Disable Magic Key MVS converter UniBIOS

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi!

I bought the Magic Key MVS converter. It's great. It even works with my 161-in-1. However, I always have to press the black button when turning the AES on and when selecting the game. My question is: can I replace the black button on the converter with a switch so that the UniBIOS in it can be permanently disabled? if I do this (correctly) might somehow the converter get damaged from havin it disabled? My AES has a UniBIOS, so I don't need another one inside the converter. Also, i do not use cheat codes.

Thanks!!

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Easiest way is to swap in a stock bios.

Hi Xian Xi

I thought exactly the same, therefore I bought (from you, actually) a couple of stock BIOS chips, however even with them, the inconveniences with the 161-in-1 persist (black button needed when powering on or resetting or selecting the game), therefore I need to disable the UniBIOS in the adapter itself, not in the AES.

Thanks!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I don't know the exact function of the switch but if it is only to bypass the Unibios and doesn't do anything else I would assume you could just jump the connection to put it in a permanent state.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
could you just put in a switch spst so you could have it turned off and then turn it on if need be? I remember I asked Raz, and he said he never got any good info back from...from...who ever made the thing.

I don't know the exact function of the switch but if it is only to bypass the Unibios and doesn't do anything else I would assume you could just jump the connection to put it in a permanent state.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
could you just put in a switch spst so you could have it turned off and then turn it on if need be? I remember I asked Raz, and he said he never got any good info back from...from...who ever made the thing.

That's exactly what I am aiming for Neodogg, however I was worried that the converter somehow might malfunction for having the UniBIOS disabled while the game is being played. No clue how this thing works on the inside, so my fears might be nonsensical. I guess I'll try and if it breaks...I'll have to buy another one :(

Regards.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I just added a switch to my converter (connected it parallel to the push-button the converter brings) and so far it works perfectly, even with the 161-in-1. I hope it won break, because this clearly voided the warranty.

Regards.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
interesting, thanks for posting. Do you think the hot glue will hold the switch in place for an extended period of time?

I am not really sure, I have never used hot glue on any project before but I really hope it will :)

Regards.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Guess I was also expecting to see a socketed bios?

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner

the guys closed their forums so people cant complain about their stuff anymore

mcjefe

n00b
I have been considering purchasing one of these converters, but if I already have Unibios on my console it seems like this converter will be a hassle. Is there another MVS to AES model available that anyone recommends?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I heard good things about this converter, besides the cartridge input and who made it, it gets good feedback but $$$
http://www.neostore.com/Daedalus-MVS-to-AES-Neo-Geo-Converter-p/20.htm

My only complain about the Daedalus is that the MVS cartridge goes horizontal, therefore it puts strain on the connection. I've read some people have to put things (like bubble wrap) between the MVS cartridge and the AES console to help keep the game working. That's why I prefer a vertical design (like the MVS Magic Key I have).

Regards.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
so I finally got out my iron. I decided not to put in a switch because I will probably never sell this, so I just installed a jumper on the top two solder points on the black bypass switch. So far everything works, the 161 boots up straight to the menu and then into the selected game. It's nice not to have to hold the bypass switch in. It does take a couple seconds (or so it seems) to get to the game menu, I assume it's just running a check?

9688E05F-2EFE-4CE0-85A7-D2C2DF4E570F.jpg

Pantarou

Zero's Secretary
My only complain about the Daedalus is that the MVS cartridge goes horizontal, therefore it puts strain on the connection. I've read some people have to put things (like bubble wrap) between the MVS cartridge and the AES console to help keep the game working. That's why I prefer a vertical design (like the MVS Magic Key I have).

Regards.

Its a dreadful Design Choice for Carts this Large in my Opinion.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The vertical design does more damage than the horizontal.