Eprom Programmer?

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
No adapter is necessary, a GAL16V8 is a DIP 20 IC, it'll fit right on the ZIF socket.

Assuming you're not talking about the SOIC package that is. If it's SOIC or PLCC you'll need an adapter. Pretty sure you're talking about the DIP package though.

Last edited:

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
No adapter is necessary, a GAL16V8 is a DIP 20 IC, it'll fit right on the ZIF socket.

Assuming you're not talking about the SOIC package that is. If it's SOIC or PLCC you'll need an adapter. Pretty sure you're talking about the DIP package though.

Right on, thanks for the lightning fast reply! Yeah, I was referring to the DIP package that allows for easy placement into a socket.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Necro bump! I'm looking to retire my old Needham's EMP-20, is the top3000 still my best bet? I had a Willem or whatever that cheap ass shit was years ago, but I had to fuck around with jumpers and DIP switches. I'm not about hitting switches unless I'm rollin' down the street in my '64.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Necro bump! I'm looking to retire my old Needham's EMP-20, is the top3000 still my best bet? I had a Willem or whatever that cheap ass shit was years ago, but I had to fuck around with jumpers and DIP switches. I'm not about hitting switches unless I'm rollin' down the street in my '64.

I went for the top3000 and I'd do it again. Best bang for your buck, modern USB interface, works on latest windows release and is still receiving software updates.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I went for the top3000 and I'd do it again. Best bang for your buck, modern USB interface, works on latest windows release and is still receiving software updates.

Does the new software supports Windows 10? I would not like to update my laptop and find the programmer is not compatible. Also, where do you get the newest software? it seems they change the name of the web site frequently, I have not been able to track it lately.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member

Does the new software supports Windows 10? I would not like to update my laptop and find the programmer is not compatible. Also, where do you get the newest software? it seems they change the name of the web site frequently, I have not been able to track it lately.

I tried my bookmark for the top programmer site and it's no longer valid or offline AGAIN which is unfortunately ONE reason I don't recommend top programmers anymore, it has bitten me in the ass when I get emails from people I recommended to pick one up annoyed that they couldn't find the web site for the latest software. Do you have a bias against VP programmers, if you guys don't you might want to give them a try as this manufacturer at least is professional enough to maintain a stable domain and to be honest the vp product line is more diversified compare to the top programmer line. Be advised that with both the top and vp programmers you do stand more than just a small chance of getting a lemon which although is not a wide spread occurrence is still a concern.

I went a totally radical route when I upgraded from my top2049 a couple of months ago and bought the Smartpro 5000U-plus because I needed a stand alone programmer which doesn't require a pc for you to program.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2VF2KT4540

I'm not about hitting switches unless I'm rollin' down the street in my '64.

Oh no he just didn't

Last edited:

madman

I was looking at the Wellon devices from my searches, it looks like they bought the Needham's name so that's how I found them. There's also the EETools stuff which looks to be the best, but not sure I need to drop that kind of cash on something that I probably won't get that much use out of.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member

Yeah it works on the latest Windows 10 Pro release. The site URL linked from the software is http://www.topwin6.com/soft-1.html, but it doesn't currently resolve to an address.

Here's a mirror for the latest installer I have for it:
https://anonfiles.com/file/4d386c79d94563639ed61d2b6be0836a

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Yeah it works on the latest Windows 10 Pro release. The site URL linked from the software is http://www.topwin6.com/soft-1.html, but it doesn't currently resolve to an address.

Thanks for that. I got a top2049 and had to scrounge up topwin6 on the web because the CD wouldn't work. It's worked pretty well for the few types of eproms I've thrown at it though. I opted for the top2049 over the gq-4x because most of what I burn requires an adapter on the gq-4x, where the top2049 handles them directly.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Thanks for that. I got a top2049 and had to scrounge up topwin6 on the web because the CD wouldn't work. It's worked pretty well for the few types of eproms I've thrown at it though. I opted for the top2049 over the gq-4x because most of what I burn requires an adapter on the gq-4x, where the top2049 handles them directly.

You must be running a 32bit windows because there are no drivers for the obsolete 2049 in win7/8/10 64 bit.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
You must be running a 32bit windows because there are no drivers for the obsolete 2049 in win7/8/10 64 bit.

Yeah I keep an old 32 bit windows box around... it never sees the internet for obvious reasons. It's there for burning dreamcast games, eproms, and using winHIIP to load up PS2 hard drives.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Yeah I keep an old 32 bit windows box around... it never sees the internet for obvious reasons. It's there for burning dreamcast games, eproms, and using winHIIP to load up PS2 hard drives.

WinXP FTW!! LOL :)

Thanks for the info and file, man :)

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
In my case I just went with a triple boot Xp/7/10 configuration to handle both legacy and the latest and greatest.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I'm looking into a top3000 programmer and I just wanted to ask you guys if they are all now compatible with Windows 7/10 64-bit.

There's a couple of comments that mention they don't work with 64-bit Windows.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I'm looking into a top3000 programmer and I just wanted to ask you guys if they are all now compatible with Windows 7/10 64-bit.

There's a couple of comments that mention they don't work with 64-bit Windows.

The old top2049 are the models that are not 64 bit compatible.

As for the top3000, I can not remember with 100% certainty but I am at least 70% sure that the top3000/3100 are 64bit win7/8 compatible.

Last edited:

Asure

Captain Dick,
Top3000 working here in Win10 64 bit. But you need to turn off driver signing and use the latest software which can be a pain to download from the slow chinese site.

Yrouel

n00b
I'm pretty happy with my TL866CS (aka MiniPro) it's relatively cheap and often bundled with an handful of adapters for sop/plcc packages. The software is good enough with only bit of chinglish here and there which however it's completely tolerable. The downside is that it won't program any really old EPROM that requires more then 21Vpp (programming voltage).
Other then the classic (E)EPROM programming features it can also program MCUs, test SRAM, program GAL/PLD/CPLD and test logic ICs (74xx, 40xx, etc)

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I'm happy with the TLC866CS mostly, but the biggest and best 16-bit ROM it supports is the 27C2048 as far as I know, which is 16mbit. All others require a higher pin count. For that I'll probably look for a TOP 3000 or some similar.

Gradius2

n00b
Top3000 working here in Win10 64 bit. But you need to turn off driver signing and use the latest software which can be a pain to download from the slow chinese site.

Link please? I couldn't find any.

Edit:

Found the last versions...

TopWin6 v6.51 (2014.12.13)

There is TopWin7 there too.

Link:
http://www.deviceprog.co.uk/index.php?route=cms/documents&page=4

The last Topall is v8.25 (2015.08.05) ?

Edit2

Nevermind, v8.33 is there too:
http://www.deviceprog.co.uk/index.php?route=cms/documents&page=3

Last edited:

madman

I scooped a ChipMax2 off EBay, it was a roll of the dice since it was from one of those auction houses that pretty much sell anything and it was described as fully working. The only chip it complained about was the one an old UniBIOS that came in my Omega, not sure if there was some user error there or not, but it worked on everything else so it was a nice buy. As good as my old Needham's EMP-20 was back in the day, it was time to move on.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I scooped a ChipMax2 off EBay, it was a roll of the dice since it was from one of those auction houses that pretty much sell anything and it was described as fully working. The only chip it complained about was the one an old UniBIOS that came in my Omega, not sure if there was some user error there or not, but it worked on everything else so it was a nice buy. As good as my old Needham's EMP-20 was back in the day, it was time to move on.

Definitely a good programmer, it's the same model I used in production at work for years.