Neo XYX Dreamcast Version

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
It's a real shame about all the problems with the DC port. Most people will only have a chance to play it on DC so it's a really poor advertisement for NG DEV.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
It's a real shame about all the problems with the DC port. Most people will only have a chance to play it on DC so it's a really poor advertisement for NG DEV.

Hearing about all these issues has made it a depressing affair to me when I am about to throw down on the DC ports.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I've only been playing in arcade mode with a tated monitor. No glaring issues with lag vs any other release I have.

That pause trick to demonstrate lag isn't always a sure fire way of testing lag, but perhaps it can be for testing one game vs another. Some are system related in general... as in most saturn pewps will do the pause movement thing pretty consistently.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Teddy, may I ask what sort of controller/stick you are using. I've been testing this game all evening on different setups. I haven't had any issues when using stock DC pads via s-video. A lot of the trouble I'm having is on the padhack setup, which could be a number of issues at hand. Several others are reporting crashing on their custom setups with controller adapters and whatnot.

It seems like a fun game, I'd like to enjoy playing it on my cab but right now it isn't looking too hopeful.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Hola Chemo. I'm using DC --> VGA --> tated LCD. Tested with normal /stock DC pad and have also been using the dual modded hori stick I have on the game's stick mode (button a,b,c) and both perform similarly. I haven't tried any of the other screen modes as the arcade was visually the best and sharpest given my set-up. Would be glad to test the other modes though.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
My question is, why did QC even allow this quirk to be in the final game??

I know there are lots of people here who keep lapping up NG:Dev Team releases, but to me it is homebrew junk best served as shareware on PC or similar. The fact people will pay proper retail money for these releases is beyond me.

They intentionally put a boss timer feature in, not just for this game but for Last Hope Pink Bullets and Fast Striker as well. If you do not kill the boss within the time limit, the boss self destructs and you get no bonus for it.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
LOL, really? I mean, really? Home brew junk best served as shareware on the PC? What a stupid thing to say. The team is providing something new for Neo Geo fans. Tons of people slap together home brew flash games and junk for PC (and many of those are good too), but how many of them are out there making carts for MVS or home systems? Like that's even close to being the same technical exercise.

I'm not going to go too far on a limb here by saying their quality has now met or exceeded many of the older Neo Geo releases. I think they've far exceeded the pile of accepted releases we got at the end from Evoga, Visco and SNK themselves. They're a small group of dedicated Neo fans that are doing more than just consuming... They're actually making something for the fans. Seriously, Tarma, I know you're old hat around here, but go fuck that attitude right in its ass. Many of us are very happy people like NG Dev and Kurtz are still bringing releases to this site.

Whoa Nelly!!! Keep your panties on dude, I'm only passing an opinion. You like their stuff and you're happy to pay what they ask for it, good for you. I'm sure I buy stuff you don't like, but I'm not going to rant at you over it!!

I'm not a fan of what they've done so far, imho, it offers nothing new, rips off several games that do it better, and if they're trying to make themselves the Euro-Cave then they should pack up and go home.

There'll always be a home for homebrew (no pun intended) but I feel it should be priced as such and marketed as such. They try and push themselves as a proper dev team and they're not... otherwise they'd be publishing games on next gen and not defunct Sega & SNK hardware.

I appreciate there will always be people who crave new releases on defunct systems, but I am a purist and for me AES/MVS ceased at Sam Sho 5 Special and Dreamcast at Karous... so f'nar.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
Interesting point.

But then, why would I EVER play it with the filter enabled on a beautiful CRT screen??

I'll try that out though. Not sure how, or why that would help... but it's worth a look.

I found that turning the filter off makes it look better anyway, the filter only adds a haze effect it looks much cleaner and crisp with the filter off.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Whoa Nelly!!! Keep your panties on dude, I'm only passing an opinion. You like their stuff and you're happy to pay what they ask for it, good for you. I'm sure I buy stuff you don't like, but I'm not going to rant at you over it!!

I'm not a fan of what they've done so far, imho, it offers nothing new, rips off several games that do it better, and if they're trying to make themselves the Euro-Cave then they should pack up and go home.

There'll always be a home for homebrew (no pun intended) but I feel it should be priced as such and marketed as such. They try and push themselves as a proper dev team and they're not... otherwise they'd be publishing games on next gen and not defunct Sega & SNK hardware.

I appreciate there will always be people who crave new releases on defunct systems, but I am a purist and for me AES/MVS ceased at Sam Sho 5 Special and Dreamcast at Karous... so f'nar.

You're certainly entitled to voice your opinion and no one is saying you have to like the games but to basically refer to NG: DEV's work as garbage is a bit over the top.

Back to the topic at hand.......has anyone brought up these issues with NG: DEV?

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Back to the topic at hand.......has anyone brought up these issues with NG: DEV?
I haven't bothered yet.

I can't even quantify if everyone is even having these issues. After all, it seems that if you run the game in Tate or Horizontal (ugh!) mode, then the game appears to run perfectly fine.

It's only when you approach the 'DC exclusive screen mode' Vertical S/Scaled, that you start to encounter issues with input lag and crashes/freezing.

No one else has really spoken up about it at all. Either because:

1. Most PPL run their shooters (luckily for them) via Tate set-up for DC
2. PPL are seemingly happy to play the game as a horizontal shooter instead(?!!)
3. PPL are completely unaware of experiencing input lag
4. Their copies aren't experiencing crashes, freezes OR lag in "Vertical S" mode (which I think ignorance & luck is at play here)

And, to sound like a broken record again, I bought the DC version because it (now) included provisions for proper play on a 'Yoko' set-up.

I'll have to check out some other more DC-centric and shmup-centric forums and see what the general consensus is, I guess...

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Well, I can confirm i crashed in Vertical.S mode yesterday as well - Snake boss transformation just like you said

I normally don't play in this mode. im doing DC -> SVideo -> Sony PVM in TATE (Arcade) mode and i havent experienced any crashing at all, however controls just feel floaty to me. There is absolutely more input lag in vertical.s mode than arcade mode.

overall, this is a pretty average port of a good game. It's a shame

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Well, I can confirm i crashed in Vertical.S mode yesterday as well - Snake boss transformation just like you said

I normally don't play in this mode. im doing DC -> SVideo -> Sony PVM in TATE (Arcade) mode and i havent experienced any crashing at all, however controls just feel floaty to me. There is absolutely more input lag in vertical.s mode than arcade mode.

overall, this is a pretty average port of a good game. It's a shame

OK, I can confirm similar behavior with vertical.s mode. I think the laggy-ness may have to do with the screen dimensions being stretched horizontally by default in vert.s mode vs. the arcade mode, thus feels sluggish on vert.s and more "floaty" or touchy in the regular arcade mode. Who knows though, there is definitely a difference. After spending the majority of my time with the game in some sort of vert mode, the horizontal just seems like an odd option. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but I prefer vert. Ironically, I'm better at horizontal mode.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
As I play now, I definitely think something to do with the screen dimensions on each mode. In arcade mode, the :up: stick takes your ship forward quite a bit faster than side to side... when it's in the other modes, it's definitely not as apparent.

Chempop

Yeah, I was reducing the width of the screen considerably to make it more comparable to the arcade dimensions. regardless, avoid vertical S and stick with arcade (tate) and you should be fine. Now about the crashing and whatnot i was experiencing, others are reporting that it's only a problem in vert S mode but it was happening for me in arcade mode (then again I has hooked up to a jamma padhack and was experiencing a slew of problems.

Thanks for the info Teddster :D

Darkneo

Morden's Lackey
I really want to get this game for my DC but i hearing alot of problems with Freeze up and lag with the DC Arcade Stick. How is the Normal DC Controller while playing it? any lag issues there? also is it s-video setup with the freeze up problem? Has anyone had problems with the AES Version as i might just put out the money on that instead of DC Version. any advice would be helpful to Me before i put in my order for either versions! Thankyou :-)

Chempop

It should be fine with s-video in arcade (tate) mode. Had it running for hours last night, credit fed through, no hiccups at all.
I'll be testing VGA mode later today, I must admit it's a pretty cool game :) Rozyrg did a nice job.
[edit]

FINALLY got this game working with a jamma padhack! :multi_co:
Literally had to try ever combination of possibilities to get it functional and completely crash and glitch free.

Here's how I did it (for those who might be experiencing the headache I've been though the past 24 hours.

NO TRIGGERS enabled with the control options or even having the buttons for them plugged in.
Use the STICK (A B C) setup.

Have 1 stock DC pad plugged in w/memory card when you turn on the DC.

Plug in the controller from the padhack after it's booted.

If I did anything else (or how I have it normally setup) not only would the input commands be ALL SCREWED UP, but the game would crash every single time after clearing stage 1 (yes, even in Arcade Tate screen mode).

Finally I can enjoy this game properly! Now if only I could get past stage 4 lol Shit is HARD!

Last edited:

Chempop

:vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik:
13020136943_c2b7619e79_c.jpg

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I really want to get this game for my DC but i hearing alot of problems with Freeze up and lag with the DC Arcade Stick. How is the Normal DC Controller while playing it? any lag issues there? also is it s-video setup with the freeze up problem? Has anyone had problems with the AES Version as i might just put out the money on that instead of DC Version. any advice would be helpful to Me before i put in my order for either versions! Thankyou :-)

I have it on MVS. No issues with crashing or lag at all and i have played it a lot.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I have it on MVS. No issues with crashing or lag at all and i have played it a lot.

I can confirm this as well...no issues at all.

Chem, glad to hear you got it running....no idea how you figured all that out though :)

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
So apparently I'm the only one that never got his copy it seems... anyone else still waiting for there pre order DC version?

Chempop

NG: DEV mentioned their printing of LE's was short and they'd include some bookmarks for people who were still waiting.
I got the SE from play-asia btw.

Chem, glad to hear you got it running....no idea how you figured all that out though

Thanks, me too! I eventually figured out it had to do with the trigger buttons sending zonky signals.

Chempop

How about paying for a copy and reward their hard work for a change?

I'd normally agree, but this game has several glitches/bugs so I understand if people re hesitant.

I was happy to support the game's creator Rozyrg. This is his first console release iirc and I'd like to see more.

Last edited: