Eprom Programmer?

leonk

Marked Wolf
It's called a DC to DC converter and all modern programmers have one.

I don't trust it. Some 27C EPROMs require up to 25V to properly write. Yes, they'll write at 10-15V but how good will those writes be 5 years down the road!?! If your programmer uses USB and you're using 27C EPROMs, connect the darn external brick. Good programmers won't let you burn if they can't detect the extra Ac/Dc power.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Mine bugs the shit out of me when I don't connect it.

It trains you to hook it up.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
So, what would be the best choice: Top3000 or VP-390? (Out of the more affordable ones)

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
http://www.weilei.com/VP-390e.htm

VP-390

48 Pin ZIF socket with Popular pin-drivers. (A Must.)
Interface with LAPTOP, PC or compatibles through USB port. (A Plus. USB is fast.)
Test TTL/CMOS logic ICs and Dynamic/Static Random Access Memory devices (Very handy)
Automaticly Identifies the manufacturer and type of E(E)PROMs, Auto identifies TTL/CMOS logic IC (Standard.)
Not need exterior adapter for mostly devices. (Don't care, hook it up anyways.)
Universal DIP, PLCC, QFP, TSOP, PSOP, SOIC, SSOP, SDIP adapters. (A Must.)
Supports WindowsXP/Vista/ Windows 7 (32bit and 64bit)/ Windows 8 (32bit and 64bit) (Also a Must.)
Chinese(Simplified),Chinese(Traditional),English,Korean,Poland,Italian,Portuguese,Dutch, Turkish and Hungary. (Has English.)

PROM: N/CMOS E(E)PROM, SeriesE(E)PROM, and FLASH Memory (Blah, Blah, Blah, ... Always check the device list. Make sure your device is there.)

http://www.weilei.com/VP-390list.htm (Has Capcom and NEO era boards covered.)

PLD: CPLD, EPLD, GAL,PEEL,PALCE and more (Programs Gals, :D)

IC TEST:
TTL (74 series), CMOS (40/45 series) Logic IC (TTL 74 series test is helpful.)
DRAM (4164, 41464 ...), SRAM (2114, 6116 ...) memory device (And so is the D/S RAM test.)

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
The vp-390 cost $200, the top3000 cost $160.

If you have $200 in hand I would buy the top3000 and invest the $40 in a good and MANDATORY eprom eraser.

If your on a budget than clearly the top3000 is the best option.

The top3000 has all the capability of the vp-390.

Make sure to double check the device list.

BTW I have had my top2049 for years and have had no issue programming with only usb power. That one exception being the brand of 27c4002 I was having issues burning will not burn with either usb power or even with the AC adapter plugged in.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
The vp-390 is available on aliexpress for $165 shipped, but I haven't used it. Still looking at my options but either going to pick up one of these or the top3000 in the near future. Thanks for all the info everyone.

Fox1

20 Year Member
I doubt I'll be doing any black CPS2s or Neo carts. Since the VP-390 is basically the same price as the Top3000, should I go with the 390? The only reason I am leaning towards the 390 is because their site is in English and pretty packed, while Top's site is just a few chinese letters and download links for the software.

Fox1

20 Year Member
Well I went ahead and went for the Tops...only because I found one for $120 with free EMS shipping.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The one thing with the entry level programmers, including the wellons, is that they will not program the 64 MB roms found in CPS and NEO carts.

By definition, you can't program mask roms. They are etched at the factory. It's like asking a cd burner to write into a blank used for pressed cds.

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
Bought a second hand 48 Pin Wellon VP-280 for $ 90,- ,
I'm a noob when it comes to that stuff and never used one before but every rom I tried it burned without any probs from day one .

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
I got the ideal from the fact I tried to use my tsop adapter with the topmax2 at my work and it did not work.

Then you got an incorrect adapter... I have a TSSOP adapter at home that I bought and pin 1 was in the wrong location to work with the flash chips I was trying it with. I had to rewire it.

There are TSSOP chips with pin 1 at the corner and some with pin 1 in the middle. If you have the wrong adapter like I did then you have to rewire it.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Then you got an incorrect adapter... I have a TSSOP adapter at home that I bought and pin 1 was in the wrong location to work with the flash chips I was trying it with. I had to rewire it.

There are TSSOP chips with pin 1 at the corner and some with pin 1 in the middle. If you have the wrong adapter like I did then you have to rewire it.

Channel dude the adapter and flash chips in question work just fine unmodified with my top2049 and I also confirmed it to work with the vp280. I have been using the adapter for the last 4 years with my 2049.

Do you have a chipmax or topmax? Which models, what PC software version?

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Saw this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stager-VS48...729?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cda737621

Stager VS4800. 48 pin ZIF socket. Looks like cheap chinese crap though, just not sure if it's a TOP 2xxx or 3xxx clone (which is admittedly also cheap chinese crap albeit a slightly more polished turd). I have a mini pro right now but only supports up to 40 pin and looking to upgrade to a 48 pin eprom burner. Might just grab the TOP3000.

EDIT:

Here's the devices it supports:

http://pastebin.com/56D26Kph

The top 3000 supports:

http://www.topwin6.com/DeviceList/device3000.txt

Seems to be a clone?

Anyways, bought a TOP 3000. Eventually gonna need something in the 7x pin area though :D.

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Interesting... If you pick one up, let us know how it turns out. That's a pretty good price.

Pasky

Ya, I'm not gonna risk it, I bought the TOP3000, it's a cheap Chinese device, but it's proven to be reliable. I won't be the first to risk it with this Stager. I got the TOP3000 for $131 on ebay right now. I'll keep my mini pro around for backup as it's a pretty nice burner and the software isn't complete crap, I also have a lot of adapters for it I'm sure will work with the TOP3000. I haven't played with TOPWIN yet, hopefully it's as decent as the minipro's software.

Fox1

20 Year Member
Ya, I'm not gonna risk it, I bought the TOP3000, it's a cheap Chinese device, but it's proven to be reliable. I won't be the first to risk it with this Stager. I got the TOP3000 for $131 on ebay right now. I'll keep my mini pro around for backup as it's a pretty nice burner and the software isn't complete crap, I also have a lot of adapters for it I'm sure will work with the TOP3000. I haven't played with TOPWIN yet, hopefully it's as decent as the minipro's software.

I actually had to return it and get it repaired since it stopped working correctly. It was under warranty, but according to them the parts cost money and that's not included in the warranty...uhuh... I bought a TopMax and never looked back.

Pasky

Ya, I'm not prepared to drop $700 on a hobby just yet and if I did, I'd be damn sure it can do 70+ pins for flash memory and alike. :D

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
I got myself a topmax 2 a few months back for a very reasonable price but I've been searching for adapters for it. Thus far I've only bought a sop44 to dip44 adapter from aliexpress for $10 shipped that has served me well. I wouldn't really mind some tsop ones as well but since they are more than 48pin and finding a schematic over the adapters on aliexpress just isn't going to happen I don't really want to take a chance with those since most adapters there seems to be for the TL866 which only has 40pins and seem to have some really funky rewiring to get everything working. Anyone else have any tips on what adapters to get for cheap?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Just took the plunge on a top3000! Anyone know if an adapter is required to program a GAL16V8 chip?