Neo XYX Dreamcast Version

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
The ship lag is terrible in vertical.s mode. Switched tate mode - so much better. NG Dev are getting better with their game design, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. How do you get the game to create a save file? I've tried different systems, memory cards, and controllers. It won't save anything.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Seems NG: Dev would have been better off just having Hori and Tate mode like the MVS and doing away with all the other bullshit screen modes for the DC. Did they even test them?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
The ship lag is terrible in vertical.s mode. Switched tate mode - so much better. NG Dev are getting better with their game design, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. How do you get the game to create a save file? I've tried different systems, memory cards, and controllers. It won't save anything.

It automatically created a save on my DC, no prompts or notifications about it

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
CE set, as in the one that comes with 2 copies (SE and LE)? I never understood why anyone would buy those.

Still having fun with it despite all the flaws.
Hey.

Yeah, I admit it. I like having the nice box set... playing the RE whilst keeping the LE unused/sealed.

Simply put, if NGDEV, or other DC releases had only released single versions of their games, I would only buy ONE copy, open it and play it (i.e. Karous & Pink Bullets).

However, when RE & LE versions are released per DC title (i.e. Under Defeat, THExelica, Gunlord etc) I will usually buy both and only open and play the RE. This is a practice I ONLY undertake with the DC and it all started with Border Down & SNShiro II.

The latest iteration of this is NeoXYX... however, in this instance, the sealed copy is actually more useful.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Seems NG: Dev would have been better off just having Hori and Tate mode like the MVS and doing away with all the other bullshit screen modes for the DC. Did they even test them?
Well, my copy fucked up in the first instance of playing it so... doubtful.

Seems I was one of the VERY few who specifically bought into their DC release BECAUSE it contained a 'new screen mode exclusive to DC!' that allowed me to play the game vertically without the need to rotate my TV.

And now I hear, after the DC pressing... that a 1.2 update is on the horizon...??!?!?!!

"Fuck!"

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
I finally got it to save after completely formatting the memory card.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Finally beat this game with the 8 credits they give you, just started my eighth credit when I killed TLB. :D

Still a ways off from a 1CC though, the best I've done was made it to the 3rd stage boss on one credit.

For the hell of it, I also made a CodeBreaker cheat for unlimited credits so you can credit dump and practice the later stages:
Code:
;Neo XYX [MK1014] [V1.000]
Infinite Credits 01156BA0 00000099

I might try and make some to start off at a given stage too.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
The TLB only appears when you get past the last regular boss on your first credit.

it looks like this:
Spoiler:
13335979853_b26d5be712_z.jpg

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
The TLB only appears when you get past the last regular boss on your first credit.

it looks like this:
Spoiler:
13335979853_b26d5be712_z.jpg

Awesome, did not realize that! Even more reason for me to keep working on a 1CC.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
What's your score after stage 1 and after stage 2? I would try to learn how to get the medals maxed either before or soon after the stage 1 midboss, It'll help you get those extends rolling faster.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
What's your score after stage 1 and after stage 2? I would try to learn how to get the medals maxed either before or soon after the stage 1 midboss, It'll help you get those extends rolling faster.

Best I've done on stage 1 is a little over 1 million, which requires maxing medals prior to the boss. I found that staying close to the top of the screen helps with maxing medals earlier, since it allows you to grab them as quickly as possible after they are dropped and makes it easier to avoid duplicate medals of the same rank.

Best I've done at the end of stage 2 is 3.48 million points, but I have a tough time keeping my chain going up until that point (same chain from start of stage 1).

If you drop your chain at all, it really makes it hard to get a decent score.

Kaike

Geese's Thug
So I just got this for my DC cuz the MVS version is out of print and hella expensive but I was really torn between getting this or Gunlord. Any thoughts on what game is better? I know they are 2 different types of games but is Gunlord even worth getting?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
So I just got this for my DC cuz the MVS version is out of print and hella expensive but I was really torn between getting this or Gunlord. Any thoughts on what game is better? I know they are 2 different types of games but is Gunlord even worth getting?

A lot of people like gunlord though I haven't played it myself. If you like Turrican style games it's probably worth picking up.

nork69

Marked Wolf
10 Year Member
Good review man, I'm happy to discover that game.