbos.

But with the fast growing shooties PCE library, it really makes me believe the later pads
were made with turbos on purpose for shooters ( for the most part certainly ).

Either that, or to make your buttons last longer by avoiding a constant mash.
It also makes your playing more comfortable.

Depends on one's point of view.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I've always thought that the turbo feature was the origin of the namesake Turbografx-16.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
In Super Star Soldier if you turbo on button I, then your level one satellites rotate around you just like they are level two satellites :)