Neo XYX Dreamcast Version

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
Anyone else grab this version?
Just made my video review, please forgive the amateur style as I am still getting the hang of making vids.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Awesome, thanks! I hope mine arrives this week.
"Tate, the art of turning your screen or monitor 90 degrees" :lolz:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Nice review. How do you find the difficulty? I find it pretty hard tbh.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Great review, very well done. Man I really can't wait to get my DC copy in the mail!

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I think it's pretty tough tbh.

It took me a few attempts to clear the first stage without mistakenly throwing away a life. I imagine a 1CC will be challenging as I have no idea if extends are available or not. It doesn't suggest they are...

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I think it's pretty tough tbh.

It took me a few attempts to clear the first stage without mistakenly throwing away a life. I imagine a 1CC will be challenging as I have no idea if extends are available or not. It doesn't suggest they are...

You get one at 10 million.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Anyone know how the medal chaining works in this game?

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
The game has just about the right amount of challenge. Many of the bullets can be avoided by bobbing and weaving. Later in the game you have to have certain waves of billets memorized because they are totally unavoidable.

NeoGeoNinja

pick them up in order 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. If you miss one then the medals restart.
Hahaha. Yeah, pretty much this.

Once you 'max' out the medals at XIX/19 (I think?) the standard gold medals you see turn into bigger gold medals containing an X, as long as you maintain the max medal chaining.

I like it...

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
Caught this yesterday, very cool review sir.
Also - bit of a podcast fanatic - will check out the blog & cast.

Great game - rough & tough !!

It's been removed now, but I did see YT video of someone exploiting dead zones / clearing stages without firing a shot - why anyone would want to do that is beyond me, kind of defeats the point.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
It's been removed now, but I did see YT video of someone exploiting dead zones / clearing stages without firing a shot - why anyone would want to do that is beyond me, kind of defeats the point.

My question is, why did QC even allow this quirk to be in the final game??

I know there are lots of people here who keep lapping up NG:Dev Team releases, but to me it is homebrew junk best served as shareware on PC or similar. The fact people will pay proper retail money for these releases is beyond me.

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant

I took another look around for the video but it seems the entire channel has gone
(Lloyd Retrodreaming http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUAxYPDLhuULc-Gugz_nwtUQ)

TBH Tarma, I don’t think it’s doable with the MVS & home versions & I doubt it’s an intended mode lol.
I suppose clearing stages without firing would bring it’s own challenge though, I dunno...

Folks pay what they will, personally I like the game.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member

I know there are lots of people here who keep lapping up NG:Dev Team releases, but to me it is homebrew junk best served as shareware on PC or similar. The fact people will pay proper retail money for these releases is beyond me.

LOL, really? I mean, really? Home brew junk best served as shareware on the PC? What a stupid thing to say. The team is providing something new for Neo Geo fans. Tons of people slap together home brew flash games and junk for PC (and many of those are good too), but how many of them are out there making carts for MVS or home systems? Like that's even close to being the same technical exercise.

I'm not going to go too far on a limb here by saying their quality has now met or exceeded many of the older Neo Geo releases. I think they've far exceeded the pile of accepted releases we got at the end from Evoga, Visco and SNK themselves. They're a small group of dedicated Neo fans that are doing more than just consuming... They're actually making something for the fans. Seriously, Tarma, I know you're old hat around here, but go fuck that attitude right in its ass. Many of us are very happy people like NG Dev and Kurtz are still bringing releases to this site.

Chempop

Dinked around with the DC port for a little while. I think it's a botched port, but then again I was struggling to even set it up properly on my blast city.
The controls for the new DC screen-modes are worthless, like others have mentioned they are lagtastic and unplayable.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Dinked around with the DC port for a little while. I think it's a botched port, but then again I was struggling to even set it up properly on my blast city.
The controls for the new DC screen-modes are worthless, like others have mentioned they are lagtastic and unplayable.

Unless this really is a botched port to the DC, then... Tarma... I'd take it back. They definitely should have tested it better before releasing it.

The MVS version had a couple hiccups at first too, but with the USB update option those were fixed very quickly. Of course, the DC version doesn't have that luxury and it would be incredibly frustrating if there was an issue in this pressing...

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member

Its only Laggy if you are playing it on a newer TV on my CRT I find it to be perfect.

Chempop

Its only Laggy if you are playing it on a newer TV on my CRT I find it to be perfect.

I only use CRTs. Again, this was only noticeable so far with the yoko-vert mode. After I eat I'll test hori mode and arcade mode and see if it helps.
Maybe it was an issue having the DC hooked up to my arcade cabinet, but since every other DC game I use with it works flawlessly....

NeoGeoNinja

I mentioned this in the (general) Neo XYX thread we have ongoing here.

Yes, the new screen modes, that I specifically bought the DC version for to play on my set-up are worthless. The Vertical mode is... WTF... and the Vertical.S (vertical scaled) mode suffers with not only horrible input lag, but it also freezes/crashes randomly... although, usage of the Bomb will be more likely to crash it than not (i.e. try bombing the bosses 2nd transformation/snake boss at the end of Stage 4 in Vertical S mode)

Unless this really is a botched port to the DC, then... Tarma... I'd take it back. They definitely should have tested it better before releasing it.

The MVS version had a couple hiccups at first too, but with the USB update option those were fixed very quickly. Of course, the DC version doesn't have that luxury and it would be incredibly frustrating if there was an issue in this pressing...
Having 'put up' with playing it as a horizontal/side on shooter (with rotated HUD), it's immediately apparent that the game play is MUCH sharper.

IF... the Neo release contained a proper Tate-in-Yoko mode (which, technically, I understand it cant) I would have plumped for one of those, as it's a lovely game. But, due to set-up limitations, I opted for the DC release FOR these additional screen modes, and as you say, it's been an exercise in frustration. I almost can't believe it. It's a joke!

Not true. I've been playing mine on a 29" Toshiba CRT in Tate-in-Yoko/Vertical S (scaled) mode and if the lag doesn't interfere with your bullet weaving, the game unexpectedly freezing will.

I only use CRTs. Again, this was only noticeable so far with the yoko-vert mode. After I eat I'll test hori mode and arcade mode and see if it helps.
Maybe it was an issue having the DC hooked up to my arcade cabinet, but since every other DC game I use with it works flawlessly....
You're spot on.

It's only an issue with the Vertical Scaled mode. I highly suspect the other modes to be perfect...

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
Not true. I've been playing mine on a 29" Toshiba CRT in Tate-in-Yoko/Vertical S (scaled) mode and if the lag doesn't interfere with your bullet weaving, the game unexpectedly freezing will.

I am not experiencing any controller lag what so ever or freezing.
Have you turned the "filter" off perhaps that has something to do with it?

NeoGeoNinja

I am not experiencing any controller lag what so ever or freezing.
Have you turned the "filter" off perhaps that has something to do with it?

Interesting point.

But then, why would I EVER play it with the filter enabled on a beautiful CRT screen??

I'll try that out though. Not sure how, or why that would help... but it's worth a look.

Chempop

All screen modes via VGA>CRT have various amounts of lag, very unfortunate. I tried S-vid on a CRT and Arcade mode felt pretty tight. One way to test is to hold a direction, pause, let go of direction, then unpause. If the ship moves after you unpause, the controls have lag.

I'm also having an absurdly difficult time having this game run properly using one of Lemony's padhacks. Constant uncontrollable inputs, freezing/crashing left and right, just not a happening scene what-so-ever. Anyone else using this setup have it working? I went back and tested a few legit releases to make sure it wasn't the padhack and they worked fine as always. I guess independent releases are bound to have issues... TO THE VOLCANO with this one. :very_ang: