Neo XYX Dreamcast Version

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Plug in the controller from the pad hack *after* it's booted?

Good luck w/ that-it won't last long.

It's not USB; you can't hot swap that shit.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member

You know, i totally forgot having to have peripherals plugged in before you boot was a thing.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm

I'd appreciate if you elaborated. What won't last long, and why?
Lemony specifically mentions in his sales thread that his DC padhacks need to have a 2nd player controller plugged in after it's booted.
I don't really see what the problem would be, but then again I'm not exactly an electronics guy.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I'd appreciate if you elaborated. What won't last long, and why?
Lemony specifically mentions in his sales thread that his DC padhacks need to have a 2nd player controller plugged in after it's booted.
I don't really see what the problem would be, but then again I'm not exactly an electronics guy.

Yeah, I think that 2nd controller is for the VMU saves. That's exactly what I need to do with my dual modded Hori stick that doesn't have VMU support.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I've been playing my copy of XYX in arcade mode with my CRT tated and the only issue I've noticed is some brief lag when boss fights start

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I think the crashing is only a REAL issue for the 'poor' folks like me who rely on the Tate-in-Yoko mode they specifically added to the DC release.

I haven't even bothered with it since I can't be arsed tip-toeing around the issue. I buy my games to PLAY them, but in this case, looks like this one is just going end up as a collectors piece, sitting pretty on the shelf (I got the CE set)...

Chempop

CE set, as in the one that comes with 2 copies (SE and LE)? I never understood why anyone would buy those.

Still having fun with it despite all the flaws.

Last edited:

-D-

Zero's Secretary
I would say this game isn't worth buying unless you're running a TATE setup, those other screen modes are just blech due to their technical issues. I was in the process of re-arranging my setups when I got the game, so I had to suffer through the other screen modes a few times before running it on a proper TATE setup, and honestly the game shines pretty nicely like this, I'm pretty impressed. Def reminds me of Truxton!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
This is where people play with their wang instead of the joystick. XD

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I always thought taint mode was specific to AES carts. That's how I always justified the prices.

Chempop

NeoXYX 1CC, score was just over 1/2 my best. There was no special ending.

Chempop

Thanks man. No 2nd loop, in fact besides the TLB there wasn't anything I noticed different about the ending (which is basically only a couple screens of credits). I was disappointed. Still though, I'm happy... (that I can toss this game in a swamp).

Chempop

Despite all the hilarious flaws I like it to. I just can't recommend the DC ver with all the issues it has, and the other ver is $500 so I can't recommend that either. Have you made it to the stage 5 boss? It's the coolest looking thing in the game and you just sit in the middle/bottom of the screen shooting it for 80% of the fight.
Also there are near-entire-stage safe spots, clearly the work of skilled game designers :lolz:

Also, another real pisser: sometimes my bomb fragments carry over to the next stage, but usually they reset. I have no idea what's up with that, anyone else notice this?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Despite all the hilarious flaws I like it to. I just can't recommend the DC ver with all the issues it has, and the other ver is $500 so I can't recommend that either. Have you made it to the stage 5 boss? It's the coolest looking thing in the game and you just sit in the middle/bottom of the screen shooting it for 80% of the fight.
Also there are near-entire-stage safe spots, clearly the work of skilled game designers :lolz:

Also, another real pisser: sometimes my bomb fragments carry over to the next stage, but usually they reset. I have no idea what's up with that, anyone else notice this?

Haha yeah i noticed that on the stage 5 boss. Where are the safe spots though? I could use those. Have not noticed the bomb fragments carrying over either. I know its not perfect but im happy with it considering its an indy release. I know its $500 but i think its still better than blazing star or Pulstar. My favourite neo geo shooter for sure.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I played it today at chem's, cool game, great music. Shame about the technical issues. Can't say I would pay $500 for it, and maybe not even the DC price, but it's worth playing if you know someone with it I guess.

jessiewonka

New Challenger
My DC copy arrived today -- plays fine horizontally, crisp and clear. Vertical is pretty awful, at least in s-video (awaiting a Hanzo). Tate looks good, but unless others can come over to help me rotate my plasma, I'll have to pass.

It does seem like the ship darts around a bit too quickly. After playing Blazing Lazers most recently, I'd like the same method of manually adjusting my ship's speed.

Chempop

My DC copy arrived today -- plays fine horizontally, crisp and clear. Vertical is pretty awful, at least in s-video (awaiting a Hanzo). Tate looks good, but unless others can come over to help me rotate my plasma, I'll have to pass.

It does seem like the ship darts around a bit too quickly. After playing Blazing Lazers most recently, I'd like the same method of manually adjusting my ship's speed.

With VGA in tate I prefer it without scanlines, but that's on a trisync CRT. The ship speed is daunting for most, unless you learned garegga with miyamoto who moves nearly identical. Good luck with stage 2 midboss.

jessiewonka

New Challenger
With VGA in tate I prefer it without scanlines, but that's on a trisync CRT. The ship speed is daunting for most, unless you learned garegga with miyamoto who moves nearly identical. Good luck with stage 2 midboss.

I'll need it. I limped my way through Gunbird 2 today. I may be drawn to shmups but I'm not so good at them. In that one I had to max out my ship's speed.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I think the ship speed is spot on. It did take some getting used to but if you're playing for score you need that speed to be able to grab those medals......the ones that keep the chain going especially.